Bill Strong

Official 2020 - Daytona Beach Independence 14-Hour - UPDATED - July 5

1 hour ago, Snake said:

Later for the fireworks display you guys have planned right? 

I believe a interoffice memo said something about a Mustang being the provider of all fireworks. ETA of said fireworks were still to be determined...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bill Strong said:

I believe a interoffice memo said something about a Mustang being the provider of all fireworks. ETA of said fireworks were still to be determined...

Oh, we were planning on bringing the new build out for this one.   Sorry. 

4 hours ago, Snake said:

Oh, we were planning on bringing the new build out for this one.   Sorry. 

So Disney level of fireworks. Awesome!

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

oooh I can have a shot at KSR at this race? Hmmmmm

Doooo it!

What is going on?!?

2020 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship Schedule (Revised):
Jan. 25-26 — Rolex 24 at Daytona (DPi, LMP2, GTLM, GTD)
July 3-4 — Daytona (DPi, GTLM, GTD)
July 17-18 — Sebring (DPi, LMP2, GTLM, GTD**)

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/season-to-restart-with-july-daytona-sebring-races/?fbclid=IwAR3As9lAd5wH2jYdGHANkQdGTg1DURXIAPWZPmaLKor31zn7rxJWBjZtsc8

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Looks like someone might have flexed their muscle on us. I'm sure we will get an update soon. Bet CCES was told they couldn't say anything till it was announced. This is not an official press announcement, so until IMSA says it, I bet CCES hands are tied.

Edited by mindspin311
  • Sad 1

IMSA at Daytona July 4?
We know about this, IMSA has not made a decision for the race, and the IMSA bosses have made no decision. 365 Magazine is incorrect.
IMSA. Daytona and ChampCar have been in discussions for 2 weeks, and nothing has been decided.
ChampCar is still on the July 4th Schedule. If a decision is made, we will move our race to Sunday.
Bottom line. Our event is still on for that weekend. This decision was made by IMSA, Daytona, and ChampCar.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, mindspin311 said:

Looks like someone might have flexed their muscle on us. I'm sure we will get an update soon. Bet CCES was told they couldn't say anything till it was announced. This is not an official press announcement, so until IMSA says it, I bet CCES hands are tied.

Racer.com and Road Atlanta's (NASCAR/IMSA owned/runned) has the same information up. I'd say it's pretty official that IMSA is running at Daytona.

Yes, we are shifting to Sunday July 5th at Daytona.

Ok, the BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front). We are shifting our race date to Sunday.

Still reading? Great! A little back story. Just like everyone else, IMSA and the broadcast networks are looking to get racing back on TV and they want to run a night race on Saturday. But keep reading, cause there's some excellent positives for us here.

The IMSA event is for TV only, no spectators. Except us. We will be loading in Saturday, which means we will have access to see the entire IMSA event run. Their practice and qualifying will be running on track while we are conducting Tech and Registration. When their race starts, you guys will be the only ones able to view it live. If you ever wanted to see an IMSA event from the inside, behind the scenes, this is it.

In fairness, there will be some changes and some challenges. The biggest ones are garages, pit-lane, and Tech.

The IMSA teams will be working out of the Yellow garages. If you were assigned in Yellow I will shift you over to a Blue garage. Also, if you are a multi-car team, I may need you to work out of a single garage. That way every team can have access to a garage.

Because IMSA will be racing into the night, we will not be able to set up pit-lane until Sunday morning. We will work with the track to try and get you access as early as we can Sunday morning. 

We will not be able to run two Tech lines. We will really need to limit the number of cars in Tech. If you have a 2020 Tech sticker please do not come to Tech. Even if you've made a small change (emphasis on small) do not come to re-tech. If you feel you need Tech to really look over the car please contact Jay Mauney here. He can can arrange a video call prior to the race.

I know this is a change. If you're like me your reserve of change tolerance is getting low. But we are really focusing on the positives of this. We've always had a terrific relationship with IMA, ISC, and DIS. They could have just bumped us. Instead they chose to contact us and work with us, including allowing ChampCar members access to their race. Credit for that goes to the reputation you guys have earned for ChampCar as an organization.

The updated Supplemental Rules with more detailed times are here.

We are doing everything we can to get ChampCar races running again, and make this Daytona event a great time for you!

Any other general questions about the Daytona race please contact me here.

Thanks very much!   

We're looking forward to seeing you all in Florida to celebrate our Independence Day!

The ChampCar Staff  

• Like 6

On 5/15/2020 at 5:09 PM, dogtired said:

Anyway y'all can adjust the group rate dates at the hotel to 7/3-7/6?

I will get with Andrea...

stay tuned

On 5/15/2020 at 5:09 PM, dogtired said:

Anyway y'all can adjust the group rate dates at the hotel to 7/3-7/6?

She said she would do that on monday. 

@Bill Strong Any information yet if Daytona will be limiting the amount of people per team or if nothing yet when would we expect to get it? Asking based on what is being seen for Watkins and the need to plan.

Edited by gsmith2424

On 5/23/2020 at 1:41 PM, gsmith2424 said:

@Bill Strong Any information yet if Daytona will be limiting the amount of people per team or if nothing yet when would we expect to get it? Asking based on what is being seen for Watkins and the need to plan.

Watkins Glen is based on directives from local health officials, not the track ownership.
So far there are no limits imposed by Daytona track officials, or Daytona Beach officials.
We can't predict anything right now. Things change quickly. If we hear anything, the captains will be emailed.

ChampCar Daytona was oversold. We have 1/2 the garage area. So you should not be planning to bring hordes of extra people and equipment.

This is a good place to remind everyone that we have zero room for personal vehicles in the blue garage area. One hauler, rig, trailer, or whatever your team uses to transport the car and gear, in the Blue garage area. ZERO personal cars as there is no room.

How many points for adding A/C back into my car? :)

Can't wait! Car hits the rollers this week and prep goes into full swing!

Edited by Slugworks Paul

4 hours ago, Slugworks Paul said:

How many points for adding A/C back into my car?

Engineer it to work your cool shirt 🤩

Edit

Oh crap, just figured out how to do it without spinning the compressor to death, AND helping decel... compressor relay wired to brake lights :P

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Updated Daytona Supps.
Added COVID-19 Event Guidelines
Added ChampCar insurance waiver

Please print out one waiver for all of your drivers, crew, guests. They have to have these pre-filled before they enter the track. It's like their ticket, kind of.

https://champcar.org/register/supplementalrules/405.pdf
You may download and print more waivers from the events page at
https://champcar.org/register/events.php

https://champcar.org/mainweb/pdf/ChampCar-Covid-Waiver.pdf

Has there been any info regarding whether CCES participants will be able to "spectate" the IMSA race on Saturday? Will we be able to roam the infield?