Window Net Install

NimbleMotorsports

I installed my window net today, after spending a couple hours last night reading through all the search results on this forum.

But I still don't get how the bottom of the net should attach.  How to do the top part is clear as an empty track ahead, I made a rod with a spring and some tabs with holes,

works great, push it forward it falls out of back hole and net drops down.   The bottom I also use a rod and have a holed tab (actually just a big nut) on the cage.

But the front of the bottom does not go down to the door bars.  Now I've seen in the search, some nets (well actually just one of them) has straps at the bottom to attach to the door bar,

but all the other 200 nets for sale don't have that.   What I have done is use an old harness crotch strap, as show in the picture below.   Is this going to pass tech? 

I mean oh my the belt is expired it, my life is at risk using this strap?  Or any old strap as some have suggested in the search results.

Also,  this net is not long enough to span the entire window area from the seatback to the steering wheel.   Now I don't want to block my side view mirror anyway,

and so I've read that you can use a piece of lexan to fill the gap and then be able to use the mirror.  The rules say max 80 sq in, but I think it says max without some penalty/points,

given I run in EC that doesn't matter, but is it still a rule to limit the size of the lexan?   And does it also have to attach to the cage like the net, or can it attach to the car body?

I appreciate any help. 

windownet1.jpg

Edited by NimbleMotorsports

The lexan can attach to the car body.

You can also drill big holes in the lexan to get the area down.

They make specific straps for window net mounting.  Most times people buy a net and then a net installation kit.  The straps and rods and everything come in the kit.

I would be concerned about having anything with an expired date on it in the racecar.  Not because it's unsafe, but just because it could be a sticking point in tech or if somebody got injured.

6 hours ago, NimbleMotorsports said:

Great I can attach lexan to body, will help a lot.    I can remove the expired date tag on the strap if it covers someones ass (they must have a small one, the tag is small)

The date being current is required by tech and taking it off will also require a new net. Do it right the first time.

48 minutes ago, 55mini said:

The date being current is required by tech and taking it off will also require a new net. Do it right the first time.

He talking about removing any old tag on the harness strap he is using to connect the net to chassis. No SFI needed for the connections so shouldn't be an issue. 

2 hours ago, thewheelerZ said:

He talking about removing any old tag on the harness strap he is using to connect the net to chassis. No SFI needed for the connections so shouldn't be an issue. 

Oh sorry was reading quickly on my phone and eyes may not have read correctly, thanks

• Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 9:45 PM, NimbleMotorsports said:

I installed my window net today, after spending a couple hours last night reading through all the search results on this forum.

But I still don't get how the bottom of the net should attach.  How to do the top part is clear as an empty track ahead, I made a rod with a spring and some tabs with holes,

works great, push it forward it falls out of back hole and net drops down.   The bottom I also use a rod and have a holed tab (actually just a big nut) on the cage.

But the front of the bottom does not go down to the door bars.  Now I've seen in the search, some nets (well actually just one of them) has straps at the bottom to attach to the door bar,

but all the other 200 nets for sale don't have that.   What I have done is use an old harness crotch strap, as show in the picture below.   Is this going to pass tech? 

I mean oh my the belt is expired it, my life is at risk using this strap?  Or any old strap as some have suggested in the search results.

Also,  this net is not long enough to span the entire window area from the seatback to the steering wheel.   Now I don't want to block my side view mirror anyway,

and so I've read that you can use a piece of lexan to fill the gap and then be able to use the mirror.  The rules say max 80 sq in, but I think it says max without some penalty/points,

given I run in EC that doesn't matter, but is it still a rule to limit the size of the lexan?   And does it also have to attach to the cage like the net, or can it attach to the car body?

I appreciate any help. 

windownet1.jpg

Besides the strap, there is nothing to stop the rod from exiting the net like a washer with a hole and a cotter pin to retain it.

Edited by SpeedMaverick

9 hours ago, SpeedMaverick said:

Besides the strap, there is nothing to stop the rod from exiting the net like a washer with a hole and a cotter pin to retain it.

The rod can't go backwards (when installed) because of a tag on the other end of the rod won't let it push back into the hole, but I was thinking of putting a washer on this end too, except then the strap would be stuck on and if tech says it is an expired strap I'd need a grinder to get it back off.  ;)