McLaren GT4 and ChampCar safety rules

While at the track this weekend one of our friends brought out his McLaren 570S GT4 car.  For background they are factory built racecars which you can buy directly from McLaren which are ready to race in a host of racing series.

While checking it out, I noticed how much more relaxed these cars are compared to CCEC when it comes to the fuel filler.  The filler necks have a thin, flexible, non-sealed covering over the fuel filler lines.

I know our rules are there minimize risk, I was against the fuel line change back in mid 2019 that we should have hard lines only inside the passenger compartment.  This was more of a point to bring up that maybe some of our rules are overkill or even make us more unsafe.   My issue with the hardline rule was I had to remove very high quality soft lines with 3 layers of protection to single wall solid metal lines that aren't going to give in a crash.

IMG_20191203_150859.jpg

IMG_20191203_150923.jpg

IMG_20191203_150932.jpg

• Like 1

I saw the pictures.  Wasn't he using large length of clear non reenforced fuel hose?  We've seen hub failures on Miatas cause loss of control.  Should we just ban all Miatas?  No. 

Racing is dangerous, obviously. But just like law's, we shouldn't make reaction based rules.  

Edited by MoparBoyy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gkuhn41 said:

It looks champ legal to me. encased in continuous steel conduit or aluminum tube.

Looks like a flexible aluminum tube to me.

That flexible, corrugated type of tubing is not legal AFAIK. People inquired about flex conduit and it was shot down as not being sealed. 

12 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Let's ask the guy that caught fire at Thompson.

Next time you see me, remind me to show you some pictures.

So you're saying that high-quality, stainless braided PTFE fuel line is not as safe as "solid metal", inflexible cheap metal tubing? 

Is that really what you're saying? 

The rule should put some sort of requirement on what type of line is used rather than require fuel lines to be "encased" in metal or utilize metal tubing. NASCAR can run high-quality-stainless braided PTFE fuel lines in the driver compartment but Champcar can't. 

27 minutes ago, Snorman said:

So you're saying that high-quality, stainless braided PTFE fuel line is not as safe as "solid metal", inflexible cheap metal tubing? 

Is that really what you're saying? 

The rule should put some sort of requirement on what type of line is used rather than require fuel lines to be "encased" in metal or utilize metal tubing. NASCAR can run high-quality-stainless braided PTFE fuel lines in the driver compartment but Champcar can't. 

Oh man.  Did you not see the debate about this when the rule was announced?  

I believe there were several people who thought the new rule was actually less safe than how many champers had plumbed their systems.

1 minute ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Oh man.  Did you not see the debate about this when the rule was announced?  

I believe there were several people who thought the new rule was actually less safe than how many champers had plumbed their systems.

Yep, I saw it. And I think many of us still disagree with it for various reasons. I spoke with Jay and Ray at Sebring 2 last year about it and our logic for why it was a bad idea. We ripped hundreds of dollars of high quality fuel line and AN fittings our of our Cobra and installed comparatively cheap metal line. 

I do agree with Ray on one item, and that is it's hard to determine the age and condition of braided line. But encasing it in metal isn't a good solution, IMO

i have flexible metal conduit that my fuel supply and return lines are in and 100% legal. It is natural gas conduit, and has the proper ends on it sealing to a fire wall. Air tight, liquid tight is what i was told. We are doing another build and will need to seal off our filler neck, we will probably be using flexible exhaust conduit to seal that off.

I was being mildly sarcastic with my previous comment but technically you could use aluminum dryer hose per how the rule was explained to me from Jay,  air/liquid tight conduit.

FWIW i agree with you on this.

9 minutes ago, Gkuhn41 said:

i have flexible metal conduit that my fuel supply and return lines are in and 100% legal. It is natural gas conduit, and has the proper ends on it sealing to a fire wall. Air tight, liquid tight is what i was told. We are doing another build and will need to seal off our filler neck, we will probably be using flexible exhaust conduit to seal that off.

I was being mildly sarcastic with my previous comment but technically you could use aluminum dryer hose per how the rule was explained to me from Jay,  air/liquid tight conduit.

FWIW i agree with you on this.

That's interesting, and I'd have to dig up the posts, but from what I've seen Tech had specifically stated that flex conduit is NOT acceptable. However, I'm not surprised that there would be various rulings on the same requirement, lol. There were two builds as I recall that posted pics and were told no. 

2 hours ago, Snorman said:

That's interesting, and I'd have to dig up the posts, but from what I've seen Tech had specifically stated that flex conduit is NOT acceptable. However, I'm not surprised that there would be various rulings on the same requirement, lol. There were two builds as I recall that posted pics and were told no. 

Various kinds of flex conduit and definitions. The stuff described above is different than what was being described and ruled “no go” a year ago. 

Edited by enginerd

• Administrators
On 12/4/2019 at 7:35 AM, MoparBoyy said:

I saw the pictures.  Wasn't he using large length of clear non reenforced fuel hose?  We've seen hub failures on Miatas cause loss of control.  Should we just ban all Miatas?  No. 

Racing is dangerous, obviously. But just like law's, we shouldn't make reaction based rules.  

No. It was a stock system..