What happened to your ChampCar today? - 2020

39 minutes ago, mender said:

"And the big bad turbo said, 'I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll bloooww your rear tires off...'"

For only 100 points. :)

Falcon only has a 14 gallon tank, would hate to see how short the run would be on a turbo lol. From stuff I’ve seen the stock exploder intake is good for maybe 400 hp on a mild 347. Falcon is a brick too, cd well up above a fox or sn95, although it may be a tad lighter. Throw that 01 Cobra IRS under it and it might be fun. One thing is for sure, it has plenty of points to play with. 

My problem is I sold the original exploder intake a few years ago as I was planning a carbed setup on that engine. So, I’d either need to find another, or pay 25/25 points for something different. 

Edited by 67Mustang
  • Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, we officially took two cars to a track day at Autobahn Full Course today....believe it or not, both cars had zero issues and drove back on the trailer...this is a first for us in 7 years of racing

Not very solid logic, but by spending a little bit of money on a new electric tongue jack and some paint for the race trailer  I was distracted away from spending lots of money on the race car.

☝️These guys: fun at parties. 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, 67Mustang said:

Falcon only has a 14 gallon tank, would hate to see how short the run would be on a turbo lol. From stuff I’ve seen the stock exploder intake is good for maybe 400 hp on a mild 347. Falcon is a brick too, cd well up above a fox or sn95, although it may be a tad lighter. Throw that 01 Cobra IRS under it and it might be fun. One thing is for sure, it has plenty of points to play with. 

My problem is I sold the original exploder intake a few years ago as I was planning a carbed setup on that engine. So, I’d either need to find another, or pay 25/25 points for something different. 

Didn't you start a thread about a year ago that you were building a C4? Now it's a Falcon?

I did, and the C4 is still in process.  The Falcon is just something that's been sitting around my shop for years and just considering what I already have for it that would be legal etc. 

Not what I accomplished, but the car did get worked on.  One of the other team members pulled the trans and replaced the rear main seal that started leaking during our last test session.  Also did some other maintanance and swapped in a spare trans that hopefully has a less crunchy 5th gear.

57 minutes ago, RandomTask said:

Anyome have a good source for coolshirt connectors? I can't find our extension hoses anywhere and coolshirt prices are beyond stupid. ($140 for a hose with connectors)

The McMaster part number for the cool shirt dry break sockets is 5923K31

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Schultz said:

I can see that, not a big six, just our third e30 build

I figured but couldn't resist.  I wish you luck next weekend.  Car looks good

So, we officially took two cars to a track day at Autobahn Full Course today....believe it or not, both cars had zero issues and drove back on the trailer...this is a first for us in 7 years of racing.  I would assume the 11 month hiatus helped to make sure we checked everything many times...on to Gingerman with a list of minor things to attend too.

117228399_2741135219546091_9222646776351205451_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=3gaWFJLsffsAX_H1aBF&_nc_ht=scontent-msp1-1.xx&oh=c082df14d78a6dafc5cc96250ca0bbe2&oe=5F4E0791

• Like 13

File this one under “should have done this years ago.” Painted the roof of the car trailer with white mobile home type roof paint. With the doors closed and in full sun all day, the inside temp is the same as the outside air temp. It would have been at least 15-20 degrees hotter before. Much easier on the AC (had it down to 64* in a short test).

78B7C923-074B-4E86-A557-ECD6EF81F3E0.jpeg

Edited by ross2004
  • Like 3

Didn’t even have to look at my car today and it gained 40pts.    I had a clarification in an official ticket from tech back in February.  I’ve since built the car around those values, tested and refined the car in prep for the first race and I find out now that they decided to change that clarification to the exact opposite of what they told me a week later.  And it’s apparently my fault for missing that change.  Now I’ve gotta lose 40pts somehow.  

As a newcomer to Champcar, how the hell is one supposed to keep track of all this poop.  The rules for this series are beyond complex and convoluted.  I really don’t want to go to a “bracket” type series, because I love building to a rule set, but I can 100% see how so many are making the jump.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

What caused 40 points?

We go into every race just hoping we'll finish so points/laps are a complete after thought. Served us well so far as we have a blast at every race :)

That stated, we went to class D after Champ turned EC into the bastard children. I *think* were about 150 points in the hole; we'll find out in a couple days at VIR. 

1 hour ago, petawawarace said:

Didn’t even have to look at my car today and it gained 40pts.    I had a clarification in an official ticket from tech back in February.  I’ve since built the car around those values, tested and refined the car in prep for the first race and I find out now that they decided to change that clarification to the exact opposite of what they told me a week later.  And it’s apparently my fault for missing that change.  Now I’ve gotta lose 40pts somehow.  

As a newcomer to Champcar, how the hell is one supposed to keep track of all this poop.  The rules for this series are beyond complex and convoluted.  I really don’t want to go to a “bracket” type series, because I love building to a rule set, but I can 100% see how so many are making the jump.  

At least you got an answer.   I've been waiting 2 weeks for an answer to my last tech desk inquiry. 

I’m running adjustable valving shocks because they came with the car.  They specifically told me that the adjustable spring perches and non OE springs were included in the 25/corner.  Then posted a completely opposite ruling in a tech desk ticket a few weeks later.  But it’s my bad for missing it.  

8 minutes ago, petawawarace said:

I’m running adjustable valving shocks because they came with the car.  They specifically told me that the adjustable spring perches and non OE springs were included in the 25/corner.  Then posted a completely opposite ruling in a tech desk ticket a few weeks later.  But it’s my bad for missing it.  

Can you post a link to the tech desk info?

7 minutes ago, petawawarace said:

They came with the car as in that's they way the original car manufacturer made it? Or thats what the car had on it when you bought it? 

Can you put the spring perches where you want them then JB weld them in place? Technically they wouldn't be adjustable any more :D

12 minutes ago, petawawarace said:

Are you running coilovers? 

just looked up Cobalt suspension design.  looks like crap honestly, lol.  but you have to take points for the spring, the adjustable perch and adjustable shocks all separate.  thems the rules.  I'd ditch the adjustable shocks, waste of points.