Bill Strong

2020 Mini-Championships

On 2/5/2020 at 6:45 PM, DuncanDana said:

You haven't seen the format yet. I've been working with the track on some options so it's not always just the configuration you're used to.

Dana

PLEASE do NOT run the track backwards.   It was not designed to from a safety standpoint.   That is how someone died at the Disney track.   The track was bulldozed after that. 

On 3/3/2020 at 3:04 PM, shutupracing said:

Does the winner of the mini-championships get anything besides the bragging rights?

A trophy too

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 8.46.55 AM.png

• Like 4

On 3/3/2020 at 2:38 PM, Snake said:

PLEASE do NOT run the track backwards.   It was not designed to from a safety standpoint.   That is how someone died at the Disney track.   The track was bulldozed after that. 

It has been run backwards and the track is setting up the chicane to slow you down. 

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

It has been run backwards and the track is setting up the chicane to slow you down. 

Please look at the google earth photos.    Just because it's been done before doesn't mean it is safe.    This is exactly how an instructor died at the Exotic car driving experience at Disney a couple of years ago.  I think he ran with Chump back in the day.  The track was shut down and demo'd after that.     The concrete barrier cutouts at PBIR are only designed for the track to flow one way.   Any and all runoff was also designed for one way travel.  

89115421_2852337674826047_3912281634002436096_n.jpg

Edited by Snake

Soooo....they have to "slow you down" to be safe.

That sounds...safe, lol. 

• Haha 1

Its never been done before, only in a DE.  a DE with passing rules is not wheel to wheel racing.  

There has already been a death in florida from going around the track the wrong way:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3040264/Disney-driving-instructor-killed-24-year-old-birthday-boy-Lamborghini-tried-grab-wheel-drove-wrong-way-round-track.html

Edited by MoparBoyy

CCES seems to take safety seriously, but stuff like the drag racing compound at Sebring, and the Roval itself likely have a bigger impact on safety than mandating extra cage bars and fire systems.  I assume there is some kind of incident report collection taking place that will be easy enough to compile and evaluate to inform decisions.  I too would be very concerned about running a track backwards.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

I too would be very concerned about running a track backwards.

This track has never had w2w racing in reverse, only trackdays with very small numbers of cars.  watching two cars divebomb into an unsafe corner is enough to make me take my two cars somewhere else.  This track was not designed to be run backwards they just wanna throw up some tires and say 'send it'

i was looking forward to this race until i read that.

Edited by MoparBoyy

The only problem is the one turn at what would be the end of the straightway if run backwards...the one in the above photo....maybe they could change the curve radius for the barrier and solve that...I really can't imagine that track with more than 40 cars..I think we had 47 years ago at an scca enduro....I live 12 miles from there , so I hope we have a slim field..