Official 2020 - Daytona Beach Independence 14-Hour - UPDATED - July 5

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since the other topic was shut down. Looks like this was “allegedly” Matt Connelly himself driving the first stint with the multiple the BMW vs others contacts. I’m ok with posts getting deleted or to

From experience, pit marshalls are usually told to go to the teams box and advise them to call if the driver misses the black flag.  Might be dependent on regions though, but in the Central where we t

I assume it is to discuss a lifetime ban vs. a lifetime ban. Hopefully doesn't take too long to decide.

Posted Images

Pre-Tech by Skype

For those individuals who are concerned about interacting with ChampCar tech staff and the transfer of germs/viruses/bacteria, ChampCar is offering Pre-Tech by Skype from the safety of your own garage.  This is a full vehicle inspection done the same way as it would be done in person.  If you are interested in this service here’s how to sign up:

• Ensure you have what is needed to do a video call (high speed internet connection, camera, audio).
  • Contact jay.mauney@champcar.org and request an appointment.  Appointments are limited so don’t wait too long.
  • Print out a ChampCar tech sheet and completely fill it out before your meeting.
  • At your tech appointment you will show Tech all aspects of your car and answer any questions tech has.  If your car passes inspection, Jay will send you an email confirming your success.
  • When you arrive at the track have one team member drive your car to tech and pull into the line marked “Pre-Tech Cars”.  A ChampCar tech official will ask for your confirmation email.  No email and they will ask you to move to the regular line.
  • With your email in hand, the ChampCar tech official will walk around your car one time to confirm everything from your Skype call is there.  They will then place an annual tech decal on your car and you are done and ready to race.

Despite the nature of this inspection being via teleconference, all the same rules and policies apply.  You are required to disclose all details of your car.  If aspects of your car are hidden and later discovered at the track, whether at pre-tech confirmation, post race impound or anywhere in between, you can be moved to EC or disqualified or removed from the track.  Our hope is that this new option can alleviate the fears some of you may have about direct contact this summer and help speed up our current tech process.  If you have any questions, email info@champcar.org.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The group rate seems to be fubar'd.... I was told it was only valid for Saturday night.... and the hotel is sold out.... what I get for waiting until the last minute I suppose.

On 5/29/2020 at 6:57 AM, Bill Strong said:

Pre-Tech by Skype

For those individuals who are concerned about interacting with ChampCar tech staff and the transfer of germs/viruses/bacteria, ChampCar is offering Pre-Tech by Skype from the safety of your own garage.  This is a full vehicle inspection done the same way as it would be done in person.  If you are interested in this service here’s how to sign up:

• Ensure you have what is needed to do a video call (high speed internet connection, camera, audio).
  • Contact jay.mauney@champcar.org and request an appointment.  Appointments are limited so don’t wait too long.
  • Print out a ChampCar tech sheet and completely fill it out before your meeting.
  • At your tech appointment you will show Tech all aspects of your car and answer any questions tech has.  If your car passes inspection, Jay will send you an email confirming your success.
  • When you arrive at the track have one team member drive your car to tech and pull into the line marked “Pre-Tech Cars”.  A ChampCar tech official will ask for your confirmation email.  No email and they will ask you to move to the regular line.
  • With your email in hand, the ChampCar tech official will walk around your car one time to confirm everything from your Skype call is there.  They will then place an annual tech decal on your car and you are done and ready to race.

Despite the nature of this inspection being via teleconference, all the same rules and policies apply.  You are required to disclose all details of your car.  If aspects of your car are hidden and later discovered at the track, whether at pre-tech confirmation, post race impound or anywhere in between, you can be moved to EC or disqualified or removed from the track.  Our hope is that this new option can alleviate the fears some of you may have about direct contact this summer and help speed up our current tech process.  If you have any questions, email info@champcar.org.

Thank you for not using the nefarious platform of Zoom. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mindspin311 said:

But CCES has yet to tell us if we're allowed to spectate...

Didn't they mention earlier that we would be the only spectators? I imagine this won't change since we are competitors the following day and some of us will be camping out at the track. I fully expected NASCAR/IMSA to turn this into a shitshow like they do with everything else. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, dirtybird222 said:

I fully expected NASCAR/IMSA to turn this into a shitshow like they do with everything else. 

Yeah like how they only use to allow a 12x6x6 cooler for the Rolex 24 in the grandstands up until a couple years ago.

I called about camping and was told that only 150 RV spots were now available (no other camping) and I had to buy a ticket to the IMSA race, blah blah blah.  I tried to explain, they got confused, I now have a different number for owner/driver RVs and will call tomorrow.  Gonna be hanging with the Penske boys if they let me in.  Will share what I learn.

17 hours ago, eyeballs19 said:

I called about camping and was told that only 150 RV spots were now available (no other camping) and I had to buy a ticket to the IMSA race, blah blah blah.  I tried to explain, they got confused, I now have a different number for owner/driver RVs and will call tomorrow.  Gonna be hanging with the Penske boys if they let me in.  Will share what I learn.

Please don't It is all handled through ChampCar.

4 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Please don't It is all handled through ChampCar.

Sorry.  Got confused and didn't want to sleep on the beach.  So how do we sort it out?  The supplementals say all camping is at Lake Lloyd Shores and Daytona says they are closed.  Do we email Dana?  Couldn't find a way to pay the $75 referenced in the supps.

10 hours ago, eyeballs19 said:

Sorry.  Got confused and didn't want to sleep on the beach.  So how do we sort it out?  The supplementals say all camping is at Lake Lloyd Shores and Daytona says they are closed.  Do we email Dana?  Couldn't find a way to pay the $75 referenced in the supps.

When we load in on Saturday there will be a ChampCar staff member at the entrance to the Lake Loyd RV area. When you enter the camping area the staff member will collect the $75 and you pick a space. In all the years we have been running Daytona we have never used more than half the available spaces, so there's plenty of room.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, DuncanDana said:

When we load in on Saturday there will be a ChampCar staff member at the entrance to the Lake Loyd RV area. When you enter the camping area the staff member will collect the $75 and you pick a space. In all the years we have been running Daytona we have never used more than half the available spaces, so there's plenty of room.

I will add this to the supps.

First question: Didn't see this addressed anywhere - how are those limited garages being given out?  I got 'first come first served' but where are we supposed to go once we show up to (hopefully) secure one of those garages?

Second question: Is there electricity anywhere in that paddock area for us?  There's going to be a ton of us stuck miles from the pits - we can bring generators if needed, but just want to know ahead of time if it's likely to be necessary.

I realize this is a pretty fluid situation, so I'm not trying to be pushy.

Edited by krispykritter
power -> electricity.

update. the "Paddock" area is being moved. Still awaiting as to where you guys will paddock.

9 hours ago, krispykritter said:

First question: Didn't see this addressed anywhere - how are those limited garages being given out?  I got 'first come first served' but where are we supposed to go once we show up to (hopefully) secure one of those garages?

I asked Mike Morrison, and he will get an answer.

Second question: Is there electricity anywhere in that paddock area for us?  There's going to be a ton of us stuck miles from the pits - we can bring generators if needed, but just want to know ahead of time if it's likely to be necessary.

I realize this is a pretty fluid situation, so I'm not trying to be pushy.

This area has changed. More info to follow

• Like 1
On 6/12/2020 at 5:00 PM, gsmith2424 said:

Well if you are coming from New York and the try state area you better leave two weeks plus before the race as they just extended the two week quarantine for people from that area coming into Florida (information in the link below). This is going to make things harder now.

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/travelers/

Well, this is going to be a huge problem for me'

On 6/19/2020 at 7:50 AM, krispykritter said:

I hope this is simply a misunderstanding with the way Mike worded the garage statement. I believe he meant that the garages are assigned on a first email, first served basis. I, like 59 other entrants, emailed my garage request when I paid for it back February. If this is truly going to become a first to the gate, first to get a garage, well, that could potentially turn ugly very fast.

8 minutes ago, Mazmarc said:
  On 6/19/2020 at 7:50 AM, krispykritter said:

I hope this is simply a misunderstanding with the way Mike worded the garage statement. I believe he meant that the garages are assigned on a first email, first served basis. I, like 59 other entrants, emailed my garage request when I paid for it back February. If this is truly going to become a first to the gate, first to get a garage, well, that could potentially turn ugly very fast.

Garages are in fact assigned and cost $$.   I have an assigned garage #. 

Edited by Snake
19 minutes ago, Mazmarc said:

Thank you sir.

Do you have email verification as such?

I "could" believe that my email requesting a garage was past the 60 spot cutoff.

I do.  I got an email with my assigned garage #. 

15 hours ago, Snake said:
15 hours ago, Mazmarc said:

Thank you sir.

Do you have email verification as such?

I "could" believe that my email requesting a garage was past the 60 spot cutoff.

I do.  I got an email with my assigned garage #. 

I believe I emailed way back when but could also belief I was passed the cutoff.  I have trouble remembering last week these day.  'First paid/message, first served' makes more sense than how I read it initially, thank you.

Edit: just looked, we emailed Feb 24th.  Haven't gotten an email response.

On 6/19/2020 at 5:23 PM, Bill Strong said:

update. the "Paddock" area is being moved. Still awaiting as to where you guys will paddock.

This area has changed. More info to follow

Thanks for the update.  Staying on our toes.

Edited by krispykritter