Tire recommendations

mb45

Hello all.

We run a 2003 Mercedes C320. We usually run Dunlop Direzza ZIII but we can't get any in time for Laguna in Dec.

We are looking at getting Nexen N FERA SUR4G,  Kumho Ecsta V720,  Falken Azenis RT615K+,  Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R, or BFG g-Force Rival S 1.5.  We run 255/40 17.

I know you have opinions so lets have em!!

Thanks in advance!

Charlie

55 minutes ago, mender said:

We ran the Z3s and now run the RS-4s. 

42 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

The rs4 have enough pace to win, and last foreva.

RS-4’s are not on their list and are not available according to TR.

OP, Nexen’s and Falken’s will last you the weekend most likely. RE-71’s- yeah, good luck with that unless the 255 is well over OE tire size. No experience with 720’s. The 1.5’s I’ve read can’t handle the heat of endurance racing and are similar in life as the RE-71’s

6 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

What wheel width?  I would consider changing widths, even to something narrower to run the rs4 over the ziii.

Section width and tread width for the Z3 255/40/17 is 9.7" and 9" respectively; RS-4 in 245/40/17 is 10.1" and 9". Same tread width, slightly more section width so will fit on your present rims.

There are 8 available, grab them!

Edited by mender
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ABR-Glen said:

Agreed, I would run the 245/45/17 RS-4 and not give it a second thought. 

Our rims are 8.5 inch wide.

We have run the ZIII in 245s just didn't feel like the same grip but did ok. We have run the Falkens but didn't feel as good as the ZII's, those just barely went two 8 hour races.  

So I think we will probably just get the ZIII's in 245 for this race.

We will run some lucky dog races this year so our program going forward is probably to run RS-4 and will just keep buying those at 2 or 3 sets at a time. 

I had read somewhere that the RS-4's aren't very good unless you can get the temps up??

How do you think Champ Car will feel about showing up with those Lucky branded tires on??

We ran the 205/50/15 Z3s on 15 x 7 rims at Portland, first day was mid '80s for temp and the tires did well, pretty good grip and tread wear was also pretty good. Started the next day expecting to get through, had a red flag part way through the second stint and checked the tires, left front wasn't corded but was wearing fast, swapped on some old RE-71Rs onto the left side at the next pitstop. 

The year-old RE-71Rs had more grip than the Z3s and lasted at least as well. Temps were in the mid 90's that day which I'm pretty sure is why the Z3s didn't work well. 

We went to 225/45/15 RS-4s on 15 x 9 rims next for ORP, unfortunately my first driver broke a rim in the first 35 minutes and we ended up running on the remains of the Portland tires so no direct comparison. Next time out was at Castrol with some suspension upgrades and the change in lap time from the old suspension and Z3s was very noticable.

Don't know the tire temps but my other main co-driver took the first stint at Castrol. He first complained of understeer as the front tires came up to temp, then a couple of laps later of oversteer as the rears came up (FWD with 67/33 weight split) then silence on the radio. After getting out, I asked him what happened, and he said the car was amazing.

Your C320 would probably have less difference in the handling as the tires come up to temp. The Z3s only took three laps to peak and then start slowing down while the RS-4s took about five and stayed constant for us.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jakks said:

What car are you running them? Approximate weight? 

RS-4’s are the hot ticket for grip and reliability factored in. 

Champ doesn’t care what tire you’re on as long as they are 180tw or higher. 

2003 Mercedes C320. Stock weight of car is 3440 lbs. I have never had it on scales.

Looks like this will be the last set of Z3's we will run. Will go with the RS-4 from here out.

Thanks everyone!!

• Like 2

On 11/19/2019 at 5:10 PM, mender said:

There are 8 available, grab them!

4 this morning, 0 now

Thanks to another Champ giving me heads up a few days ago there are no 255s then seeing (8) 245s in the pipeline with NO replenishment date with only a broad promise of late winter/early spring.

I may be faulted in disappearing the last 4...

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Haha 3