Burningham

Sebring NYE Double 7’s

It’s Tuesday and nobody wants to talk about this past weekend?

Ok so I’ll kick it off. I had a great time hanging with the Danger Racing guys Chance and John and their ringer Huggy. We all got to drive although a lot of it was in the rain. We had a good day Saturday although we made one call early that hurt us but we ended up 4th. Sunday we had multiple issues and had to call it with about 2 hours left. Sebring continues to be one of my favorite events. Too bad no end of year event next year, but understand it just hits wrong the next year or two. 

Sunset Grill Sunday night was good times. Two for one margaritas go down too fast. See everybody at Road Atlanta unless I somehow make it out to Sonoma.  

• Like 5

Sadly my update is we ran a good hour during the Friday test day and broke right after lunch. New car is testing me again. We will take the green flag sometime in 2020 but not sure which event. Maybe Charlotte since it is close to home. 

Lots of rumors and complaining on the book of faces.  I'm quite surprised there wasn't a thread sooner.

Lots of crashes due to traction compound.

Accusations of blocking, and intentional contact.

Sounds like lots of attrition due to contact and mechanicals.

I did almost 4 hours over the weekend.  Never saw intentional blocking or contact.

I will say a bunch of cars were sooo fast that they came up on you and were suddenly there.  It may have been perceived as intentional when going for the apex and not realizing a car was there.  

We were in the top 5 most of the day Sunday.  There were cars going 15 seconds a lap faster.  Those cars just appear out of nowhere!

The traction compound definitely destroyed a bunch of cars.  I never had a problem with it, but the only time I went directly over it, I clutched in until I went across it.

• Like 2

I will say that it seemed like the cars that were recently let into the series were sooo dominant that they were playing with the rest of us....

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

The traction compound definitely destroyed a bunch of cars.  I never had a problem with it, but the only time I went directly over it, I clutched in until I went across it.

Yeah you just had to go throttle neutral when you went across it. I never had trouble with it after the first time but you just had to remember where it was because when it got really wet you couldn’t see it

I know a few things from last weekend:

1. I wish Champcar would mandate rain lights. It was terrifying to drive on Saturday afternoon when you couldn't see a car 5 ft in front of you on the front or back straights. 

2. I would love a stint in one of those Porsche Boxster's. Wow, they looked good in the rain. 

3. Fire isn't good for 94 Miata's. Thankfully, the Level One Team is amazing and got our car running again. Fire related issues caused us two long green flag stops (one on each day) that put us to dead last each day, but we fought back both days to 3rd in A Class. It would have been a different weekend had our fuel line not broken on test day. <_<

Edited by johnwilding
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

On the Brainerd Donnybrook course we learned first hand what happens to a full prepped drag strip when it rains. I think 5ish cars were wrecked on that straightaway. 

VHT + rain = no bueno. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, johnwilding said:

It seemed to have a taste for BMW’s too. 

Definitely. And so it ends a 6 year run in our E30. Busy stripping all usable parts off of it and looking for our next car. Rear end broke loose without warning. Should've parked the car after 5 cars went off in the first 5 minutes.

Screenshot_20191228-192222.png

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, ablesnead said:

Yeah , so much for anybody can win....

This was a hp course and a 7 hour race.  If you didn't have 200 + go, you weren't gonna win.  

We found that out with Tyler's e30.

Which car did you have?  The sweet orange rx7?  That thing was awesome!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Burningham said:

It’s Tuesday and nobody wants to talk about this past weekend?

Ok so I’ll kick it off. I had a great time hanging with the Danger Racing guys Chance and John and their ringer Huggy. We all got to drive although a lot of it was in the rain. We had a good day Saturday although we made one call early that hurt us but we ended up 4th. Sunday we had multiple issues and had to call it with about 2 hours left. Sebring continues to be one of my favorite events. Too bad no end of year event next year, but understand it just hits wrong the next year or two. 

Sunset Grill Sunday night was good times. Two for one margaritas go down too fast. See everybody at Road Atlanta unless I somehow make it out to Sonoma.  

Hey not to be a jerk. I was watching the in car stuff for the event. Something is up with the seat or mounts in the Danger Racing car. It was moving side to side WAY too much! Is on sliders? Something is not right there. Might want to have them or you look into it. Again, just see something that might be a safety issue and want to point it out.

• Thanks 1

All videos downloaded but a mess, no time to really edit more then a clip or 2 right now... Are there any requests where I should focus efforts?

Slipping and sliding while shifting gears automatically?

Passing by unfortunately damaged straightaway bmws?

Passing through heavy traffic in the rain?

Whiteout driving @100mph?

Getting too close to a purple e30? (minor contact)

Something special we may have caught? (day and time please)

Car laying over/our race end sun 2.5 hrs to go?

Our team brought our new build out that we just finished after totaling our last car at this event last year (2018).  Not having a lot of time to test and tune it, we were definitely back of the pack, but happy to walk away with our car intact at the end with some lessons learned and ideas for improvement.  Apparently we had to take points (1) for a safety pin I put on our torsion bars in the unlikely event they might back out.  I don't even know what to say to that.  

Does anyone know how the drivers of the more serious wrecks are doing?  I heard rumors the two cars involved in the heavy contact at the green flag on saturday were in the hospital, but those were just rumors.  I hope they are okay.

We had an ignition issue on saturday that cost us 2 hours and a fuel pump issue that cost another 2 hours on Sunday.  We were exceptionally lucky to find another 944 team to give us a fuel pump that got us back out on track.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian Moone said:

Hey not to be a jerk. I was watching the in car stuff for the event. Something is up with the seat or mounts in the Danger Racing car. It was moving side to side WAY too much! Is on sliders? Something is not right there. Might want to have them or you look into it. Again, just see something that might be a safety issue and want to point it out.

I didn’t notice anything in the four hours I drove, so maybe its a camera thing. But I will mention it to @Hurljohn I am sure he will look it over. Thanks for the note. Never hesitate to mention safety stuff, none of us want a seat coming loose at 100 mph in turn one of sebring. Now that would be a ride. 

1 hour ago, ddombrowski said:

Our team brought our new build out that we just finished after totaling our last car at this event last year (2018).  Not having a lot of time to test and tune it, we were definitely back of the pack, but happy to walk away with our car intact at the end with some lessons learned and ideas for improvement.  Apparently we had to take points (1) for a safety pin I put on our torsion bars in the unlikely event they might back out.  I don't even know what to say to that.  

Does anyone know how the drivers of the more serious wrecks are doing?  I heard rumors the two cars involved in the heavy contact at the green flag on saturday were in the hospital, but those were just rumors.  I hope they are okay.

We had an ignition issue on saturday that cost us 2 hours and a fuel pump issue that cost another 2 hours on Sunday.  We were exceptionally lucky to find another 944 team to give us a fuel pump that got us back out on track.  

The Red/Yellow/Black E30 #229 driver suffered a fractured collar bone and whiplash. He is sore all over as is the E30!.

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, ddombrowski said:

Apparently we had to take points (1) for a safety pin I put on our torsion bars in the unlikely event they might back out.  I don't even know what to say to that.  

You were accessed material points for the extensions added to the torsion bar tubes that the pins went through not the pins .

1 hour ago, BigMoneyWasters said:

The Red/Yellow/Black E30 #229 driver suffered a fractured collar bone and whiplash. He is sore all over as is the E30!.

Dang, sorry to hear he was hurt.  Hopefully he has a speedy recovery.  Collar bone is no fun to heal.

Hearing those cars crunch into the wall was a sickening gut check.  I really hated seeing that.  That e36 In particular moved the jersey barrier it initially hit, causing a square hit with the end of the next one.  I hope that driver is OK.

A lot of times jersey barriers are either keyed or pinned together. These were not, at least one of the wrecks the first contact pushed the barrier back and then hit the end of the next one. Results in a bad hit when it happens like this. 

• Sad 1

I went to see the car and chat but did not know the driver was injured, hope all works out.

On another note, Saturday near the end, in heavy but not the worst rain.   Any requests for next vid?