Let's Talk Tow Rigs

Wink

I'm looking at a '17 Chevrolet Dually with the 6.0.

Currently have a 15' 3/4 ton Duramax, which does everything we need it to do, but it's getting up there on miles and I'd like to punt it before it falls off a cliff with depreciation. 

Pulling a 24' atm, but we're looking long term and potentially two cars with a 38+ goose neck. 

Does anyone have experience with these 6.0 gassers? Is there enough grunt to pull?

47 minutes ago, Wink said:

I'm looking at a '17 Chevrolet Dually with the 6.0.

Currently have a 15' 3/4 ton Duramax, which does everything we need it to do, but it's getting up there on miles and I'd like to punt it before it falls off a cliff with depreciation. 

Pulling a 24' atm, but we're looking long term and potentially two cars with a 38+ goose neck. 

Does anyone have experience with these 6.0 gassers? Is there enough grunt to pull?

The Gen V 6.0s are great, but I think even with the 6L90 or whatever they're strapping to them these days, you're going to struggle with a 2 car and all the associated gear.  That's a lot of weight, and it may struggle on hills, and I'd bet the fuel mileage gets really yucky in a hurry.

I despise most of Chryslers offerings, but the Cummins powerplant is hard to beat on so many levels that it makes up for it for sure.  We've towing with a 6.4 Hemi for a while and there are actual burn marks on my credit card because it never gets a chance to cool.  It just gets angrily slammed into one gas pump after another, but it's not my truck so I can only whine so much.

38’ plus gooseneck, two cars, and all the things needed to run two cars the 6.0 dually will definitely tow it down the road. I drive a 6.0 service body truck every day. You would probably enjoy the ride and save some fuel with a diesel powered dually. Dodge, Ford, GMC/Chevy diesels take your pick. Personally I would love to have a Cummins powered truck but my Ford super duty could tow anything I could hook to it. Maybe a couple year older dodge diesel?  

Ford has lost its reliability, and costs stupid $ , Dodge cummings , lots to say good about the ENGINE, rest of the truck/company are, in my opinion, questionable at best with Fiat on top of Mercedes and now a dash of Renault... 

Chevy, we run a 2002 6.0 service body 2500/open trailer with no problem, I imagine the latest offering should do better but honestly no clue.

Older Cummings mated to a Allison, in a Chevy body, THAT, could be a nice hauler 🤩

Sorry, no practical input here

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
19 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Sorry, no practical input here

Ed, 

Sounds like you haven't driven any new Rams lately. 

No Fiat content  - probably one of the last pure Chrysler products being built right now besides the L platform (300, Charger, Challenger), and the minivans.

Our truck group has always been one of the best platforms/ engineering groups the company has, and the newest DT platform Rams prove it. 

Smoothest riding truck out there, even the 3/4 and 1 tons, and with the Cummins Diesel, you can't beat them for capability, ride quality and creature comforts.

Ram has made huge strides in their trucks in the last 10-15 years, and have made significant impact into Chevy and Ford's market share dominance they enjoyed for many years prior. Unfortunately, the brand is still stuck with some of the opinions of their past. Anyone looking for a new truck needs to go to the local dealer and take one for a drive. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 2

Drove a 2019 base RAM 1500, no crossover point to really compare a 3500, Yes I am out of touch on this topic.

Messed with more then a few aging eco boost and 5.4 triton furds, ugh, they killed something good, waiting to see the newer stuff in 3 yrs

Worked on/ drove a bunch of 2015/16 GMC base fleet 1500s, GM, my favorite brand, but also saddened. On a plus note, getting really fast at changing AC condensers....

Disclaimer: Never have been  a dodge fan, not sure Im a fan of much anything at this point 😕

Edited by Team Infiniti

• Technical Advisory Committee

I was able to borrow a 2018 Ford F-250 diesel from a great friend to tow the premium dudes e30 to Indy this year. I towed it on an open trailer I rented from U-Haul. I normally tow a heavy 28’ V nose with a 2001 Chevy 1 ton extended Van. 

The 2018 Ford F-250 was like driving a Cadillac combined with the starship enterprise. It felt fast even towing 4,000#. I’m not talking about fast for towing, I mean faster than an EG civic while towing. It felt closer to my OG Lexus LS inside than my Saab too. 

I don’t often drive new cars, my daily is a 1999 Saab, but the 2018 Ford Super Duty was absolutely incredible. Everyone that rode in the truck had only the nicest things to say. I did a wash and detail to the truck and everything appeared really well put together.

I can’t compare to anything else really, so this review is worthless.... but the Ford Super Duty diesel truck is amazing. 

Edited by red0
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Snake said:

Get a 2500 with a cummins.

/end thread 

"shipping crate" 🤣  - if you've never watched that vid on the Zip Ties N Bias Plies YouTube channel, you all owe it to yourself. 

I am not a Dodge fanboi, but we borrowed our neighbors one trip to Sebring. Not gonna lie everything about it was pretty amazing, I believe it was a '15 or '16 so it still had the junk auto tranny. 3 in 70k miles and he was over it and went back to a new F350. Heard the new trans is better, or better yet find one with a manual.

What's the consensus on used older semi's in the 20-25k price range? I know you have a whole new set of issues, CDL, not useful for anything but racing, etc... but man, if you do 3-4 distance races a year (to me "distance" is over 10 hrs each way) it starts to make a lot of sense VS anything newer from the big three. My logic being that a used medium-to-high mileage semi pulling anything that is a small stacker or less will not even know there is a load behind it VS anything-dually. Add to that a 70k+ price tag and it's just a whole lot of nope. 

8 minutes ago, pintodave said:

"shipping crate" 🤣  - if you've never watched that vid on the Zip Ties N Bias Plies YouTube channel, you all owe it to yourself. 

I am not a Dodge fanboi, but we borrowed our neighbors one trip to Sebring. Not gonna lie everything about it was pretty amazing, I believe it was a '15 or '16 so it still had the junk auto tranny. 3 in 70k miles and he was over it and went back to a new F350. Heard the new trans is better, or better yet find one with a manual.

What's the consensus on used older semi's in the 20-25k price range? I know you have a whole new set of issues, CDL, not useful for anything but racing, etc... but man, if you do 3-4 distance races a year (to me "distance" is over 10 hrs each way) it starts to make a lot of sense VS anything newer from the big three. My logic being that a used medium-to-high mileage semi pulling anything that is a small stacker or less will not even know there is a load behind it VS anything-dually. Add to that a 70k+ price tag and it's just a whole lot of nope. 

Semi registration is expensive. 2-3k expensive

I'll throw a different-but-related semi-truck idea out there. Buy a used stacker/cup hauler instead of a new dually, rent a Penske/Ryder semi to take it to the races, rent one (or two) spots out in the trailer to pay for rental. Rough-pricing shows a couple hundred bucks a day/grand a week. I know no other details but this seems like a viable solution. Catch a good deal on a used stacker, rent the expensive part that always needs maintenance and depreciates like crazy. 

If you couldn't tell, the topic of <reliable> tow rigs and long distance hauling is interesting to me, I'd love to run more distance races.

2 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Less trailer

Yup - that is the other solution. I've been telling my stepdad this same thing - either over-kill it with a semi or under-kill a dually with a lighter total package.

Edit: but smaller package has disadvantages too - less security when traveling/sleeping/not at track, lack of self-containment/need to rent hotel rooms. 

Or just keep renting for distance races 🤣

Edited by pintodave
  • Like 1

I will add some details about using a 2018 Ford F350 with a 6.7 diesel pulling a 32' with a full load, one or two cars and spares. Enough spares to build another car.

I had a 2000 F250 previous but we totaled it in route to BIR a couple summers back and moved to the new one. Yes it was spendy but there was no comparison in the two trucks

and towing is a huge difference. I can pull down the road at any speed I wish with a  full load. It will easily pass at any speed with no hesitation as you can ask the team riding along.

The ride and comfort is also a treat and it has all the options available and a as Red0 has stated it is fast. My son was following us down to NCM in his Ford fusion and sat right in tight to the trailer and got the best mileage he has every gotten. He also had trouble staying with us at times.

As for weight in trailer, it is a Sundowner all aluminum 32' tongue pull but is packed normally with one car and all the spares and tools. If I had to guess maybe total weight of 6500-7500

lbs.  Might be closer to 10klbs as I have never weighed it. Just a guess. I thought my old 7.3 was a really good tow rig until I moved to this new one. I did buy the extended-extended warranty because of all the electronics on it and would recommend that without hesitation to anyone. 

Only issue to date was some silly sensor in the emissions and the dash touch panel lock up once, was about to do a factory reset and worked fine ever since. About 35K miles so far and plan to own it until it dies.

• Like 1

2001 Duramax with 194.000 miles, just this week I installed the lowest tune from a vintage NIB Superchips 2705. Looks like I'll be keeping this one for a long time. :) 

Drove my co-driver's 2018 Dodge 3500 Cummins back from Portland with a 28 foot enclosed trailer and as everyone has said, pretty impressive truck but my old Chebby still works very well - until I win the lottery.