Slugworks Paul

UNOFFICIAL - Barber protest?

3 hours ago, The Aero Man said:

I'd love to see someone actually protest an engine to say that it's not stock. I wonder how much disassembly would actually happen. Even something like the spark plug gap, do you think they would pull them out and measure?

Someone has tried and they were told to put their money away because tech was unable to check engine specific claims.

Edited by morganf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

Just another "stock" 3.0 with forged pistons, giant cams, and a need for race fuel.

They are claiming their cams

55 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

I guess what differentiates tuttle in my mind is that he makes no effort to play the political game. He's more of a political train wreck, and I have no reason to believe anyone would give him special treatment.

I see, so fast lap potential, winning by a handy margin, and putting the field down by a lap an hour does not garner a VPI increase either.  I wonder what creates the conditions for a VPI increase?

Edited by Ron_e
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

I see, so fast lap potential, winning by a handy margin, and putting the field down by a lap an hour does not garner a VPI increase either.  I wonder what creates the conditions for a VPI increase?

But what if the platform sucks with the stock engine, but then you nuke it with VPI just to stop a swap. Seems it would be better to leave the VPI low and adjust the swap somehow. How about that can of worms.

4 hours ago, JCrist said:

Are these springs legal? I’ve been working on a stick sized and shaped spring for a year at great cost, would be simple to use one of the 20 sets of hypercos I have on the shelf!

There are a couple of spring places that will take your springs and make a custom ones with the same shape/diameter with any rate/length you want for <$300. Easy, but also easy/cheap(chumpy) to throw 2.5" spring with a spacer in there.

Edited by morganf

14 minutes ago, mindspin311 said:

But what if the platform sucks with the stock engine, but then you nuke it with VPI just to stop a swap. Seems it would be better to leave the VPI low and adjust the swap somehow. How about that can of worms.

Phil proposed in the past not letting swaps also take cam or head swaps. Because what might have been a 250pts swap could be a 50pts plus 50pts cams and make more power.

Edited by morganf
  • Like 2

Tuttle made a smart call by letting a local really really really fast driver run 5 hours for him today.  He also got a good bit of luck with his pit draw as he was really close to the front.  

That car is also pretty fast

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mindspin311 said:

Gotta love how everyone supposedly knows everything, but no one will actually come out and say what they know.

Just spit it out.

Yes. Let's get the official word and a welcome to those in the know to say their piece.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, racerfink said:

BTW, the car that swapped springs out ran 2 secs faster today, and finished 2nd.

Were they on Continentals today as well?  I know there are more than 2 seconds moving from the wet tire.

Edited by LuckyKid

4 minutes ago, racerfink said:

BTW, the car that swapped springs out ran 2 secs faster today, and finished 2nd.

I think your stab at some sort of reverse confirmation is circumstantial, at best.

In any case, this is about rules enforcement, not lap times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jab31169 said:

Tuttle made a smart call by letting a local really really really fast driver run 5 hours for him today.  He also got a good bit of luck with his pit draw as he was really close to the front.  

That car is also pretty fast

This was a 7 hr race & someone drove 5 hrs ?

3 minutes ago, DEE DEE said:

This was a 7 hr race & someone drove 5 hrs ?

Yes, after quiet hour 2 hours had reset.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, morganf said:

Someone has tried and they were told to put their money away because tech was unable to check engine specific claims.

This needs to be addressed, otherwise engine internals essentially free, but only for those willing to sell their integrity for speed.

A rule that isn't enforced is worse than none at all.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Grufton said:

This needs to be addressed, otherwise engine internals essentially free, but only for those willing to sell their integrity for speed.

A rule that isn't enforced is worse than none at all.

#whynobodycarriesprotestformsanymore

1 hour ago, racerfink said:

Did they also swap control arms? 

• Like 1

Just now, Huggy said:

Did they also swap control arms? 

All 4 of them?

How about the adjustable front and rear sway bars? Adjustable rear endlinks?

Edited by Slugworks Paul

I could have missed it but I didn’t see them run 2sec a lap faster on Sunday. Most of the day they were 46-47’s. That’s off pace from Saturday. 

1 hour ago, Indysupra said:

I could have missed it but I didn’t see them run 2sec a lap faster on Sunday. Most of the day they were 46-47’s. That’s off pace from Saturday. 

By the data,

Saturday:

601: 1:42.774 (FTD)

602: 1:43.581

Sunday:

601:  1:45:503

602:  1:45:210

For comparison, some other random cars:

Saturday:

1:49.325

Sunday:

1:47.731

Saturday:

1:44.492

Sunday

1:45.207

Saturday:

1:48.269

Sunday:

1:44.517

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 6:45 AM, Burningham said:

Edited because I am already tired of this mess.

At this point here’s my thought since no one will say otherwise that was involved. 

Someone walked by and, like someone did to us at VIR, pointed at something and said “that ain’t legal”. Tech said “you protesting?”, they said “yeah”, tech said “where’s your paperwork?”. Off to the internet to burn Chump down. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Huggy said:

By the data,

Saturday:

601: 1:42.774 (FTD)

602: 1:43.581

Sunday:

601:  1:45:503

602:  1:45:210

For comparison, some other random cars:

Saturday:

1:49.325

Sunday:

1:47.731

Saturday:

1:44.492

Sunday

1:45.207

Saturday:

1:48.269

Sunday:

1:44.517

Its amazing what people will say on the internet. Nice little fact blast there Huggy!

12 hours ago, morganf said:

There are a couple of spring places that will take your springs and make a custom ones with the same shape/diameter with any rate/length you want for <$300. Easy, but also easy/cheap(chumpy) to throw 2.5" spring with a spacer in there.

Can you pm me some contact info for the spring folks? Thx!

16 minutes ago, JCrist said:

Can you pm me some contact info for the spring folks? Thx!

Google is your friend. Like 4 or 5 comipanies pop up.

Betts spring

RMW Industries

Would love to hear what the quote and lead time for a single set would be just to compare it to an off the shelf set.

1 minute ago, chbright said:

Google is your friend. Like 4 or 5 comipanies pop up.

Betts spring

RMW Industries

Would love to hear what the quote and lead time for a single set would be just to compare it to an off the shelf set.

Legit nails me for lmgtfy, then asks for feedback 😂

Of course I was looking for some firsthand feedback in my original question but hey...

3 minutes ago, JCrist said:

Legit nails me for lmgtfy, then asks for feedback 😂

Of course I was looking for some firsthand feedback in my original question but hey...

Unless your spring is a really weird diameter shared by zero other applications (i'd wager not). There's probably many other avenues to explore before having custom springs made. But throwing money down random holes can't hurt, right?