Where else but Chumpcar...

Guest hep

I was just thinking how cool it was to have my 73 year old father along to drive the 12 hour at willow last November. Not exactly a bucket list kind of thing as he had done a bit of motorcycle road racing when he was younger, but sort of. He actually really surprised me, turning some 1:46 lap times! So all you chumpsters out there, think about having your old man along, it was pretty cool.

post-598-129617850556_thumb.jpg

Hey Hep! Sounds like you had a blast!

This is the 4th year my father and I have been beater racing. It has really been great working (and RACING) with him! Through the long days in the garage getting the car together and the long tows to tracks far out of town, we have grown closer together.

Now I have been taking my son to the last couple of races and now he is seriously hook on ChumpCar.

Who says racing isn't a family sport?

And this is what ChumpCar is all about!!!! I would love to have my father in the car but he has always been behind the scene. He takes care of logistics and his RV which is a big help when it comes to racing. He has no desire to race but fully supports our racing program.

Cheers

Joe

While my Dad, unfortunately, has long passed, another member of our team's father was instrumental in us even making it out on the track at our first three races. Of course, we're spoiled...Mr. Andrews was the Grand American champion in 1972, SAARC champion in 1986 and 87 and knows more about car setup in his little finger than the rest of us know as a team. It's been wonderful watching him teach us how it's done.

I envy you, hep :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest McRustyRacing

It is really nice to hear about the family togetherness at chump! My son moved to Kalifornia many years ago with his mom and we through Chumpcar have found what we have so often missed. He flies in to Texas for races and we hope to have Johns old Miata entered in Reno so I can do the same out there.

This weekend at ECR I know of several other Father/Son/Family teams and I am sure they feel the same gratitude.

Thank you so much John, Kathy and all you Master chumps out there! I wish I could convey what this has done for our relationship...maybee ill just give y'all a big hug next time i see you.

My Dad has not done any road racing, but being a hobby drag racer he has racing in his blood. I haven't specifically asked for help but he volunteered to help me fetch the car when the team bought it. I expect he'll be there when we shake it down once the weather breaks. The nut doesn't fall too far from the tree. Some of the best times with my Dad and brothers were when we would have to race each other at the drag strip. Have not hooked my brothers on this....yet.