Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wvumtnbkr

2 piece rotors now allowed as long as 2 x rule..

Recommended Posts

Is this true?

 

#nomorefreestuff.

 

#speedandcostcreep.

 

Yes, I realize that 2 piece rotors can save money in the long run.  However, cars that don't need them don't benefit and therefore need to spend money elsewhere to keep up with those that now have less limitations to go faster...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sure hope it’s not true.   It’s not about saving money it’s about finding ways to reduce unsprung rotating mass.  That’s a performance gain in racing.    

 

Please stop allowing free stuff!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been in the rule book for 2019 Just like this and I think it was the same way in 2018 as well but not sure. 

Read and analyze the rule book for every advantage. 

 

 

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 6.32.05 AM.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are teams costing 2-pc discs?  Retail kits?  Rings+Material+hardware?  Can someone show me an example?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is a loophole that is being exploited as teams are just showing rotor ring replacement cost and not the hat as well.   You can't run a rotor ring without a hat, its a package deal.    Some cars can probably get in under the rule, most cannot if they do the math accurately and correctly.   Someone should submit the question to the new help desk.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They way the rule book is literally worded, it’s only the cost of the disc.  On one piece parts, that also includes the “hat” portion.  On 2 piece parts, the hat is a different component.. so if the rotor is within 2x...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Huggy said:

They way the rule book is literally worded, it’s only the cost of the disc.  On one piece parts, that also includes the “hat” portion.  On 2 piece parts, the hat is a different component.. so if the rotor is within 2x...

...then the hat is points?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ABR-Glen said:

...then the hat is points?

Theoretically, yes.

 

in practice, I’m sure it’s called a “free spacer” or something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the points cost of using a Wilwood caliper? Is the custom bracket and brake line included for the 5 points?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a board meeting on Wednesday. I can bring this up for clarification. My thought is the rotor is 2x and to make a 2 piece rotor work with your car (other parts and not direct bolt on) then we have to have some points in there as well to make it work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I initially thought we could just charge the ring and then call the hat a spacer and that is what we ran to start the year.  But then I heard about a tech ruling that the hat needed to be included in the 2x.  We then move to a single disk midseason.   Then I found out 2x isn't the cheapest rotor but any stock rotor.  Based that we were able to get a hat and disc within the 2x for the Miata.

 

To summarize it is now my understanding that the 2x rule allows you to use the price of any stock replacement rotor.  when applied to a 2pcs rotor the price must include the hat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, look hard enough on the internet you can piece together a 2-pc Wilwood setup for a Civic and stay below 2x the price of a factory caliper and rotor.  Allowing dealer prices on replacement parts opens up a world of options vs using reman prices from the parts store like most have been doing for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was under the impressions the 2x comparison wasn't the $30 O'Reilly's junk-o-la special, but an OEM part or similar.  I don't even put those cheap rotors on my daily.  Such garbage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see where it says "Dealer pricing" is allowed.  4.8.1 says " available on- line by a nationally

recognized retail chain". Starting with O.E. list pricing, then appying 2x, that sounds generous.(and expensive.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, oblio125 said:

I don't see where it says "Dealer pricing" is allowed.  4.8.1 says " available on- line by a nationally

recognized retail chain". Starting with O.E. list pricing, then appying 2x, that sounds generous.(and expensive.) 

 

Unfortunately the ruling was issued in 2018 that the dealer is a ‘nationally recognized retail chain’ and therefore opened up the checkbooks of all of us.

 

i will be writing a petition on this again this year.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Snake said:

I think this is a loophole that is being exploited as teams are just showing rotor ring replacement cost and not the hat as well.   You can't run a rotor ring without a hat, its a package deal.    Some cars can probably get in under the rule, most cannot if they do the math accurately and correctly.   Someone should submit the question to the new help desk.    

 

With dealer pricing being acceptable for 2X now, I'm sure lots of people will use fuzzy math to make them fit....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Huggy said:

 

Unfortunately the ruling was issued in 2018 that the dealer is a ‘nationally recognized retail chain’ and therefore opened up the checkbooks of all of us.

 

i will be writing a petition on this again this year.

 

the issue is that some parts on some cars are dealer only items.  i think that is were dealer pricing for the 2x rule came in.  2-piece rotors should just be outlawed from the series, easy way to 'control costs'

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we really wanted to control costs /speed creep we should look at swaps. Currently you can add an intake(other than stock Because stock doesn’t fit) and add headers(because stock manifolds don’t work) for zero points.  What are you gaining, maybe 20-30hp free depending on set up.  Oh, we were talking about 2 piece rotors😉

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scottyk said:

If we really wanted to control costs /speed creep we should look at swaps. Currently you can add an intake(other than stock Because stock doesn’t fit) and add headers(because stock manifolds don’t work) for zero points.  What are you gaining, maybe 20-30hp free depending on set up.  Oh, we were talking about 2 piece rotors😉

 

i've said this for a while now. they are also not enforcing the swap value rule either, teams are dropping 3-4x on the 'swap engine' than they are supposed to be claiming 'well i bought a junk car for $500'  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

 

i've said this for a while now. they are also not enforcing the swap value rule either, teams are dropping 3-4x on the 'swap engine' than they are supposed to be claiming 'well i bought a junk car for $500'  

 

 

 

I got a receipt when I purchased mine. It has the VIN from the engine on it, and it matches what is on the engine. Do we require receipts that match the engine, or automatic EC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Huggy said:

 

Unfortunately the ruling was issued in 2018 that the dealer is a ‘nationally recognized retail chain’ and therefore opened up the checkbooks of all of us.

Where was this ruling issued? And by whom?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...