Burningham

Sebring NYE Double 7’s

56 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Saturday 

image.thumb.png.72e9fb264a3cc239b8e4672d3ca44e05.png

I'm not sure that 2:56 time I put down on Saturday really qualifies my team as "overperforming". It is nice to see our name up there though! 

We had a good time out there. Had a totally new to racing guy in the car who did great and a new to the team driver. Had to make some fuel management decisions on Sunday and managed to ran the car out of gas in turn 6 after the checkered flag. Other then that that I think we were incident free all weekend besides some wet off track trips. I'll get some video loaded soon. 

4 minutes ago, WastedAccounts said:

I'm not sure that 2:56 time I put down on Saturday really qualifies my team as "overperforming". It is nice to see our name up there though! 

It’s just a visual depiction of which teams spent time in the pits and which teams ran without issues. Upper left is no issues, bottom right is issues.

If teams that did not finish or spent lots of time fixing issues were filtered out it would be a bit more meaningful...

53 minutes ago, enginerd said:

It’s just a visual depiction of which teams spent time in the pits and which teams ran without issues. Upper left is no issues, bottom right is issues.

If teams that did not finish or spent lots of time fixing issues were filtered out it would be a bit more meaningful...

I know. I was just having some fun. I'm top center in that one. I'd like to see the EC cars filtered out to know where I stand with the cars I'm actually racing against. 

Edited by WastedAccounts

No EC cars included in that graph.

I should probably describe it as "Fast cars breaking" bottom right instead of over performing cars, and conversely something like "Consistent team performance" in the top left.

Unfortunately speedhive makes it very challenging to download results for each lap, so filtering out cars that have issues (say stops >15 min) would take a bit more time than I am willing to spend, sorry.   

Edited by Huggy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Where do we end up if I say we could have finished 6th Sunday?

Assuming you didn't run a faster lap, You would move horizontally to where the 6th place car (Jacky Ickx Blue car) is.

image.thumb.png.3cd36f67453b2a2b31ecad4fe9c218a6.png

One of the things this graph has taught me is to NEVER GIVE UP.

I have caught myself in the past not wanting to continue after we have an issue. Unfortunately I fell into a trap where we were fortunate enough to have a string of success, so when we had an off weekend I wasn't having fun.  Bollocks.  This is racing.  Any day at the race track is fun, even if I never get to turn a lap, as long as no-one gets hurt.

This graph proves to me that even if you have a mistake, a mechanical, can only turn the 20th fastest lap, or are pitting with only 2 people, its still possible to finish in the top 10 or better.

In this particular case, it was interesting to see that very few cars "fit the curve".  

Well the graph would be better If I didn't get sloppy and mess up my formatting.  Yall call me out if I miss something so silly.  The X and Y axis should have the same scale, or the results will be skewed away from the curve.

image.thumb.png.d1b14587517a511f5434ac8d9be2d648.png

image.thumb.png.c291aad4f227cde1fb206626dc982be2.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Plotting lap time rather than lap rank would be more meaningful, too. 

image.thumb.png.a8b042230fcf17a274111fb89938dc08.png

Doesn't change too much, but its much harder to get the scale correct as excel hates time format.

1 minute ago, Huggy said:

image.thumb.png.a8b042230fcf17a274111fb89938dc08.png

Doesn't change too much, but its much harder to get the scale correct as excel hates time format.

Yea, I always convert to seconds when working in excel.

• Like 1

Crank Yankers Racing Summary

We started heading down to Sebring this year on Christmas night.  Left my house around 8:30 pm and arrived at the Seven Hotel at 6 pm on Thursday night.  22 straight hours of driving plus some time to fill our fuel cans/drums and get some beer for the weekend.  Spent Thursday night with most of the team and we went out to Sunset Grille.  Woke up Friday morning at about 4 am and just started throwing up.  Did not over indulge so it was a little weird this happened.  I was not sure if it was from not sleeping for 39 hours plus the beer and the shrimp pasta or what.  Got into the track on Friday and unloaded everything.  Didn't want to take any practice time in the morning and just let Rob get in the car and try it out.  Found out that the rear was not settled and we looked at the rear axles and saw the wheel bearings and so much slop; turns out that.....someone forgot to tighten the rear axle nuts.  We tightened the axle nuts and went back out for a session and no issues.  Were able to get everyone in for the test day and ready for the next day.

Saturday we knew it was going to rain, but could have some dry spells.  Started out on the 245 Hankooks and we were in the top 10 after a mess of a first stint.  There were so many yellows and wrecked cars.  After the first stint, I told myself this was a drive and survive race.  2nd stint we had a good strategy and my drive spun out on the opening lap.  For the 3rd stint the same thing happened; first lap out the driver spins.  Just all around nasty conditions.  We had no chance at winning, so I made the call to put on the 205 RE71Rs for my stint to see if it would change our rain driving at all.  We were so much slower than everyone else during the day, but we were still battling in and out of the top 10.  During the last stint, I think I had a total of one or two green flag laps.  With 30 mins left, we broke an axle in T3 and I limped it to T7 to get out of the way of other teams.  Thank you for not hitting me during those scary 4 turns! 

Sunday we were starting out towards the front half of the field. I was out first and I knew that it was going to be damp to drying conditions.  We stuck the 245 Hankooks on and I went out for a good fun stint.  There were some spins in front of me and it was good to see that we could handle our own in the damp conditions.  I ended up getting us into the top 10 and setting the fast lap of the day on the 21st lap.  We caught a yellow and we made a pit stop.  Rob got in the car and put down an awesome stint.  Pit window opened and we caught another yellow.  At this point we noticed we were anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds off of the pace of the front runners so we thought we needed strategy in our favor.  In the 3rd stint we were battling with the top 5 which was good to see although we had our fast lap in the 20s versus everyone else.  We knew the car would be close on 2 hours of fuel at Sebring, but we still needed to try and play strategy.  The yellow comes out and we knew we had to pit, but we had to do an extra lap to make sure we would hit the window.  Last driver gets in and he loves to burn fuel.  With 15 mins left we are in the top 10 and looking for a top 7 finish at Sebring when the driver comes in and says it's sputtering around 1 and he thinks it's almost out of fuel.  We decided to park versus getting towed in for the finish.  We still ended up 10th and enjoyed some beers afterwards.

Enjoyed pitting with @Huggy @Burningham @Hurljohn

Enjoy having @wvumtnbkr and @hornerevan as drivers with @bbaker480 as crew

I appreciated meeting new people and hanging out with old ones.  Enjoyed all of the volunteers and staff who put this event on.  See you all at NCM!

FB_IMG_1577825387899.jpg

• Like 8

MPR Race Reports from Mr. Martin:

Saturday "The Heavens Unleashed"

Saturday morning started as a soggy and ugly Florida winter day. We were mad scrambling to get everything up and functional prior to the race even though we were at the track two full hours before the start. Part of this was a product of only having four of us and part was due to not having sufficient time the night before to perform some of the pre-race simple stuff, like radio checks and testing the cool suit. We did have time to discuss that we want to treat the weekend as a test with no pressure, as if that ideology would last. Keep in mind that we had just pulled the suspension oil n and a few other things to get back to class racing instead of running EC. We had NO testing since the change and none of us had been on stock suspension for the last few years.

So we stick Kessler the younger in the car to start. Well fortunately Peter Kessler and I have some laps around this place in the rain. He knew to avoid the burnout boxes on the exit of 17. Several cars were relegated to rubble in the first half hour hitting those. VHT and rain don't mix, like AT ALL. Peter spins in the rain but manages to bring it home but complaining of a major vibration under braking and other small issues.

The pit stop is super long as we look over the car and make sure we don't have major issues. I pulled the right front and rear-mounted it as it looked like it may not be fully seated. Almost 20 minutes into the stop I then climb in. Go figure, my helmet is having radio issues. I just use Peter's helmet so I can just go. Finally I'm out and it's a super soggy track and not fun. The aforementioned pulsing under braking is bad, very bad. It's obvious its gotta be the rotors are warped. Cars are off left and right even though we are over two hours in. Uh oh, I spun in the 15 to 16 left hand transition just as I'm getting comfortable. This leads to some cautious driving that I'm sure was losing time. The rain stopped and about four laps later I'm finally able to start pushing. Eh, ok. The car feels different but it feels racy. Just as the track has a dry line on over 50% of the track, the skies decided to ruin hopes and dreams again. It started in 13 and the first drops hit the windshield right as I hit the brake zone, going way too fast for the wet. I mowed the lawn a little on the outside of 13 but I'm able to get back on track quickly. The rest of the stint was more rain followed by ultra cautious driving. I did get more settled in and eventually figured out that driving in the rain meant less gratuitous use of the skinny pedal kept you going straight. Eventually it even became fun! With the slow laps I finally saw our fuel warning light come on solid. Just that quick Peter says you have three laps left.

I pull in and we put Jim in the car. It's still rainy and soggy. Remember my mowing job in 13? Apparently I didn't do a very good job of it cuz Jim found the grass I missed in 13. The only other event is Jim getting spun by another car who decided to add to the dents on the drivers side door (see below). A little later Jim radios in that the wiper isn't working. It was stuck on the A pillar. After about a half hour of just dealing with it, the skies let him have it harder that it had all day. He had to pit. Damn, the nut came loose and wasn't really doing more than holding the wiper on the car. At least it's a quick fix and Jim's gone again. Jim and the car do great for the rest of the stint and get the car back to Peter to finish. The last hour was pretty uneventful with some additional cautions slowing the race pace further than it already was. We finished pretty much mid pack in overall and class. In all, the track took with it the lives of at least 6 race cars, five on the front stretch and one that climbed the wall in turn 1. A few of them were MONSTER hits. Post race observation of the car showed a slight groove in the left rear where it was rubbing. Nothing major (or so we thought). We grab the electronics to take home for charging and head to the house for some much needed food.

Sunday "Things Fell into Place"

Sunday morning! Ugh, it's still wet and rainy. We get to the track, again 2 hours before the start. Good news, the rain has stopped. We get the car set up and ready to go including taking a saw to the rear fender flare on the left where the groove is in the tire. Wow, after the driver meeting, we are actually sitting around waiting on the start? We discuss strategy for today. Yesterday was enough of a test, let's see what we can do! Jim gets ready to get in. We are starting near the back so it meant we had a lot of cars to pass for a good finish. A few minutes in and he radios that the track is actually pretty good. Whoops, another spin. A little later and he's running consistent 41s with a few 40s sprinkled in. Maybe this thing isn't that bad? About 1:15 on and its FCY. Let's bring it in! Doh, we aren't ready, which means Jim comes in a lap later than everybody else. This costs us more track position but we don't go laps down. But we were able to nail a five minute stop with just four of us!

Peter gets in and promptly mentions the cool suit isn't working. It's not hot but the humidity, whoah. His stint goes smoothly with him putting in really solid laps too. He radios in that he's roasting and not to expect very good laps. Him, he's going faster? We catch another caution and I climb in. Again, I've got radio issues! So angry! Sorry guys, I wasn't meaning to tell at you all. I just go with my helmet and no comms. The track is good. The car feels good. Hey, the cool suit is working again. I get comfy and settle in to start seeing what she can do with the stock stuff under her. A good run in turn 1 has me thinking the aero does more than our fancy EC suspension did. She's good! Just as I'm getting quicker the rains come again. It's just a quick shower but we lost the track. It's super slick again. Fifteen minutes later and its drying out again. I'm back in the 40s, yay! Ugh, more rain. Along with the rain comes almost back to back cautions. This helps as the rain stops and the track dries quickly. Now I'm running consistent low 40s. Cool, this is pretty much where we were on the old suspension. I run my fastest laps shortly after going back to green. Unfortunately, this is about an hour and a half into my stint. I'm having real fun but the rules, and the gas tank say my fun is about to end. But the yellows and the rain got me to just over an hour and fifty minutes in. This means Jim will be out for JUST under two hours. The down sides are that since I had no comms, the team wasn't ready when I came rolling in. To make it worse, two laps later the track went FCY.

Jim gets in and uh oh, she won't start. Jim pumps the clutch a couple of times and it fires. Clutch safety switch going bad, I say. Jim almost immediately puts in some good times. Peter and I are watching our placing and starting to frantically figure out where a stop would put us. We were about 12th overall and trying to figure out how we could get top 10 knowing we needed more fuel. An hour left to go and still no caution. We were going to lose two if not three laps just for fuel. Yuck! Hey look, some of the cars right behind us are putting for fuel! Oh wow, one of the cars in front just pitted too! Let's get him in and fuel him up! Two jugs in and now we just wait. Lets look over the car just a bit. Wow, the rear groove got BAD with us running so fast. Eh, it isn't to the cords so let's SEND IT! Ugh, not starting again. Clutch pumping isn't doing it this time. PUSH START you lazy bastards! Jim goes out and actually doesn't lose any spots. I guess a few others pitted around the same time. This now puts us in 10th overall. Our most optimistic goal is almost beat (we wanted a top 20). Hey, the glitter bomb has pitted under green! We were just a lap behind that E30. And just that quick Jim radios in that the car has some holes only pumping out air. Peter, thinking quickly, tells Jim to cycle the ignition. It works! He has to do that a few more times over the next 15 minutes but it holds up! 8th overall! What a race! What a welcome back to C class! No trophy but to run a whole Sebring race and to do it THAT well... that place has not been kind to us. Well we now have 3 Sebring finishes in ONE season! After 6 years straight of loading up early... and to constantly nail 5 minute stops with just four of us, we had a day to be proud of, for sure. But now we have issues to correct before heading to Atlanta in a month. I figure either a clutch safety switch or starter, a mass air meter (most likely), the third brake light only has a couple of working LED bulbs left, I have to work on the major rubbing issue (and see if I can't get the rear to sit a bit higher), brakes, tires, and a bath. Oh how she needs a bath.

Randy's Pobst's "Vortex of Danger" from one of the Saturday afternoon's restarts.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

That silver thing does silently appear.

IDK Ed, at best I would call it a racing incident.  Not sure why the BMW driver decided he needed to be in the middle of the track entering T3, especially when you can clearly see the shark closing as y'all exit T1 and he didn't have anyone to his right.  To me, it looks like BMW driver had a bit of a brain fart/momentary loss of focus, or maybe he was concerned the Miata would over brake for the turn.  Either way, I'd put more fault on him than you based on those vids.  Glad damage was minimal.

Edited by Bremsen

14 minutes ago, Bremsen said:

IDK Ed, at best I would call it a racing incident.  Not sure why the BMW driver decided he needed to be in the middle of the track entering T3, especially when you can clearly see the shark closing as y'all exit T1 and he didn't have anyone to his right.  To me, it looks like BMW driver had a bit of a brain fart/momentary loss of focus, or maybe he was concerned the Miata would over brake for the turn.  Either way, I'd put more fault on him than you based on those vids.  Glad damage was minimal.

yeah the BMW driver looked up in the rear view mirror, you can clearly see Shark cars headlights closing down and then he moved left.  maybe he just didn't notice eds car.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bremsen said:

17 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

yeah the BMW driver looked up in the rear view mirror, you can clearly see Shark cars headlights closing down and then he moved left.  maybe he just didn't notice eds car.

Im good with calling this a racing incident, it is possible I passed as the e30 was plotting his own pass, at the moment I saw something else, it appeared he was aware/yielding me some space. 

What troubles me: As the passing car, it is my responsibility to make it by without contact, with the head of steam we carry through t1 this is a nice spot to advance before the passed even knows what happened.

Question, was there a way I could have done this particular pass better or it's just one of those moments?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Im good with calling this a racing incident, it is possible I passed as the e30 was plotting his own pass, at the moment I saw something else, it appeared he was aware/yielding me some space. 

What troubles me: As the passing car, it is my responsibility to make it by without contact, with the head of steam we carry through t1 this is a nice spot to advance before the passed even knows what happened.

Question, was there a way I could have done this particular pass better or it's just one of those moments?

Great question.  If i was the one driving the e30, i would feel at fault.

That being said, that e30 carries serious speed through that same section.  I passed everybody through there.  It's possible the driver had some reason that their run was not as good through 1 but thought they still had a free entry into 3.  I know after about 40 minutes on track I didn't have a single person pass me on the inside into 3.  The car was just sooo good through that section.

In other words, I'm guessing the driver in the e30 just didn't expect somebody to be faster through there.

I put no blame on the shark car.  Some blame on the e30.  However, I could be convinced that this was somewhat of a racing incident.

• Like 2

The funny thing is that I was worried at first that it was me....  it was the driver after me.  He is a good driver and not known for incidents.  

I was wondering how I didn't notice the contact....  it has happened before where I didn't realize I touched somebody else at corner entry....

14 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

I don't think so.  I think you did everything you could do and it was a safe and appropriate pass attempt.  There was plenty of space and it wasn't what I would consider a dive bomb at all.  At the moment of impact, you can clearly see most of your car in his video, the entire shark nose ahead of the camera car.  He had a couple hundred yards to see you coming and even glanced in his mirror (at least, he seems to). I think this was just a momentary lapse during a high stress restart.  The span of time in the video from T1-T3 is only about 3 seconds, so I get that there is a lot going on.  I'm not trying to blast the other driver and he seems competent enough, but we all make mistakes from time to time.  I don't think this one was yours.

On another note, that E46's brake/tail lights are terrible.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bremsen said:

On another note, that E46's brake/tail lights are terrible.

This is one of my biggest complaints when i am driving and its because you get so used to seeing brake lights when someone doesn't have them its distracting to not see them if that makes sense..

I wasn't at this race but watched a lot of live footage and saw several cars appeared to have poor tail lights. The insano fast camero was one of them but that could be misleading because they were at warp speed most of the time! 

At road america last fall there were several cars with very dim or no tail lights at all.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Ed, I have raced against both of you guys for years and I'll say I trust both teams when I am racing near you.  I always look forward to running against either one of you because I know the cars will be well piloted.  I watched both videos many times this morning because apparently I am too lazy to get out and do anything else.  So here is my opinion for whatever that is worth.

If you watch your hands starting at about 1:09 in your video you see you make a slight turn to the right and hold it and then you are coming neutral at about the point of contact.  I assume the slight steer to right is due to the track jog to right that is coming up.  If you watch the black marks on the track you are crossing left to right slightly.  When you watch Tyler's video starting at about 4:21:08, his driver is neutral steering and makes no movement either left or right thru the incident.  But as we know there is a slight jog to the right going into turn 3 so at that part of the track he was moving slightly right to left.  It seems like you were crossing slightly left to right based on steering and then coming out of it, and he had the car going straight but that crosses the track right to left slightly.  Not sure what can be drawn from that, other than you both were moving laterally in opposite directions and probably didn't realize it coming into that hard braking turn.

Not to be a rules lawyer, but here is what the bccr says about passing:

7.2.2.3. It is the responsibility of the overtaking car to prepare for, plan and execute a FULL and COMPLETE safe pass. The definition of a full and complete pass is when the overtaking car has extended a lead of approximately one car length ahead of the vehicle being passed.

Stuff happens at speed, and as somebody else said all of this incident happened in less than 3 seconds and after one of the most hair raising turns in motorsports if you take it like it needs to be taken.  Restarts always puts a lot of cars in one spot trying to make a turn.  Luckily nobody had terrible damage and both cars live to race again.

Edit:  One thing I don't like about the rule listed above, how do you plan and execute a full and complete safe pass if you are going down the straight and a car suddenly jogs over into you?  How do you plan for that because it can happen anytime you are passing a car?  You just hope the other car either knows you are there or at least they are predictable in holding their line no matter where on track.

Edited by Burningham

Thanks and good analysis, trust in fellow racers is important, we only have a few to worry about, the rest are considered competent,  CYR is very consistent and still trusted within inches. Yes, turn 2 is a slight bend, hardly worth being given a t# but it is there.  From my view, I was confident the e30 had seen me and was yielding the line, but in hindsight he was merely working around approaching traffic, if we are watching paint strips/grass/margins/proximity to the miata, the e30s neutral steering stance allows him to (purposely) drift closer to a silently zooming up me, headlights are on for a reason. Tyler's and wvumtnbkr take on this nails it, that car is fast there, mirror checking may not have thoroughly happened, and stuff happens. I hope the driver now feels differently then he did after t6, I can see how he perceived me differently.

Short of never passing there in heavy traffic, I do not see how 7.2.2.3. could be adhered to better, I tried and failed this time but would have been disappointed in a flag as it was only a minor racing incident,.

Watching through each others perspective is sure enlightening.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Huggy said:

Assuming you didn't run a faster lap, You would move horizontally

What happens if lap times were still improving? As it dried there may have been another 2 sec to drop.

52 minutes ago, Burningham said:

7.2.2.3. It is the responsibility of the overtaking car to prepare for, plan and execute a FULL and COMPLETE safe pass. The definition of a full and complete pass is when the overtaking car has extended a lead of approximately one car length ahead of the vehicle being passed.

Edit:  One thing I don't like about the rule listed above, how do you plan and execute a full and complete safe pass if you are going down the straight and a car suddenly jogs over into you?  How do you plan for that because it can happen anytime you are passing a car?  You just hope the other car either knows you are there or at least they are predictable in holding their line no matter where on track.

this is my issue to, i could just hit every car who tries to pass me and then its all 'their fault'

also, during the drivers meeting it was actually discussed that "if you see a car in your mirror or its nose on your side, hes passing you and you should let him by"

• Like 1