Tires

09Gt

Hey Guys,

Looking into Tires, so many choices . We ran R-S4 -  245/40ZR17. We are needing to replace them As many of you are finding, they are out of stock. What has been your back up tire of choice.

Thanks, Nick

Looks like I've got three sets to spare:

7/32nds set 
8-10 Lap day set
hodgepodge set - Our take offs >5/32nds  less than 3 races, two will have small flat spots.

I also have 6 spares on rims.  I can let go of two of them.

Edited by LuckyKid

Thanks LuckyKidd for the offer, I will think about. Looking to be going to VIR for March race so we will be doing something soon. We have a set left which 2 have flat spots, it sucks that no one has a way to true them up and remove the flat spots..

Are Dunlap III's a comparable tire to R-S4?

• Technical Advisory Committee
57 minutes ago, 09Gt said:

Thanks LuckyKidd for the offer, I will think about. Looking to be going to VIR for March race so we will be doing something soon. We have a set left which 2 have flat spots, it sucks that no one has a way to true them up and remove the flat spots..

There are many shops that true up tires ,probably an older shop will have the machine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 09Gt said:

Not entirely.  I tried them and they wore quicker and had slightly less grip.  The disclaimer is that I didn't try to change the setup of the car for them either.

We didn't quite do an apples-to-apples either, had 205/50-15 Z3s on 15 x 7 rims then switched to 225/45-15 R-S4s on 15 x 9 rims. We used up a set of four Z3s in about 8-10 hours. R-S4 tire wear was noticably better than the Z3s; I expect to get about 24 hours total out of the six R-S4s tires while going at least a second/lap faster.

The Z3s didn't like it when the track got hot while the R-S4s do very well in the heat. We've run the R-S4s in a downpour and they did quite well but I expect the Z3s would be slightly better.  

Edited by mender

Well a West Coast Miata series just announced their tire sponsor...................................................Hankook!

RS4 225/45-15 is the spec tire.

Not sure how Hankook is going to keep up with the demand of the Canine Series as well as SSC and the already taxed demand by ChampCar Miata guys.

Edited by Ian Moone
spelling

S1. Not real sure I’m willing to give the S2 a chance without hearing some reviews

Honestly, I’m not sure about the rigidity of the steel belts underneath the tread surface, If this makes any sense,Our center tread wore at +30°, Something with experienced  before but never to that extent. 

Edited by Team Infiniti

3 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

S1. Not real sure I’m willing to give the S2 a chance without hearing some reviews

Honestly, I’m not sure about the rigidity of the steel belts underneath the tread surface, If this makes any sense,Our center tread wore at +30°, Something with experienced  before but never to that extent. 

Your messages are full.

I have one brand new 255/40/17 VR-1 of the old S1 compound I would send you if you can use it. 

• Like 1

We run 225/45/15 on the Miata and usually buy RS-4s, but due the lack of availability, didn't know what we were going to run at Road Atlanta next month. I spoke with a Honda Accord team at Sebring,  they run Toyo Proxy's and prefer them over the Hankook's. I know heavier and FWD but wanted an opinion of someone who uses them. We have bought a set of Proxy's and will report the team's consensus after we run them, hopefully for 14 hours. We do have an old set of RS-4s for backup if they wear prematurely or we do not like the handling.

PS Tire Rack is now showing RS-4s with a ship date in March. Guess the boat is on the way.

23 hours ago, mickindy14 said:

We run 225/45/15 on the Miata and usually buy RS-4s, but due the lack of availability, didn't know what we were going to run at Road Atlanta next month. I spoke with a Honda Accord team at Sebring,  they run Toyo Proxy's and prefer them over the Hankook's. I know heavier and FWD but wanted an opinion of someone who uses them. We have bought a set of Proxy's and will report the team's consensus after we run them, hopefully for 14 hours. We do have an old set of RS-4s for backup if they wear prematurely or we do not like the handling.

We've run R1R on our FWD VW Fox.  It's a very light car, around 1800 lbs without driver.

Very grippy (more than the RS-4), does not last nearly as long as the RS-4 but still managed to last a full race weekend.

We really liked them but we're really cheap, so RS-4 it is!