Official 2020 - TireRack.com Indy Double-10-Hour Enduro

4 minutes ago, Huggy said:

to do a transmission swap in a trailer park parking lot...

Yeah but think about all the fun you would have missed not having the local trailer park residents cheering us on.  Or the night before with the lady passed out laying in the yard and when knocking on the door the lady answers, sees her friend laying in the grass, and slamming the door in my face.  Good times.

• Haha 2
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man, some of you guys really hate restrictions... we aren’t doing Indy this year (for other reasons) but would love to go back next year. And if next year Indy says we have to walk backwards to the fu

Indy's ridiculous restrictions are 100% why I did not want to return, and most of the guys I went with felt the same way.   Locked gates everywhere 58 people telling me where to park

2020 had all the indications for a record year for ChampCar.   I'm confident that 2021 will pickup where 2020 left off.  Teams will be hungry for some racing.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Huggy said:

Indy's ridiculous restrictions are 100% why I did not want to return, and most of the guys I went with felt the same way.

Locked gates everywhere

58 people telling me where to park

No scooters, electric power, etc

No karts

Leave at 8 pm (to do a transmission swap in a trailer park parking lot...)

3 hours in line to buy overpriced fuel

Not trying to be negative, but when you have the meeting with indy, these details are things teams consider when deciding what track to go to. 

The novelty of Indy is worth putting up with once, after that sometimes it wears off a bit.

Ditto

2 hours ago, Huggy said:

Indy's ridiculous restrictions are 100% why I did not want to return, and most of the guys I went with felt the same way.

Locked gates everywhere

No karts

Not trying to be negative, but when you have the meeting with indy, these details are things teams consider when deciding what track to go to. 

The novelty of Indy is worth putting up with once, after that sometimes it wears off a bit.

I heard the same from a couple other people who were there last year, and as a team we decided the aggravations you mentioned weren't worth it. 

11 minutes ago, Snorman said:

I heard the same from a couple other people who were there last year, and as a team we decided the aggravations you mentioned weren't worth it. 

Given we are almost certainly not going next year, if you want to run at Indy, this may be your last chance.  Sign up!!  There are a lot of orphaned arrive and drive people looking for a ride now...

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Its worth it, if you can load up and go!

Like other places,  the lack of carts and scooters may lift after the track learns us chumps.

7 minutes ago, Jer said:

Given we are almost certainly not going next year, if you want to run at Indy, this may be your last chance.  Sign up!!  There are a lot of orphaned arrive and drive people looking for a ride now...

We can't. It's too close to PBIR and there is a Friday test day at Palm Beach, so would be brutal and even worse if we had a mechanical issue with one of the cars. 

We had to pull out last year due to car issues; few of us ended making the trip out anyway and drove for other teams. We're going back this year to make amends from the disappointment of 2019 and to cross it off the list for our team. We have already decided not to enter again. The restrictions (particularly fuel, karts, and parking) combined with the additional cost of running the event mean that we would prefer to concentrate on other events. Given the additional disruption to the racing calendar and the economy this year, I'm not surprised to see many other teams coming to the same conclusion.

Whilst appreciative of the history of the facility and the great efforts of CCES to bring us the opportunity to race there, I'm not sure that this is the racing on which IMS wishes to focus, and if it's not profitable for either party then it's probably not worth pursuing. 

That said, we are fully committed to the event this year, and if any drivers have found themselves out of a seat and still fancy making the trip then please reach out as we have a few stints available.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Snorman said:

We can't. It's too close to PBIR and there is a Friday test day at Palm Beach, so would be brutal and even worse if we had a mechanical issue with one of the cars. 

Sad but I do get it.

The team was not into it but I personally wanted to attend, had not one, but 2 seats available @ indy, but PBIR is literally in my backyard and a week away.

With flying out of the question (wife covid thing) it would have been hell racing 2 cars @ PBIR after driving up and back myself or with another team (driving with another team could add a day or 2 above a hit and run alone)

Funny times here, Made a mistake not exploring tagging along/driving the tow truck with another FL team to COTA(had flying in mind) and definately NEVER figured PBIR would impact such a decision.

Edited by Team Infiniti

Just was talking with our team and are curious if the Indy race is going to take place?  The car count is dropping and its not a good business practice to lose money.  We are all in and want to go but don't want to drive 8 hrs and not have a race.  Like i said we want to race and are leaving Thursday AM to head out so we are ready for move in on Friday.  So if Champcar is going to cancel please let us know as soon as possible.

26 minutes ago, Davektm609 said:

Just was talking with our team and are curious if the Indy race is going to take place?  The car count is dropping and its not a good business practice to lose money.  We are all in and want to go but don't want to drive 8 hrs and not have a race.  Like i said we want to race and are leaving Thursday AM to head out so we are ready for move in on Friday.  So if Champcar is going to cancel please let us know as soon as possible.

Its on, there are no plans to cancel.

46 minutes ago, Davektm609 said:

To my knowledge Champcar has never done something like that, no way they pull the plug on a race this close in.

On 9/1/2020 at 9:39 AM, Bill Strong said:

Seriously. We need more car entries. We had about 10 "arrive & driver" teams pull out this past weekend as they could not fill their seats. That's almost $30k lost.

we aren’t an arrive and drive team but I could not find enough people to drive even for no charge. It’s unfortunate but it is a byproduct of all the covid nonsense. 

• Sad 2
18 minutes ago, TimS said:

we aren’t an arrive and drive team but I could not find enough people to drive even for no charge. It’s unfortunate but it is a byproduct of all the covid nonsense. 

I’ll drive for no charge! And I’ll even turn wrenches and crew!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
44 minutes ago, TimS said:

we had a list of drivers looking for teams.

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

we had a list of drivers looking for teams.

For anyone concerned, don't be.  The race is happening!  See you all there.  

2 hours ago, enginerd said:

I’ll drive for no charge! And I’ll even turn wrenches and crew!

Would have taken your offer a few weeks ago. We are regrouping for Sebring in November if you’re interested. 

• Like 1
On 9/1/2020 at 9:50 AM, Huggy said:

Locked gates everywhere

No karts

All of this. We're doing indy this year for the novelty but their restrictions are beyond onerous to the point of bad faith. I've already concluded we will not be doing indy next year. 

• Like 1

Man, some of you guys really hate restrictions... we aren’t doing Indy this year (for other reasons) but would love to go back next year. And if next year Indy says we have to walk backwards to the fuel truck and pay in pennies and hang 13 mirror tags for parking and get a military background check for every crew member and only ride unicycles to get around, the only thing I would say is

36EA31CF-E5FE-4C67-907E-D9D560160435.gif

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

Man, some of you guys really hate restrictions... we aren’t doing Indy this year (for other reasons) but would love to go back next year. And if next year Indy says we have to walk backwards to the fuel truck and pay in pennies and hang 13 mirror tags for parking and get a military background check for every crew member and only ride unicycles to get around, the only thing I would say is

Me too, I feel the very same.  

• Like 1

I think the restrictions are only part of it.  The whole Covid situation has everything all screwed up.  It's made some aspects of life a lot harder for a lot of people.  There's also a lot of uncertainty.

I'd love to do Indy some day, but with a relatively untested car, that's an awful long tow.

40 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

I think the restrictions are only part of it.  The whole Covid situation has everything all screwed up.  It's made some aspects of life a lot harder for a lot of people.  There's also a lot of uncertainty.

I'd love to do Indy some day, but with a relatively untested car, that's an awful long tow.

Yeah COVID is a probably the biggest reason for the drop as you gotta remember that we were at 110 cars on the entry before COVID. Restrictions weren't that big of a deal to me but do agree they do need to bring in another fuel pump or two if we were at 110 cars but I think it should be pretty decent with the field we have. 

As for the race itself forecast is still looking great showing low to mid 70's each day and next to no chance of rain. Also the track is gonna be worked in a bit more than last year as they are running some races at the track this weekend (MX-5 Cup and Road to Indy open wheel cars). 

Edited by gsmith2424
3 hours ago, enginerd said:

Hahha, I'm so thankful champcar does this and I know its not their fault. The golfcart thing for example seems stupid. It's not that they don't allow carts, they just dont allow carts -for us-. They seem to want to put their hands into everything. That and what you get for the money. For example VIR is a top notch facility, their staff are incredible, and they don't give you the boot at 9pm. Indy have made it very clear they care more about the profit than they do the sport; when you do that, then I start to look at it from a financial side only and judge based on that. 

If we win, I'll gladly give all the winnings back to champ car and I'd urge anyone who actually wins to do the same.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, RandomTask said:

Hahha, I'm so thankful champcar does this and I know its not their fault. The golfcart thing for example seems stupid. It's not that they don't allow carts, they just dont allow carts -for us-. They seem to want to put their hands into everything. That and what you get for the money. For example VIR is a top notch facility, their staff are incredible, and they don't give you the boot at 9pm. Indy have made it very clear they care more about the profit than they do the sport; when you do that, then I start to look at it from a financial side only and judge based on that. 

If we win, I'll gladly give all the winnings back to champ car and I'd urge anyone who actually wins to do the same.

I feel pretty much the same way. I don’t want to minimize the experience of racing there, we took our car last year for all the reasons of racing at the mecca of motorsports in the good ole US of A. I am grateful to CCES for giving us the opportunity. Anyone that has not done it, should. And its not too late.  On the fence?  Do it. But been there done that in our car, the restrictions just make it a pain in the ass to not be a priority for us to do it again. However, I am going back this year with another team so I am still looking forward to the weekend and thankful to be able to do it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

We did it in a very tested car, and still had problems never seen before...Finishing position abysmal, worth every minute/dollar!

Edit: 18 hr tow and book hotels ahead of time.

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 1