Jump to content
Bill Strong

Ask the ChampCar Tech Inspectors questions at...

Recommended Posts

Need answers from ChampCar Tech? need a VPI? Can't figure out how to put the decals on?

Visit https://ChampCar.org/tech

 

Tech will no longer be answering questions via email or chat programs. All questions must go through the Tech Desk.

 

If you have a VPI question, all info about the car must be included:

Car year

Car make

Car model

Car trim level

Engine size

Engine Hp

FWD, RWD, AWD, 4x4?

Automatic or auto

Car weight

Link to 

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/ 

For your specific car. If your car is not listed on that website, please link any website that has the info.

 

If you do not include your research info above, your request will be denied.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the update information  this should make the tech line at WGI go much faster this year

🤣🤣

Edited by DRVOLKS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changed the email to to say that a reply should come within 72 hours from 48 hours. This allows tech to confer with the TAC and/or BOD, or within the tech group to get you an answer to your questions.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Bill Strong Can I use this helpdesk feature to ask things like: 

“I saw xxx part on yyy car and it was not claimed on their tech sheet. Is this a tech approved freebie/exemption/loophole or should I pull out $50 next time I see them in impound?”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not to be used like that. fork out the $50.
This was how the VPI questions were being used. It was taking staff way to long to research the members questions, so that's why we put into place requirements that YOU do the research. we will then use your info to research and double check the numbers. 
 

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

It is not to be used like that. fork out the $50.
This was how the VPI questions were being used. It was taking staff way to long to research the members questions, so that's why we put into place requirements that YOU do the research. we will then use your info to research and double check the numbers. 
 

 

This can be overruled by the CEO though. lol. (Chisek just messaged me saying the same thing. It is to be used for tech only. Protests are to be filed as explained in the BCCR)



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am already seeing questions by people who seem not to be able to follow directions. 
Like. "I have a Ford Dolomite." "Can I race it," or "can i get a VPI."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated intro page text.

If you would like your new build to be added to the VPI List, please click "Submit a ticket", then choose "VPI - Request to add to VPI List" topic. You MUST include all vehicle information, year, make, model, trim level, engine size, engine HP, Drive type (FWD, RWD, AWD, 4x4), auto or manual transmission, car weight, and all options. Your request will not be answered if you do not include all of that information. You must use http://www.automobile-catalog.com for all of your information submitted. Include the link to automobile catalog so we can quickly reference the data. If your car is not listed on that website, please link any website that has the info.
If you do not include your research info above, your request will be denied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More tweaks made over the past few days. 

Added per techs request that all questions list the year, make, and model of the cars and parts in question.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill,

 

I think the online helpdesk is a great way to document rule clarifications.

However, I can't get the search function to return any results for most of my search terms. 

Also it's a bit tedious to click through all the subcategories to see what's in them, is there another view that is just a long list (maybe sorted by date)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ABR-Glen said:

Bill,

 

I think the online helpdesk is a great way to document rule clarifications.

However, I can't get the search function to return any results for most of my search terms. 

Also it's a bit tedious to click through all the subcategories to see what's in them, is there another view that is just a long list (maybe sorted by date)?

 

I'll see what I can do. I am using the free version of the software right now. Once I get the go-ahead to use my 2020 budget then I will purchase the pro-version and see what we can do.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny story.  I asked back in January 10 what the points would be for an aluminum flywheel.  As per the techdesk rules you have to say what car it relates to so I put in 1990 Ford Mustang.  The answer came back as “Not allowed”.   Then I saw on the forum that some Miata’s had an aluminum flywheel for zero points this past year as per tech.  Now I see aluminum flywheels are 10 points.  

 

There is a lesson or key learning in there somewhere but I just can’t quite put my finger on it.  Hmmm.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

Funny story.  I asked back in January 10 what the points would be for an aluminum flywheel.  As per the techdesk rules you have to say what car it relates to so I put in 1990 Ford Mustang.  The answer came back as “Not allowed”.   Then I saw on the forum that some Miata’s had an aluminum flywheel for zero points this past year as per tech.  Now I see aluminum flywheels are 10 points.  

 

There is a lesson or key learning in there somewhere but I just can’t quite put my finger on it.  Hmmm.  

Clarify the timing for me if you would.  Did you mean ON January 10 as in 1/10/2020 or did you mean IN January ‘10 as in 1/2010?  I assume the first, but the use of “in” may mean the second. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

Clarify the timing for me if you would.  Did you mean ON January 10 as in 1/10/2020 or did you mean IN January ‘10 as in 1/2010?  I assume the first, but the use of “in” may mean the second. 

 

The reply was from the techdesk,  submitted Jan 10, 2020.  

Edited by Ron_e
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

Funny story.  I asked back in January 10 what the points would be for an aluminum flywheel.  As per the techdesk rules you have to say what car it relates to so I put in 1990 Ford Mustang.  The answer came back as “Not allowed”.   Then I saw on the forum that some Miata’s had an aluminum flywheel for zero points this past year as per tech.  Now I see aluminum flywheels are 10 points.  

 

There is a lesson or key learning in there somewhere but I just can’t quite put my finger on it.  Hmmm.  

I tried to GIVE away a fully running Mustang in the Champ forum and no one would take it.  I guess you’ve identified why....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, morganf said:

Literally doesn't answer the first question how many points for lightened (steel) flywheel. (Obivously 0pts if you lighten it with a dremel :O)

b60894d5-a2ec-4534-97ef-baa726b97a79-800_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1557880439

 

 

I can give you an answer, but it means nothing. put it on the tech list, get a ticket number, and tech and tac will get to it.
Maybe you should also ask what titanium flywheel would cost too? 5.5 pounds for a flywheel would be wicked awesome. Keep it low, because, because I already have way too many points.

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

 

 

I can give you an answer, but it means nothing. put it on the tech list, get a ticket number, and tech and tac will get to it.
Maybe you should also ask what titanium flywheel would cost too? 5.5 pounds for a flywheel would be wicked awesome. Keep it low, because, because I already have way too many points.

:)

Ok, new ticket was rejected (told to refer to article=62), then figured out how to reopen the old flywheel ticket. Don't need titanium that is an edge case, just need to cover the most COMMON basic available mods first steel chromoly flywheel are available for most cars and in many cases cheaper than OEM or at least within 2X.

Edited by morganf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I would read that as no points for weight change, 10 points for basic material change (steel/iron to aluminum or titanium).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, mender said:

Personally I would read that as no points for weight change, 10 points for basic material change (steel/iron to aluminum or titanium).

Right but the whole point of the tech site is to clarify things.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of us (ChampCar employees) don't have time to read the forum. If you have questions go to the tech forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

Most of us (ChampCar employees) don't have time to read the forum. If you have questions go to the tech forum. 

 

I wonder when the other answers to my January 10, 2020 questions and clarifications will get posted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...