rollbar changes

ndpace

My car has been raced 7 or 8 Chumpcar races, the last one I raced it in was 6 years ago.  I am excited to get back racing since my son can now race.  I want him to be able to do some track days first in this car with some instruction.  To do that I need to add a passenger seat which means removing diagonal support bar that runs from the driver side hoop to the passenger floor.  I would like to replace that bar for racing for the additional support it adds in case of a collision.
I have attached some pictures. 
My first question is do I need any changes based on rule changes from 2014 Chumpcar?
My second question is would installing one of these on each end to make the diagonal bar removable pass tech?  https://www.jegs.com/i/Trail+Gear/542/180111-KIT/10002/-1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr7f41Zrm5gIVFcpkCh1QkgNDEAQYBSABEgJ1OfD_BwE

and if so then how much of the existing bar do I need to keep on each end when installing?

thanks,    Jim

280zx interior_sm.JPG

280zx interior2_sm.JPG

craigs list 049.jpg

• Technical Advisory Committee

Hello Jim welcome back, the bar in question is not a required bar and it would be fine to make it removable.  Juat make sure you use grade 8 hardware . The changes made to the cage rules have been a passenger side door or silbar which it looks like you already have . A requirement for next year is a dash bar and it looks like you have that also , just double check your welds and base plates and you should be good . You do need a fire system that has been certified within 2 years as I only see a fire extinguisher . Any other questions go to the tech desk on the main page . See you at the track ...

• Like 1

Being a race car fab guy for 30 yrs I would remove it and leave it out. Doesn't do you any real good expert for hindering you from egressing in an emergency. Actual Petty bars were mounted at the horizontal bar not top of the main hoop. They were also supported in the backside with 2 bars anchored to the frame rail to harness bar.

It would benefit you by adding a lower sill/rocker bar to protect from side intrusion.

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
On 1/6/2020 at 12:40 AM, ndpace said:

My car has been raced 7 or 8 Chumpcar races, the last one I raced it in was 6 years ago.  I am excited to get back racing since my son can now race.  I want him to be able to do some track days first in this car with some instruction.  To do that I need to add a passenger seat which means removing diagonal support bar that runs from the driver side hoop to the passenger floor.  I would like to replace that bar for racing for the additional support it adds in case of a collision.
I have attached some pictures. 
My first question is do I need any changes based on rule changes from 2014 Chumpcar?
My second question is would installing one of these on each end to make the diagonal bar removable pass tech?  https://www.jegs.com/i/Trail+Gear/542/180111-KIT/10002/-1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr7f41Zrm5gIVFcpkCh1QkgNDEAQYBSABEgJ1OfD_BwE

and if so then how much of the existing bar do I need to keep on each end when installing?

thanks,    Jim

280zx interior_sm.JPG

280zx interior2_sm.JPG

craigs list 049.jpg

Just thinking about the stub left when the bar is removed being beside the helmet area . I like what cagedruss suggested ..