Oh my, that car looks good.

I love watching v8 supercars and can't stand NASCAR.  I'm glad they are moving towards the Aussie formula.

• Like 3

Not just a 6spd but a transaxle and independent rear suspension.  Yikes.  Might start looking like a 1990s trans am or GTO race car.  Way to go NASCAR you have almost got your series into the 21st century 

Interesting. 

I feel that it's a step sideways from the mainstay of NASCAR with the intent to appeal to the sportscar fans. I guess a particular style of racing can only be developed so far before the top rungs get very crowded due to the amount of talent and engineering in the series. These proposed changes only matter on a bumpy road course, so the intended redirection is plain to see.  

Having a field of cars running together in a group at speeds that even the top Euro series just reaches for a fraction of their typical lap and making it safe enough to do for hours at a time to me is a remarkable achievement. Unfortunate that it's been done so well that some people find it boring.

• Like 5

On 12/22/2019 at 11:21 AM, mender said:

Interesting. 

I feel that it's a step sideways from the mainstay of NASCAR with the intent to appeal to the sportscar fans. I guess a particular style of racing can only be developed so far before the top rungs get very crowded due to the amount of talent and engineering in the series. These proposed changes only matter on a bumpy road course, so the intended redirection is plain to see.  

Having a field of cars running together in a group at speeds that even the top Euro series just reaches for a fraction of their typical lap and making it safe enough to do for hours at a time to me is a remarkable achievement. Unfortunate that it's been done so well that some people find it boring.

don't forget these cars still use push rod engines and weigh WAY more than the Euro cars.  I like the new look...now they need to use factory engines. Now can we get Dodge back in the mix?

Remember, the current "look" isn't really what the final look will be. The mfg are still finalizing the body designs in the wind tunnel.  I think the car looks like its wearing a suit 2 sizes too big.  I'm expecting the car to land somewhere between the current NASCAR and an Aussie V8 supercar.  I can't get specific, but the selected parts suppliers so far are basically the whos-who of high-end motorsports manufacturers.

I'm a huge Aussie V8 fan and have been saying they need to follow suit for years.  I think its great and hopefully the shot of adrenaline NASCAR has needed for about a decade (or more).  I expect to see several more road races on the calendar and maybe even some dual event oval/roval weekends (at least I think they should).

Having a vested interest and a reasonable amount of knowledge about the car, I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. This is a move to a spec single supplier car (all but the engine), designed to give the well funded (outside of nascar) and well politically connected  teams a chance to make up for their years of poor project management and engineering execution. The team with the greatest wins the last few seasons is not part of this club, and the push to do this has been from teams that won years ago and decades ago that feel left out. 

Think of it more as trans am going to a spec miata car. Better even, think of this as IROC racing for the 2020's. 

The project has a long way to become anything resembling a performance spectacle. The new car will most likely be hundreds of lbs heavier in empty weight (no ballast) without design intervention. With a narrow timeline to turn out the car (we race it next year) this will be a tough thing for nascar to pull off well. 

Besides the anxiety of having to just wait for a kit of parts to show up from Nascar vendors for the first car (most likely fall, several months before the first race) this will mean the termination of a thousand or more jobs in the sport. Early estimates suggest 1/3 of all the manufacturing personnel at the cup teams will be gone post car change. 

• Sad 1