BD Raceworx (New Canadian Team)

petawawarace

Hey eh, 

We’ve decided to give Champ racing a try.  We’re a father son team located about 1.5hrs west of Ottawa Ontario in a small town called Petawawa.  

We’ve bought a 2007 Cobalt SS with a 2.4L that is already partially prepped. We’ll be running Mosport and Calabogie next year for sure, and may add on another race or two.  

My dad and I have raced a variety of vehicles over the years.  He started oval racing 30+ years ago. Street stocks, CASCAR late models, Pro late models then Legends.  I oval raced snowmobiles on ice for years, then also got into Legends.  We got into road racing when Calabogie opened up near our home.  We’ve road raced a late model, turbo Legends car, and most recently a Formula Renault.  But we want to do more competitive wheel to wheel racing and travel to some new tracks.  

3F53A4A8-C655-43AA-9F76-7805F8D946CC.jpeg

DD948675-D810-422F-A37D-870D644C081B.jpeg

EF2A3BEE-04D9-43C7-8C66-99441ACB2E93.jpeg

09A1DF7F-6872-4FC3-8A54-BA635FF8B178.jpeg

7B19D2A7-C179-4A7E-9B5F-A4BBAA48927E.jpeg

• Like 7

On 12/11/2019 at 12:15 PM, petawawarace said:

Hey eh, 

We’ve decided to give Champ racing a try.  We’re a father son team located about 1.5hrs west of Ottawa Ontario in a small town called Petawawa.  

We’ve bought a 2007 Cobalt SS with a 2.4L that is already partially prepped. We’ll be running Mosport and Calabogie next year for sure, and may add on another race or two.  

My dad and I have raced a variety of vehicles over the years.  He started oval racing 30+ years ago. Street stocks, CASCAR late models, Pro late models then Legends.  I oval raced snowmobiles on ice for years, then also got into Legends.  We got into road racing when Calabogie opened up near our home.  We’ve road raced a late model, turbo Legends car, and most recently a Formula Renault.  But we want to do more competitive wheel to wheel racing and travel to some new tracks.  

3F53A4A8-C655-43AA-9F76-7805F8D946CC.jpeg

DD948675-D810-422F-A37D-870D644C081B.jpeg

EF2A3BEE-04D9-43C7-8C66-99441ACB2E93.jpeg

09A1DF7F-6872-4FC3-8A54-BA635FF8B178.jpeg

7B19D2A7-C179-4A7E-9B5F-A4BBAA48927E.jpeg

Im not sure why there arent a lot of comments on this other than some likes.

Welcome!  Build a car and have fun!  If you try  to run in the grey area of the rules expect some pushback.  (I only say that cause it looks like you have a ton of experience! )  be innovative!  

Welcome aboard.  Hope to see you at some epic tracks!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Finished our first Champcar race at Bogie last weekend.  The car ran pretty well.  We didn't have the pace to keep up with the top 3, but we were not all that far off.

I made a mistake thinking that we could get by with only 4 new tires.  Started Saturday with new fronts and 4year old rears, and the car was pretty loose.  Once the fronts wore a bit, the balance started coming back.  I started last on Saturday and worked upto 3rd by the end of the first stint.  My dad started feeling sick at the 1.5hr mark of his stint and came in, so it screwed up our strategy, but it wouldn't really matter as our 3rd driver ended up sticking it into the tires large. After getting pulled off the track, we fixed the tire (just popped off bead) taped the bodywork up and fixed the exhaust (unrelated to crash). Ended up finishing the race after losing 30 minutes for repairs.

Sunday, we started on Pole, but knew our rear tires were toast. Managed to lead Higgy on the first lap by .005s at the line to officially lead 1 lap.  We were in line for a 5th place finish, and possibly challenge for 4th, but as the day went on, our fuel was lasting less and less. Looks like the lift pumps came up through the foam. My last stint was only 40 minutes before it started to miss.  Ended up 6th with 2 extra fuel stops.  The tires actually fell off to a certain point and then stabilized. I ran 2s off our fastest time at the end of 7hrs.

I was a bit worried about the reliability of the Cobalt, but the engine ran strong. I did notice after that the MAP sensor had failed on the test day and was stuck at 81. Likely hurt the power output.  The stock cooling system worked perfect (hit 210 on pitlane during stops), brakes easily lasted 15hrs and could likely go 20hrs. We didn't even practice a pitstop before the race, but had no issues being well under 5 minutes. The only small issue was that the power steering would overheat 1.5hrs into a stint and it would start randomly cutting out. Manageable but not ideal. After a 5 minute stop, it would be good for a while. 

Overall I'm pretty happy with how the weekend went. Now to fix some things and figure out what race to do next???

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out that the factory rear wheel bearings can’t take the heat.  Both rear bearings were brand new and are now toast after only 15hrs.  So I made spacers and adapted the front bearings to the rear.   Although after doing this, I thought it may have been better to just swap the whole beam suspension out for an IRS.  Lol. 

Edited by petawawarace

• 11 months later...

We had our first race since this time last year as we are stuck up north unable to travel south for any races.  Was a roller coaster of a weekend to say the least.  Only 20 cars signed up, but for all Canadian teams thats not horrible.  

We made a bunch of changes to the car in hopes of improving speed and reliability. Some worked, some did the opposite.  

Saturday I started and was running some decent laps for the first 30 mins. Then I picked up a vibration and a pull to the left. I swore it was a flat tire. Brought it in but all tires were up.  Changed both front tires and went out it was fine. The team checked out the tires and wheel but they were fine. Next stint James gets about an hour in, and the engine starts missing at low rpm but clears up at higher rpm.  Seems a bit low on power but not bad.  Then suddenly, hes got a bad vibration, big bang lots of smoke and loses all drive.  Coasts into pit lane and the left axle is snapped at the joint. Brand new "performance axle" from ZZP with 3 hrs on it. Car is covered in engine oil too but the car was running.  WE take it behind the wall to see whats going on.  Turns out the dipstick tube snapped off at the same time and let 1/2 the oil out.  We replace the axle, weld the dipstick up and send our next guy back out. He mentions the miss, but we tell him to continue driving. It gets worse. We make some stops and find a broken wire on the coil connector and fix it. Still missing. Compression check shows that hole is down to 40psi.  We figure that the lack of spark washed the cylinder down and broke a ring.

So we decide to go get our original 200K + motor and start the swap. We finish around midnight.  We notice in the morning that the ECT sensor isnt working but theres not much we can do.

James starts the race, and accidently leaves it in 4th on the start. 5 cars go by him.  He gets by 1 or 2, then theres contact ahead of him and James slips by like 5 cars.  Ends up driving past everyone except the LS3 BMW (EC) car and settles in.  Peter gets in the car and runs well, but loses the lead near the end of his stint to the BMW.  Dad gets in and basically maintains the gap to the BMW at 35s.  Now its strategy time.  With 2hrs left, the BMW spins and goes off track. They get black flagged, and a drive through but they do their pitstop at the same time so no real penalty. They did go long on their pit stop by putting new tires on.  I jumped in for the last 1.5hrs with a 1:30 lead.  They were pushing hard and making up time. I put 2 wheels off (the left sides stayed on the curbing though) and got a drive through for 4 wheels off.  Still had the lead, but they were coming.  They caught me on the long straight on the last lap and there was nothing I could do. I came close to getting back to them in the last few corners but ended up 1.3s short at the finish.  

I was disappointed in losing the win, but considering the troubles of the weekend, its still pretty cool to get our first podium.

• Like 4

So much fun.  This is a battle from early Saturday between me and the BMW that beat us on the last lap Sunday.  The GoPro cut the video short just as I made the pass stick.    

It’s funny, but watching the video now, I wish I would have had a car that handled that well late Sunday.  The tires were so toast by that point though.   

• Like 3