Bill Strong

What happened to your ChampCar today? - 2020

1 hour ago, Mopar 4 Life said:

Start training now...

7E64DB7C-DADE-40EF-826E-1A0105784796.jpeg

Replace "beers"  with car bombs and that would be more accurate.

20 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

Jägermeister bombs? 

No.  No sir.

Irish car bombs.

Equal parts Jamison and Bailey's in a shot glass.  Then drop that in about 8 ounces or so of Guinness.   Tastes like chocolate malt or cake if you do it quickly.  Delicious and highly messed up.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Actually this is an update from yesterday not today per the thread title, but we were finally able to get the Burningham Lexus ready to go for Road Atlanta.  Too many distractions and health issues to work on it since Barber, but the team got together Friday night and Saturday to knock out our list.  We installed a sweet new light bar so we can fully blind our fellow competitors when it gets dark and we catch them.  That's the point right?  Seriously, it should provide good lighting when we aim it properly.  We replaced the perfectly good harness but was out of date, went with the Schroth Enduro, really nice belts.  Pricey, but nice.  Replaced a perfectly good out of date window net.  Replaced the fire bottle since ours was out of date.  I considered sending the one we had out for re-certification, but by the time you pay for shipping both ways you are almost the price of a replacement plus I had procrastinated and was running out of time.  I'll keep the old one to hopefully figure how to avoid shipping charges and have a back up in the event someone sets the one off in the car inadvertently.  We went through spare spindles/wheel bearings and put the fronts on the car.  We lost a hub at Barber, replaced the front hubs when we went through them.  Rear spares had lost bearing fits, so need some new rear hubs in the spare set, reworked the ones on the car.  Fluid changes, mounted some new tires, flipped some older ones.  Bled the brakes, checked brake pads, they look ok for a 14 hour race (hopefully).  We need to check alignment and maybe do a little more dyno tuning, probably do that next Saturday.  I think we are just about ready to take on 89 other cars.

Edited by Burningham
  • Like 2

Got my cylinder head back from the machine shop. 

D3F3A635-0C40-46B9-AAE6-9A43D243F627.jpeg

I also got the seat mounted back as far as the cage allowed and added some padding on the cage. 

Edited by TimS

Last weekend I installed Aerocatch hood latches into the new hood.  Once that was done we cleaned up some more of the wiring, made sure the bumpers covers were secure and took it out for a spin.  Was going pretty well but I lost all power about 5 miles down the road.  Apparently the alternator isn't charging, which I guess is why the battery died last time. I'll chase that issue this week.  It ran well otherwise and the only other issue I noticed was a bit of a pull under braking.  Lost a 10mm wrench along the way, but found it lying next to the road on my way home last night (woot!).  Pulled the battery, reset it and recharged it.  I do love that feature on the Battery Tender LiFePo batteries, that would have been #2 of my old batteries.

• Like 1

We're doing more work on our car (1990 Audi 90 Quattro sedan) than ever this year.  What started as a "let's freshen up the engine with a rebuild" has turned into so much more.  It's the classic issue of scope creep because we've started tearing down the car.  That said, the seals on the Trans are all replaced, as well as the bearing in the center driveshaft.  Next up we have to rebuild the factory power steering rack that was leaking and then finish putting the head back together.  It feels good to be almost ready to put the engine and trans back in the car, but also feels like we're so far behind.

I really shouldn't complain as we've never had to do any of this work despite racing this car for about 10 years.  We've never had a DNF, so if anything we've maximized our seat time at the CC races.

Looking forward to the upcoming Texas races.  

• Like 2

New rear hub bearings installed, new rear bushings as well.  Hopefully all that is left is new brake pads, fluids and alignment before NCM in March.

On 1/28/2020 at 9:39 PM, LuckyKid said:

Featherweight brakes installed along with the new rear mini splitters.

30hrs of work yet before Road Atlanta!

20200128_182139.jpg

So what repurposed material are the splitters made from?

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 7:39 PM, LuckyKid said:

Featherweight brakes installed along with the new rear mini splitters.

30hrs of work yet before Road Atlanta!

20200128_182139.jpg

Rear mini splitter? I have never seen that before. Any data to support it as it would also cause drag I would think.

2 hours ago, KGRacing said:

Looks like the fuel tank cover being re purposed.

So they took part of the original fuel tank bulkhead and reused it. Assuming they used new metal to recreate bulkhead, this would fall into material points for the mini-splitter? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, theamsoilguy said:

Rear mini splitter? I have never seen that before. Any data to support it as it would also cause drag I would think.

I believe they have stated it only protrudes as far as the tires, so likely a drag reduction vs the spinning tire.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jakks said:

So they took part of the original fuel tank bulkhead and reused it. Assuming they used new metal to recreate bulkhead, this would fall into material points for the mini-splitter? 

No. Material for the rear bulkhead is free (Safety against fire). 

https://champcar.org/tech/knowledgebase.php?article=28

https://champcar.org/tech/knowledgebase.php?article=57

Tech knows about it.

Edit:

Personally I love the interpretation here that allows re purposed materials as aero. There is no real weight drop from the car and it pushes the series more toward a creative builders series. More chumpy, if you will.

Edited by KoneKillah
Chumpy.

6 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

I believe they have stated it only protrudes as far as the tires, so likely a drag reduction vs the spinning tire.

Actually due to the Magnus effect any air hitting a a spinning tire perpendicular to it's rotational axis will cause a bit of lift. This may mitigate that as well. Seems like a win to me.

13 minutes ago, KoneKillah said:

No. Material for the rear bulkhead is free (Safety against fire). 

https://champcar.org/tech/knowledgebase.php?article=28

https://champcar.org/tech/knowledgebase.php?article=57

Tech knows about it.

Edit:

Personally I love the interpretation here that allows re purposed materials as aero. There is no real weight drop from the car and it pushes the series more toward a creative builders series. More chumpy, if you will.

To clarify. This fuel tank cover was originally part of the fuel tank covering on a stock car? 

If yes, then what keeps anyone from using the back seat bulkhead original metal from using it as an air dam and paying no points while putting a new bulkhead up?

Edited by jakks
  • Thanks 1