Bill Strong

What happened to your ChampCar today? - 2020

15 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

It's an ecotech.  Nobody has survived their. First ecotech without it disintegrating.  Those engines need lots of oil help...

Not quite... It's a honda and these engines are supposed to be hella reliable. Fingers crossed that this one was a fluke.

Getting low on pour jugs, stopped by the local hydraulic shop for supplies and wound up with a small, but new sponsor, Mako Hose and rubber! Thanks for the odd collection of fittings and new cap o-rings!

Random square swap meet jugs

50142491876_129c0a030c_c.jpg

50142728187_cc139b613b_c.jpg

50142727907_5af1332bc0_c.jpg

50142491966_b51fcbf088_c.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, enginerd said:

Not quite... It's a honda and these engines are supposed to be hella reliable. Fingers crossed that this one was a fluke.

Duh.  Brain fart last night.  I know better.  Sorry for the #fakenews!  Haha.

20 hours ago, XelderX said:

I think Charlotte could be a lot better if we used the NASCAR Roval layout. Adding the extra inner loop and not using the new chicanes isn't that much fun for how most of us like to race. 

Adding to that comment. I think Champcar would do better to not run Charlotte and move that race to Carolina Motorsports Park now that it has been repaved. 

I have fond memories of Charlotte but not in a champcar...

Put the front back together again. Fixed our trans mount that was about to fall off at the end of nelson drained all the fluids, and refilled. Sent in oil samples as well.

Stripped some parts off the parts car and ordered new bearings. After seeing @E. Tyler Pedersen changing rear bearing and stuff at the track were just going to come with a with a spare hub ready to bolt on. Also took off a driveshaft bearing as well for a spare. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gkuhn41 said:

Put the front back together again. Fixed our trans mount that was about to fall off at the end of nelson drained all the fluids, and refilled. Sent in oil samples as well.

Stripped some parts off the parts car and ordered new bearings. After seeing @E. Tyler Pedersen changing rear bearing and stuff at the track were just going to come with a with a spare hub ready to bolt on. Also took off a driveshaft bearing as well for a spare. 

That is a great idea.  Is it possible to do that with the axle already installed?

The reason I ask is because Tyler's issue took sooo long because the axle wouldn't come out.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

That is a great idea.  Is it possible to do that with the axle already installed?

The reason I ask is because Tyler's issue took sooo long because the axle wouldn't come out.

Wouldn't the use of a spare axle cure that?

On 7/27/2020 at 12:43 AM, wvumtnbkr said:

It's an ecotech.  Nobody has survived their. First ecotech without it disintegrating.  Those engines need lots of oil help...

Care to elaborate? 

Are you talking about an ecotec swapped longitudinal? 
We have a transverse mounted ecotec that’s seen 15 or so hours of track time with no issues.  We are planning our first endurance race shortly.  

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

It is possible actually. Good call.

5 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I have two spare rear corners with axle and brakes too. Need to change axle bearings but otherwise it’s complete 

6 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Wouldn't the use of a spare axle cure that?

Yes.  That was my question.  Except it was stuck in the bearing.  Bearing was in the hub.  No spare hub....

If you had a spare bearing, hub, and axle, that would solve it!

• Like 2

Just took the Daytona tires off ours for a first look, needs back brakes, fix leaking RF strut and investigate odd inside wear on RF

Partially installed "new" ChaseCam system

13 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

1595983254162790584614.thumb.jpg.4a1963616639cee380d2dae1448936ac.jpgI took some of the apart....  does that count?

Wow, that headlight bucket area took a beating, was that all from loading on the trailer?

23 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I bring a fully loaded rear subframe for a E30.  7 bolts plus brake lines and shes out.  Way easier than changing a bearing.

if the E30s brake lines werent attached to the trailing arms it would be even easier.  Id love to get some dry brake fittings, but they are like $300/set and you need 4 sets

Edited by Huggy
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, bbaker480 said:

Wow, that headlight bucket area took a beating, was that all from loading on the trailer?

Surprisingly, a lot of those bends are supposed to be there.   Its...  weird...

On 7/29/2020 at 8:44 AM, Huggy said:

I bring a fully loaded rear subframe for a E30.  7 bolts plus brake lines and shes out.  Way easier than changing a bearing.

I think you forgot six...  😉

Made a plan to take it to an auto-x or track day before the end of the year. Have a ton of work to be ready for it.

Went to the garage and touched the car. The metal, plastic, and glass was all hot to the touch. Coolant temp read 102 degrees, and the car hasn't been turned on in a week. Went back inside. Two days in a row of 118 degree highs and 90 degree lows. I really need to insulate and cool that garage. 

11 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I can see it too.  It's just funnier the way I said it....  nice intake!

LOL, yes it was, I was wondering if you were funning me lol

Perfect for the 2000 Exploder 5.0 I have for my old Falcon.  Works out to a good swap for the old 260 ;)  You'd be surprised how few points that old car is to start with.

Edited by 67Mustang
  • Haha 1

That's complete overkill for even a relatively stock 5.0 engine. Would probably make less power than the Explorer stock intake, which flows more than enough for the P heads and small cam in those motors. 

That same intake is going on an engine @CutlassRacer is rebuilding for me that previously made ~900 rwhp. 

51 minutes ago, Snorman said:

That same intake is going on an engine @CutlassRacer is rebuilding for me that previously made ~900 rwhp.

"And the big bad turbo said, 'I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll bloooww your rear tires off...'"

For only 100 points. :)

• Like 1