Aleru

The Alabama Grand Prix

Here are the Official Results for Saturday's Race:

Results are available online at:

https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Events/1748931

or for download at:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17FZi_XcitJtgoEBa5z-KLUoNloi8JSny?usp=sharing

Thanks to everyone who made it to this race and showing your support for ChampCar Endurance Series.

Hope to see more great racing today!

Saturday Podium Interviews - 

Sunday Podium Interviews - 

This was Running Bulls Racing’s one year anniversary of pretty much destroying our car. We did ourselves proud. A 9th place finish yesterday and it seems an 8th place today. We ran in the top 5 both days and with a little bit of bad luck on a caution probably kept us from really contending for a top 5 today. 

I got out of the car after the 1stint yesterday and the 3rd stint today and was wore out. The stint today Ive never battled that long with pretty much the same cars. Us, Schumacher Taxi and the #35 e30 were nose to tail for quite a while. It was great stuff. Our car finished the last 3 hours with an exhaust leak at the header to down pipe joint. 

Edit. Looks like we really had two 8th places. Seems one team wasn’t assigned their penalty laps on Saturday.......

Edited by jakks
  • Like 11

Lost a grey pelican case with various go pros at race this weekend. If any body saw it please let me know. Reward!!

Thanks

Team WUDU here, we didn't race this weekend but we did work the event.  So I'll give you a report from pit lane like Bill does, but with less words:

Just for reference, if you saw an idiot running around Saturday morning splashing in the puddles on pit lane...that was me.  If you're gonna be in the rain, might as well have fun.

Was our first time to work an event and I think every team should be required to do this, gives you a new respect for what working an event really takes.  A lot of teams first fuel stop is just shaking the rust off and some of it was just comical.  Face shields, teams who forgot to pull pins on fire extinguishers, teams forgetting to put gas caps on.  Most of you guys were pretty chill and respectful when corrected.  Overall good safety stuff going on during the stops so kudos to you guys on that.  Had a few new teams who struggled in the pits.  The saturn guys who were getting in from the passenger side...made my back hurt just watching it.  The white neon guys were BRAND new to track driving, but they were super nice.  I kinda wish I hadn't been working, I would of taken them under my wing and tried to help them out.  To me, they are what champcar/chumpcar was originally about.  I know it was prob different on track with them being as slow as they were, but they were good people who just wanted to race.

Pit out was fun as well.  Different feel for sure.  Our job at pit out is check timers, ask about fuel, belts, hans, armband, helmet stickers.  MOST of you were pretty cool about this and understood it was part of the process.  And the process was valid,  I fixed numerous belts not on hans and loose belts.  One or two teams had one or two particular drivers who wanted to be "Richards" about it and would yell at us when we were checking belts telling us "I'm good, I'm good".  Yea that's great, still gotta do my job so deal with it.  One team just didn't want to stop, at all.  But for the overwhelming majority of you guys, you were all cool and made it fun.  Sunday was comical however when the yellow hit right at 2:30pm and half the field headed for the pits.  As most of you guys were in the pits taking fuel we got the call to close pit lane.  So me and my teammate decided to go ahead and check all you guys when you started lining up and let you know what was going on.  Again, most of you were cool with it.  Tuttle thought this would cost him the race...which was funny because they were up 3 laps on the car behind them and that car was in line right behind him, waiting to get back out on track.  Anyways, they released pit lane, we let you guys out, and we got a props from jay for thinking ahead about pulling timers and checking you guys while the pits were closed.

Great racing, had fun watching the battle on track Saturday.  Impound on Saturday was a different story that most have heard or read about.  Sunday watching Tuttle pop some champagne was pretty entertaining.

Edited by Jab31169
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

RPM basically learned on Saturday that a Miata can not survive very long being air cooled, no mater what the ambient temps are.  So, if your grill looks packed with mud from the pits, sacrifice the track position to clean the it as soon as you can.

• Sad 4

That Miata that was KILLING IT in the rain early Saturday was impressive...until they weren't.  Man that crossover was a mess in the rain!

Edited by Jer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jer said:

That Miata that was KILLING IT in the rain early Saturday was impressive...until they weren't.  Man that crossover was a mess in the rain!

Thanks.  Jeremy and Brian both love racing in the rain (I don't mind it myself).  We run fairly soft, so the car just works in the rain.  Sadly since we were running 2nd, we didn't want to come in and clean the grill and just asked Brian to watch the temps.  It was hot, but stable.  Came in for our 2nd driver change and it was pouring water out of the overflow tank.  I basically went out hoping it would be ok.   Temps stayed around 210-220 most of my stint until an extended caution and being stuck far back in the line caused me to have to stop a few times while the field accordioned in front of me.  Temps wouldn't come down below 220-225 from there.  Made a few laps after the green, but the motor gave up going through the kink when it blew a freeze plug out.   The most compression a cylinder had was 60psi.

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Jer said:

I thought i was doing good sat first stint in the black\red neon....till i ran into that car. For a RWD...they were using it up....

2 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

I thought i was doing good sat first stint in the black\red neon....till i ran into that car. For a RWD...they were using it up....

I thought I was doing well in a stiffly sprung, rear sway bar still connected e30 with 1/2” toe out in the front then that thing blew by me. 

Apparently, the race was EPIC on Saturday for the win.

Maybe next year I'll make the tow over.

I do LOVE that track.

• Like 2

I'm debating bring my Miata down instead of Laguna next year.  Part of me says to go to Laguna as long as they let me though.  Might not be that long.  Barber is fantastic.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Apparently, the race was EPIC on Saturday for the win.

It was close and fun to watch.  I think it was 2 seconds at the checkered between first and second.    

It sucked that the cameras stopped working though.  It would have been awesome to have had the Burningham video on the live feed at the end.  I'm hoping to get to see it on youtube at some point (assuming Rodger had his own camera in the car)

Edited by Racer28173
  • Like 1

Great racing this past weekend.  Thanks to the ChampCar staff and all of the great workers a Barber Motorsports Park. What an outstanding racetrack!

You often hear about never winning an endurance race in the first corner.  But I don't think I'd ever heard anything about losing one in the corner before the start.   Fortunately I was not anticipating the start of Sunday's race as well as I should have.  Might have ended differently if I was!  😲

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUSIanXAZZs

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, PapaJohn55 said:

Great racing this past weekend.  Thanks to the ChampCar staff and all of the great workers a Barber Motorsports Park. What an outstanding racetrack!

You often hear about never winning an endurance race in the first corner.  But I don't think I'd ever heard anything about losing one in the corner before the start.   Fortunately I was not anticipating the start of Sunday's race as well as I should have.  Might have ended differently if I was!  😲

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUSIanXAZZs

Video is private

Dang!  That Miata was thinking "I'm gonna get THIS guy NOW!" Then "Code Brown!  Code Brown!"

Edited by Jer
  • Like 1

Below are video links from our live feed this weekend. 

Saturday's link.  Unfortunately we lost the video of the last part of the race between Chris in our car and Jack Baldwin in the R3R car.  Order was me (Rodger), Chris Preston, Casey Hooper, Chris Preston.

https://youtu.be/aqSu0Ng8uVo

This is before lunch on Sunday.  Casey went out for 2 hours, I finished up the last 25 min before the red flag.

https://youtu.be/0cVhmjADYO4

Here is after lunch on Sunday.  I went out first hour and a half then Chris went in and shortly after he went out we broke a hub and had to replace with a built up spindle.  He went back out and had something else going on like a wheel bearing giving up the ghost, so I elected to park the car for a while.  I went out for the last 40 min or so (3:56-4:39) to play and take the checkered flag.  When I was going out I told Chris to hold me until Arjun came around in Doc's car so I could mess with him, but while I was sitting there waiting Arjun came in with a broke car.  So when I got on the track I saw Mark Stewart's white BMW so I called in nevermind on Doc's car I have somebody to race with.  There should be some good video of Josh in Mark's car while we were mixing it up.  I finally left him alone because I realized he was still in a race for podium.  I think I harassed whoever was in Elon's car for a while too.   

https://youtu.be/YeCpRC2LYt4

Edited by Burningham
  • Like 1

HA!  We watched that spin unfold from pit out, really glad no one got hit.  Good avoidance maneuver by the Miata 

That Miata came all the way south from Austin Minn to have a code brown in his pants!!!  Great job Cremaster Racing.