What happened to your ChampCar today? - 2020

Got word from the powers that be.  Tomorrow we start prepping for paint.  I'm so excited to see the interior all one color again.  I am not excited for the many hours of scrubbing with wax and grease remover, and taping, taping, and more taping.

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, we officially took two cars to a track day at Autobahn Full Course today....believe it or not, both cars had zero issues and drove back on the trailer...this is a first for us in 7 years of racing

☝️These guys: fun at parties. 

Not very solid logic, but by spending a little bit of money on a new electric tongue jack and some paint for the race trailer  I was distracted away from spending lots of money on the race car.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Alex3000 said:

Got my RS-4s mounted.  I have officially jointed the champcar stance club with 245s on 10" wheels.  You think I'll need fender flares? 😏

927284477_wheelpic.thumb.jpg.03a1d27a6232966bf5a176f0c5d496da.jpg

Solid rear axle, so no camber gain?  Yes.

In 2015 we bought new Borla mufflers, lately, I noticed the unsupported tailpipes were causing cracking on the muffler body @ the outlet, not only that, they were starting to get louder, decided to call and get another set.

While on the phone to my supplier I mused about warranty coverage, they informed me of a million mile warranty coverage and shared a number to call, 4 pictures , 2 emails to California later "Your new mufflers will be there in 3 days"

Totally blown away.

• Like 3
  • Members
15 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

In 2015 we bought new Borla mufflers, lately, I noticed the unsupported tailpipes were causing cracking on the muffler body @ the outlet, not only that, they were starting to get louder, decided to call and get another set.

While on the phone to my supplier I mused about warranty coverage, they informed me of a million mile warranty coverage and shared a number to call, 4 pictures , 2 emails to California later "Your new mufflers will be there in 3 days"

Totally blown away.

Yes don't know if you noticed the constant fireball and muffler fails on the Punnisher. Rodger talked to Borla at SEMA they took the measurements shipped him their muffler four events no problems.  When he asked them what he owed for the muffler they said R&D don't worry about it call if any problems and gave him two tiny stickers to put on the car. 

• Like 2
On 3/24/2020 at 12:09 PM, Scott said:

Just finished my door bars - hopefully paint soon.  I too am tired of the interior being 14 colors.

@SonsOfIrony - Wwhat paint did you use?

QWXF3649[1].jpg

Nice.

Tractor/implement paint.  It's cheap, and is supposed to be really hard.  Still not loving the color, it's a bit too brown, despite the color on the can being very grey.

Edited by SonsOfIrony
7 hours ago, IPF Racing said:

my studio apartment will forever smell like fresh rubbers

Probably don't go saying that too loudly in public.  But you do you.

• Haha 5

Picked up 10' chunk of battery cable, a bunch of lugs, and a 150 amp Marine type circuit breaker.  Time to build a positive lead so I can maybe test start this pop can.

33 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

Picked up 10' chunk of battery cable, a bunch of lugs, and a 150 amp Marine type circuit breaker.  Time to build a positive lead so I can maybe test start this pop can.

Caddys, dodges, euro cars and others with battery in trunk are a great place to find high quality long leads.

On 3/25/2020 at 11:35 AM, Team Infiniti said:

Totally blown away.

Warranty mufflers found in mailbox this morning, no need to ship old ones back...Still blown away

49704696371_c72fc775dc_c.jpg

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Caddys, dodges, euro cars and others with battery in trunk are a great place to find high quality long leads.

I work for a parts supplier.  $28 worth of materials to make my own cables exactly how I want them is better than digging in the scrap yard for stuff.

I actually planned to re-use the long piece off the old car, since I saved it, but it's been in service well over a decade now.  When I pulled it off the shelf the casing was harder than a grooms pecker on his wedding night, so I decided it was time for new.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Team Infiniti said:

Warranty mufflers found in mailbox this morning, no need to ship old ones back...Still blown away

Not too surprising.  They would just trash it.  Often it cost more than an item is work to return it and then deal with it when it gets back.  Ended up with a free Kennedy toolbox this way :)

Edited by Scott
  • Like 2

If there's one thing C19 is good for, it's race car productivity.

Got the wiring harness in.

Firebottle mounted.

Harnesses test fitted for length.

Seat installed.

Temp installed the dash and the cluster so I can build a switch/secondary gauge panel.

It's actually starting to look like a race car 

IMG_20200328_185314169.jpg

• Like 8

Finally got everything put together on new engine installation.  Started up on first crank.  After I got it to crank.  Helpful tip for anyone else.  Be sure bolt for ground strap is tight not just finger tight.  After ground was tight the srtarter cranked nicely and engine fired right up.  Good oil pressure and sounded great.   Thanks again Chris 

A1324BD7-87D9-4F56-8E54-E383F7E8391B.jpeg

Edited by TimS
Added photo
  • Like 1

Got main breaker mounted and started running positive battery cable.  Realized I was out of properly sized P clips.  All I have are huge ones.

IMG_20200329_165941706.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SonsOfIrony said:

Got main breaker mounted and started running positive battery cable.  Realized I was out of properly sized P clips.  All I have are huge ones.

I see that!  

Progress is ALWAYS good!  Keep it up!

• Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

What car is this btw?  I'm guessing Nissan 350z.  That's just based on what the dashboard looks like.  I had a frontier and I see similarity.

The luxury version of a Z.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

Circuit breaker carries starter current?

7 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Circuit breaker carries starter current?

Correct.  I'm not a fan of a giant unfused power cable running the length of the car.

6 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

35 or 37?  I luv the looks of those cars!

35.  37s are too much money weren't on the VPI list last I checked.