What happened to your ChampCar today? - 2020

Bill Strong

The Lee Container Pontiac Firebird by Speedway Creations Racing was washed and waxed last night and parked in the garage.  Man, snow is some dirty stuff.  Now to reinstall all the driver cooling systems back in the car for Daytona Beach.

Been a busy year. Curvy Road Racing took off for 2019, not that it impacted anyone but we love racing and the people we have meet in ChampCar are great. Well we are coming back with some changes to our car. We were a blue/silver BMW 325. Well we went orange/black and are looking to get back to having fun at VIR in March.

10730.jpeg

• Like 1

Spent Friday down at CMP for the car's first track day since the rebuild (over 3 years).  With the exception of missing most of the first session due to having to charge the battery (<40* out), the car ran the rest of the day without any real issues.  Feels so much stiffer with the cage additions and new poly bushings in the rear.  Grip and balance were very good.  Love love love the LSD, I was able to easily drift out of the carousel and it just made the car much easier to drive at the limit everywhere around the track.  Biggest blunder of the day was forgetting the thumbscrew for the GoPros, so we didn't get any in-car video.  I was able to put down the best time of the day, 1:54.6, about 3 seconds off the spec miata times of the head instructor (who also got the pole and won this weekend's race), so I was pleased.  For basically rebuilding the entire drivetrain, suspension and brake system, to say I was happy driving home would be a big understatement.  Have a little tuning to do and some minor things to attend to, but we can officially sign up for Charlotte.  Woot!

Oh, and a pair of F35s did a fly-by at what looked like 1000ft which was freakin cool.

Edited by Bremsen
  • Like 3

We had a productive weekend working on the Audi.  Got the power steering rack rebuilt and reinstalled, as well as put the transmission back in with fresh seals.  Hopefully no more leaking from those 2 parts.  We also got the rear main seal and oil pan back on the block, as well as started porting/polishing the head.  Still lots of work to get the car finished but I'm feeling more "on schedule" than before.  IMG_6445.thumb.jpg.9a08d4f504e84af938230dd2d79833a0.jpg

IMG_6439.jpg

Attempted an alignment last night. Rear toe was 1/2" Out. Using this => https://www.garagistic.com/products/incremental-quick-rear-subframe-camber-and-toe-shim-kit-e30-e28-e34-z3-e21?variant=31068234448995&currency=USD&utm_campaign=gs-2019-11-06&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=Cj0KCQiA4sjyBRC5ARIsAEHsELG83ZWvUkpCtbn0dOdBikFkaBdoqnESG0NzoLLxriUk5WB-0Mc5FhQaAmOrEALw_wcB

tried to realgn this morning and found about 1/8" slop in the system. Maybe I was too aggressive on the opening of the stock slots. Either way, the stock system is going back in. Will manage rear tire wear with pressure. Was interested in trying this over eccentric washers and lock it in place. maybe user error is the root cause...

Cracked another beer and took tomorrow off with plans to do more work getting ready for NCM. First crank since the rebuild will be attempted tomorrow. Then whip it around the property. 

image.jpg

Edited by MichaelPal
  • Like 1

I have seen those rear subframes have issues with the bolt diameter not being large enough and causing slop like you mentioned.

Check it out.  It may just be the wrong diameter bolts for the bushings.

We wrapped ours in electrical tape to get us through the track day. 

• Like 1

Very productive day.

Sunroof delete panel installed.

Window net mounts welded to cage.

Brake cooling ducts installed.

Had to do some emergency surgery on one of the team after a slip with a knife.

Dash pad cut to fit back in.

Passenger seat mount finished.

New dampers installed.

Hardened wheel studs installed.

Need to paint the cage soon so we can put the rest back together.

Snapchat-397149260.jpg

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I have seen those rear subframes have issues with the bolt diameter not being large enough and causing slop like you mentioned.

Check it out.  It may just be the wrong diameter bolts for the bushings.

We wrapped ours in electrical tape to get us through the track day. 

Found slop in ours before RAtl. 1/2” bolts work well since the M12 is .47”. Also, rear adjusters are over-rated on the e30. Ask around and you’ll see very few e30 teams running them. Most have issues with them aligning fine and you hit one curb and it’s back out of alignment. Then you have to weld them. We’ve had 3/16” toe out for the longest time but are finally correcting with hopefully some new trailing arms. Tire wear isn’t impacted all that much as we still got 2 races out of RS-4’s. Handling slightly impacted possibly but us amateur drivers never notice it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jakks said:

Found slop in ours before RAtl. 1/2” bolts work well since the M12 is .47”. Also, rear adjusters are over-rated on the e30. Ask around and you’ll see very few e30 teams running them. Most have issues with them aligning fine and you hit one curb and it’s back out of alignment. Then you have to weld them. We’ve had 3/16” toe out for the longest time but are finally correcting with hopefully some new trailing arms. Tire wear isn’t impacted all that much as we still got 2 races out of RS-4’s. Handling slightly impacted possibly but us amateur drivers never notice it. 

@Paulie found that our e30 had 1/2" of dynamic rear toe at Road America (from ovaled bolt holes and bolts being too loose)... it may have progressively worsened over several races because I was accustomed to it and said "no, that's just how it drives... the rear dances a little when braking". I fixed it before the next race and it was the best the car has ever felt! We never have and never will run the toe adjuster things.. the passive rear toe is nearly straight, maybe 1/16 toe in and that seems good to us.

I stripped more parts off the parts car today.. need to get that out of the garage because the race car is coming home next weekend.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1

• Administrators
On 2/19/2020 at 10:59 AM, enginerd said:

Stripped a lot from the parts car and started cleaning the garage. Subframes/ trailing arms/ struts all appear to be in good shape. 

If you happen to want doors / wheels / glass from a 1991 e30 sedan, let me know. Will trade for beer.

What wheels?