Jump to content

A Monterrey Christmas - Laguna Seca - December 2019


skierman64
 Share

Recommended Posts

My fast lap from Sunday in the Ergolab.com Miata, it was fast lap of the race until Jerry beat it 2 hours later in the same car.  A huge thanks to Jerry for the invite to drive this iconic track.  

1:46.356

 

I had a few faster laps going later in the stint but they got spoiled by traffic.  

 

 

Edited by skierman64
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

great fun, everyone got to drive on practice day and at least one full stint during the races.  Wish I could wind back the clock for a couple small items, we had the team and the car.  :( 

Edited by Jer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And FTD for the race weekend (1.45.9).  Not a perfect lap, but it wound up being the fastest by a smidge over my superfast teammate Mike.  I'm sure we both could have gone faster, we had better predictive laps but then traffic hits. 

 

 

Edited by Jer
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do west coasters not participate in the forums.  I thought we'd see more discussion on the awesome race at Laguna Seca.  

 

BTW, what an awesome track, very technical, very fun.  The corkscrew isn't even the best part of the track.  For those that don't live on the left coast, rent a seat next year.  It's worth it.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, skierman64 said:

Do west coasters not participate in the forums.  I thought we'd see more discussion on the awesome race at Laguna Seca.  

 

BTW, what an awesome track, very technical, very fun.  The corkscrew isn't even the best part of the track.  For those that don't live on the left coast, rent a seat next year.  It's worth it.  

 I didn't get as much time on-track as I was expecting when I was there so may have missed some of the features.

 

What were your favourite parts/corners and why?

 

Of the west coast tracks, I like Oregon Raceway Park the best, great track if you like elevation changes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoy most of the track, actually.  I love the feeling of barnstorming around 1 and down into 2, and I really enjoy 6 and 10.  6 is scary fun, and 10 just feels so good when you get it exactly right.  :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mender said:

What were your favourite parts/corners and why?

 

This is going to sound like a cop out answer but I loved every corner.  

T1 - not really a turn, just a curving straight, exit line is critical to set up T2

T2 - downhill braking zone makes you want to brake early, super wide entry and allows for good passing and a variety of lines to find speed

T3 - flat and featureless but a good line can allow a pass at T4 entry

T4 - Faster than it looks, critical to lap time for the long straight to T5

T5 - Critical to carry speed up the hill, great banking at the apex but that disappears at the track out point, you have to adjust your wheel to compensate throughout the turn.  

more to follow

 

 

Edited by skierman64
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 12/18/2019 at 9:35 AM, Jer said:

And FTD for the race weekend (1.45.9).  Not a perfect lap, but it wound up being the fastest by a smidge over my superfast teammate Mike.  I'm sure we both could have gone faster, we had better predictive laps but then traffic hits. 

 

 

Watching someone shuffle steer always blows my mind, specially when they are fast. .

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jamie said:

 

Watching someone shuffle steer always blows my mind, specially when they are fast. .

Looks normal to me. I started doing that on ovals, keeps my hands in roughly the same place regardless of the corner radius. I find it easier to be precise mid-corner.

 

I'm always amazed that people lock their hands on the wheel and allow themselves to get their arms all crossed up. Hard to believe anyone can achieve any kind of precision or feel like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mender said:

I'm always amazed that people lock their hands on the wheel and allow themselves to get their arms all crossed up. Hard to believe anyone can achieve any kind of precision or feel like that.

I'm practicing for when an IndyCar team signs me... no shuffle steering on one of those cars :)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, mender said:

Same here; my hands are always in the same position that you see the IndyCar drivers use despite having about twice the number of turns lock to lock. :)

I find it funny when F1 goes to Monaco... you see some of the drivers take one hand off the 'wheel' to navigate the hairpin turn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, enginerd said:

I find it funny when F1 goes to Monaco... you see some of the drivers take one hand off the 'wheel' to navigate the hairpin turn.

And that's with one turn lock to lock.

 

Fingers crossed that we get to see it this year.

Edited by mender
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, mender said:

Looks normal to me. I started doing that on ovals, keeps my hands in roughly the same place regardless of the corner radius. I find it easier to be precise mid-corner.

 

I'm always amazed that people lock their hands on the wheel and allow themselves to get their arms all crossed up. Hard to believe anyone can achieve any kind of precision or feel like that.

 

Muscle memory FTW. Also if you keep your hands in place you always have the same feedback through the wheel and it is constant. 

 

Look at the fast pros driving GT cars, the vast majority (90-95%) do not shuffle steer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shuffle steer because I like having my hands between 8-10 and 2-4 allowing me the most control possible in the corners, where things tend to go awry when you push.  I tend to shuffle ahead of the turn so my hands are in the right place when I need them.  Mike doesn't do it and he's fast.  I don't think there's any one solution.  Just what I do, a big time carry over from my National autocross days.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, skierman64 said:

Muscle memory FTW. Also if you keep your hands in place you always have the same feedback through the wheel and it is constant. 

Muscle memory and feedback are more consistent when your arms and wrists are relaxed and in the same relative position. Location on the steering wheel doesn't matter unless the steering wheel itself varies in shape and/or thickness.

 

Hold a weight at arm's length with your arm and wrist in the normal position. Now twist your wrist and move your arm so that it crosses your body like it would when turning the steering wheel for a tight corner. Different muscles, different tension in your joints means different muscle memory and feedback.

 

Seriously, try it. Better yet, try a precision exercise like writing your name (or even "FTW") when your arm is in the normal relaxed position vs upside down and twisted.

 

Edited by mender
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, skierman64 said:

Look at the fast pros driving GT cars, the vast majority (90-95%) do not shuffle steer

And I would say it's likely that 90-95% of GT cars in pro series are set up so that most corners require 1/3 turn or less of the wheel.

 

By your numbers, that still leaves 5-10% of the fast pros that shuffle steer anyway.

 

 

Edited by mender
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Jer said:

 Just what I do, a big time carry over from my National autocross days.  

Could be as simple as background (autocross vs karting).

 

I know I don't shuffle steer in a kart, even in an endurance kart race. Yes, I was sore for a few days but we won our class!

Edited by mender
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...