Official 2020 - Road America: The Landjaeger Cup 8+7-Hour Enduro (Cancelled)

I hope proponents of running this race are just kidding.  Do your local medical team a favor and stay home. 

I hope Champcar or Road America cancel the race NOW so people don't start getting together or running to stores for parts to work on their cars during this last month.

There are FAR more cases in the world that are being reported from lack of testing*.  We've got a ways to go before we're at peak infections.  I know this sucks for everyone.  You'll get tired of your house, family, dog, homeschooling/failing at homeschooling, homemade toilet paper alternatives, etc but stay home.

If you need the adrenaline rush, skip the racetrack for a couple months and volunteer at your hospital to be a front door covid screener.  Or give a hug to the ICU nurse that took care of your neighbor (40, healthy, no travel, dying).  That should get your heart racing as much as running out of brakes at RA, damhik.

Maybe I misread the above, and it's all in jest, but this stuff is serious.  There's no prevention, there's no cure, your kid can die just like your grandma.  The only option we have is to hermit up and not rush into the world so that people that are sick are given a chance.  Easter's a pipe dream (think 400 pt SC400 pipe dream).  Please be doing the smart thing.

*My county has 17 reported cases.  In 1 shift this weekend, I saw 10 people that definitely have it, 2 of which came into the ER for trauma (not covid symptoms).  They'll probably be reported sometime next week when local/state lab confirms.  There are plenty others that didn't crack their head open out in the world. This is happening at 150 other hospitals in my state and all around the country. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Quote of the day.  Well 2 of them:

"you can't sacrifice human life to get the stock market up."

"There is no dollar figure on human life in this country...”

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, macheesy said:

I hope proponents of running this race are just kidding.  Do your local medical team a favor and stay home. 

I hope Champcar or Road America cancel the race NOW so people don't start getting together or running to stores for parts to work on their cars during this last month.

There are FAR more cases in the world that are being reported from lack of testing*.  We've got a ways to go before we're at peak infections.  I know this sucks for everyone.  You'll get tired of your house, family, dog, homeschooling/failing at homeschooling, homemade toilet paper alternatives, etc but stay home.

If you need the adrenaline rush, skip the racetrack for a couple months and volunteer at your hospital to be a front door covid screener.  Or give a hug to the ICU nurse that took care of your neighbor (40, healthy, no travel, dying).  That should get your heart racing as much as running out of brakes at RA, damhik.

Maybe I misread the above, and it's all in jest, but this stuff is serious.  There's no prevention, there's no cure, your kid can die just like your grandma.  The only option we have is to hermit up and not rush into the world so that people that are sick are given a chance.  Easter's a pipe dream (think 400 pt SC400 pipe dream).  Please be doing the smart thing.

*My county has 17 reported cases.  In 1 shift this weekend, I saw 10 people that definitely have it, 2 of which came into the ER for trauma (not covid symptoms).  They'll probably be reported sometime next week when local/state lab confirms.  There are plenty others that didn't crack their head open out in the world. This is happening at 150 other hospitals in my state and all around the country. 

Thank you for your efforts on the front lines!  Your first hand accounts are sobering and worse yet, you and your colleagues are also short critical supplies to stay safe yourselves and short on the  equipment required to save lives.  While I anxiously await a chance to get in a race car again, it is definitely secondary to our current reality.  Good luck and stay safe!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, macheesy said:

There are some other issues as well.  Getting drivers from other parts of the country (California and North Carolina) when the WI governor also made it illegal to travel to / from non-essential venues, and air travel is an absolute mess, not to mention the logistics once at RA for food and such.

We will likely have to cancel anyway whether or not we want to.  We are being asked to quickly 3D print components for ventilators on an emergency basis and be prepared to do so 7 days a week for at least 60 days.  If that happens (which at this point is pretty likely), much of the team will be doing that instead of racing.  There will be more racing......but, priorities

• Thanks 1
On 3/25/2020 at 6:11 PM, dipperk120 said:

There are some other issues as well.  Getting drivers from other parts of the country (California and North Carolina) when the WI governor also made it illegal to travel to / from non-essential venues, and air travel is an absolute mess, not to mention the logistics once at RA for food and such.

We will likely have to cancel anyway whether or not we want to.  We are being asked to quickly 3D print components for ventilators on an emergency basis and be prepared to do so 7 days a week for at least 60 days.  If that happens (which at this point is pretty likely), much of the team will be doing that instead of racing.  There will be more racing......but, priorities

PM me if you need 3D print support.  We have plastic and metal printers 

21 hours ago, flytime said:

PM me if you need 3D print support.  We have plastic and metal printers 

Thanks - I will certainly keep that in mind.  We have good capacity now with HP MultiJet Fusion for PA-12 parts and are standing by with 4 SLMs if need be

With the national position, it would be hard for any state to lift the requirement. Nevertheless, if allowed, I will travel to RA for the race.  

• Like 1

I have very carefully reviewed the Wisconsin executive order as part of my day job, and I put the chances of this race happening at precisely zero. In my opinion Road America is being incredibly irresponsible by not announcing that the track is closing. It's like they're playing chicken with the organizers to see who will cancel first because if the orgs. cancel RA (I assume) gets to keep some or all of the fees.

• Like 5
I'm sure it comes as no surprise but ChampCar's April Road America event is now officially cancelled.

We just wrapped up a call with Road America this afternoon and due to the ongoing situation our April 18 - 19 event must be cancelled. We'd like to thank all of the teams that are signed up and the great team at Road America for working with us during these strange times. 

We're fortunate that Road America is one of a couple tracks on the schedule that we have multiple races at a year, so you can still get your fix in October! During the next week we will transfer all the entries and funds paid from the April race to the October 24 - 25 race. If you would prefer a refund or to have the funds transferred to another event email me and we will take care of it.

Stay safe and we're looking forward to seeing you all at the track very soon!

The ChampCar Staff  
52 minutes ago, hotchkis23 said:

Maybe this means the fall race will have 100 entries?  That would be really exciting!!!!

I think there are going to be a lot of very full events for the rest of the summer if (WHEN) this lasts another month or two. That will be a lot of fun!

• Like 1