Bill Strong

What happened to your ChampCar today? - 2020

used the day off to unload the trailer and cars from Sebring, put the Cobra up on the rack and did the post race inspection.  Found a few issues with the car plus the new upgrades for Road Atlanta that need to be done.   Put all our new hardware into the case too :)

IMG_20191230_164729.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MoparBoyy said:

used the day off to unload the trailer and cars from Sebring, put the Cobra up on the rack and did the post race inspection.  Found a few issues with the car plus the new upgrades for Road Atlanta that need to be done.   Put all our new hardware into the case too :)

IMG_20191230_164729.jpg

That's a heck of a display case.

Just now, enginerd said:

That's a heck of a display case.

got it at an estate auction for like $50.. its some fancy pants one that was like a $1200 new.

KD unit. Outstanding.

Question: looks like you have a Power Brake booster. Does this carb have a Vacuum outlet? My KD does not have a line for the brake booster.

44 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

just a little 2bbl... 

eng1.jpg

eng2.jpg

19 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

That blue is the wrong hue 🤔

how so? It is a Pontiac after all.... So it is Pontiac blue. Looks sharp!

Image preview

19 hours ago, Cam Benty said:

KD unit. Outstanding.

Question: looks like you have a Power Brake booster. Does this carb have a Vacuum outlet? My KD does not have a line for the brake booster.

Intake does, large port under the carb. 

The good: we've got a roller again.  Finished up the exhaust and fuel cell bulkhead.  Rewired and installed the new gauge pod.  Wired up and tested the redesigned fuel system, fixed a couple small leaks.  Filled and tested the new Hunsaker fuel jugs.  Installed new wheels.  The bad: couldn't get it to fire.  We didn't change anything on the engine since it ran last so I'm guessing wiring.  Probably pulled something loose somewhere so I've got some searching to do this week.  Unfortunately I ran the battery down too low and I had to quit for the night.

This was a week or so ago but got it all apart to try to get 200 lbs out of the car for the 2020 season 

500 points for solstice plate form 

gonna be tough but we will see what happens this yr 

Looking into new plate form 

9FDBB62F-8E0D-423B-A940-2FA81A793047.jpeg

Apparently if you want to save weight, strip your steering column, found all this useless weight when I started putting in EPS. Or use this guy that I haven't even taken out of the box yet, $200 plasma cutter....

20200112_163716.jpg

Pulled and disassembled my new used engine and found bad connecting rod and bearing.  Looks like a new crank and at least one rod.  

51C393D1-6FD1-4F28-B090-899BDFDD3A2B.jpeg

Edited by TimS
Added pick
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, TimS said:

Pulled and disassembled my new used engine and found bad connecting rod and bearing.  Looks like a new crank and at least one rod.  

51C393D1-6FD1-4F28-B090-899BDFDD3A2B.jpeg

ahh just get a Scotch Bright green pad and hit it, should be fine. 

Found and fixed the missing/hidden ground connection. Car cranked right up.  Did a little more wiring cleanup and rearranging.  On a side note, the little Battery Tender LiFePo battery I bought doesn't have much in the way of ah, but their low volt reset feature works.  Happy I don't need another battery after running it down too low during electrical testing.

Grabbed the cherry picker and did a little redneck body work on the front end to get the hood/bumper/headlight buckets better aligned.  Now I can install the new aero catches and finish the radiator vent on the new hood.  Also mocked up the frostfighter defrost grid on the new lexan windshield.  Glad I didn't start the install after reading Huggies post on the subject.

Only a few little things to tidy up before the running car becomes a running/driving/track ready car again (only been 3 1/2 years 😮).  Hoping I can terrorize some of the local back roads with it this coming weekend.  Initial shakedown track day at CMP tentatively (weather dependent) scheduled for 2/1.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

ahh just get a Scotch Bright green pad and hit it, should be fine. 

I’m hoping for that but I think it won’t be salvageable 

16 minutes ago, TimS said:

I’m hoping for that but I think it won’t be salvageable 

Turbo or non?

Wouldn't another engine be best?

37 minutes ago, Alex3000 said:

large.IMG_0478.JPG.8b7330c8081cc708e0c9ceeaa18bb166.JPG

Front splitter/airdam taking shape.

Nice!  That looks familiar in a lot of ways...  s4 powered, fuel surge tank mounted on driver strut housing, etc...

Looks a lot like @bbaker480s car.

48 minutes ago, Alex3000 said:

large.IMG_0478.JPG.8b7330c8081cc708e0c9ceeaa18bb166.JPG

Front splitter/airdam taking shape.

Looks like you got a hold of our fab guy... just be careful when you walk around the carbird.thumb.JPG.1a7dbf8c713d9b9eb2dd9c6771b1df1e.JPG

5 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

Looks like you got a hold of our fab guy... just be careful when you walk around the carbird.thumb.JPG.1a7dbf8c713d9b9eb2dd9c6771b1df1e.JPG

Well, the plan is to trim it down to a reasonable shape... Not that yours is unreasonable.

On a side note: Why does my home depot not carry 1/2" birch plywood.  I am using 3/4 and its a bit too much in my opinion.  

Started pulling the Nash ST10 apart for the C4.  Note one arm was broken but the gears look good. Nice bit of sludge in the OD oil pan.

D4568F37-8BD0-4BAA-9D50-1B743689FADD.jpeg

C301D64C-35CF-4883-B800-F4A283A9596F.jpeg

7BFE0675-6BA1-45ED-96C1-F95CE4BDD1EA.jpeg

13B3826F-2E81-4F65-B149-551E06E783EB.jpeg

404D2F13-B8DA-452F-8B1A-D5336D8F14BC.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Turbo or non?

Wouldn't another engine be best?

Bmw M20. This is second “good used engine from a good friend of mine “. I’m done with the used junk. No turbo 

• Like 1