Bill Strong

2020 - Sahlen's Champ Yard Dog at the Glen - Now June 26-28

1 hour ago, Poverty Auto Sport said:

Wait, so the gas splashing all over your gloves during fueling doesn't count as "washing"?

Ooph!

That's why you have fueling gloves.  Make sure they are a fire resistant material, not a treatment.  Then make sure they get washed.

Having gas sponges on your hands during fueling would be no bueno. 

I know you were joking, but just taking a minute for safety.

I would like to thank you guys for all the helpful ideas. ChampCar event directors and staff have not been sitting still during the COVID-19 event. We have been working behind the scenes with PPE suppliers, and working out processes for how we return to racing safely using CDC guidelines, New York guidelines, International Speedway guidelines (They own WGI), guidelines set in place by our insurance company, and by medical advice of healthcare professionals. 

I am married to a Doctor of Nursing Practice.   A DNP ACNP, board certified.  We have been sharing my office while she has been doing telehealth. Well, until she kicks me out when she has to talk directly with patients.  Privacy and all.  But I have learned a lot from just listening, and getting advice from front line medical workers.

At no time will we use Social Media Pandemic Experts for advice.

Our group has worked hard at devising work arounds to the normally manual way we do things at events that minimize risk to racers, staff, and safety crews.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2020 at 4:18 PM, shutupracing said:

Signed up for a track masters event at WGI the Monday before the event (18th) to test the car and pass @B-Rad a bunch of times. Can’t come soon enough!

might be worth it for other locals who want to get some last minute testing and shakedowns done. 

I guess this track masters event was just cancelled today. 

Not sure what info they got that Champcar did not. But it is unfortunate. 

Now to wait and see what happens. Guess Friday will be the test day if it happens. 

49 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

At no time will we use Social Media Pandemic Experts for advice.

Can Youtube certified technicians still give the tech guys advice? 😀

youtube tech.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Logdog said:

Can Youtube certified technicians still give the tech guys advice? 😀

youtube tech.jpg

That is a very different category.  I have received tech advice from Toyota Certified Master Techs that was completely wrong, when a kid on a youtube channel had the video needed to get the job done.

Pasting here for those who may not have received. Thank you to ChampCar and WGI for trying their best to have this event go ahead, but it wasn't to be and hopefully this is the sensible decision in the long term.

So I really want to be writing news about the race, something glib and humorous to get everyone excited about an upcoming event.

Sadly that is not the case. We tried, from your ChampCar staff to the good people at Watkins Glen, we tried every way we could to figure out a method to run this event and it's just not possible. Watkins finally had to make the call yesterday afternoon at 5:00pm.

We remain committed to keeping you, (our racers, our members, and our friends) safe at ChampCar events. When you factor trying to keep you safe, our staff safe, and return to racing without the track or ChampCar being in violation of State orders, we simply could not get there.

So now what? As of right now we do not have any viable options for a make-up date. So we have to simply cancel. It's small consolation, but we will have a date for next year.

What about your registrations?

Some of you have recently asked to withdraw and apply your payments to other races. If this is you, I will take care of it.

If you are currently registered for another race. Have your Team Captain notify me and I will apply your payments to that race.

If you are not registered for any other races, the most expedient thing is to issue your team Race Credits. The Race Credits can be applied to registration at any future ChampCar race.

We can also issue refunds. Please have your Team Captain contact me so we can direct the refunds to the correct accounts.

If you need me to do something else please have your Team Captain contact me.

At the moment I write this, I have 108 teams to work through, so please be patient with me. I promise I will get each of you well taken care of.

Edited by Rapido
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Yeah... we had to call it on Tuesday what with coming cross country. We were afraid it would get cancelled at the last minute, so made the call early.

So... what am I going to do with all this beer? (Yeah... not a problem.)

Edited by FlorahDorah
Quarantine brain... a few days become last week....

22 hours ago, Rich said:

What email?

All captains get an email. It's up to the captains to forward their team the information.
Normally I get the info out to members at the same time. Unfortunately I was away from computers and phones when this was announced. sorry about the late response to this.

Stinks.  The only benefit I can see (other than very real health benefits from shipping this event) is that there a slew of limited edition race that never happened shirts in the world.  Bill, how do I get one?!

• Like 2

On 5/9/2020 at 2:23 PM, FlorahDorah said:

Yeah... we had to call it on Tuesday what with coming cross country. We were afraid it would get cancelled at the last minute, so made the call early.

So... what am I going to do with all this beer? (Yeah... not a problem.)

Save it for Indy?  I think I'm flying in for that race instead of driving but I think I can figure out how to sneak a few trades into Tyler's trailer.  I'll just have to plan to finish anything I get in return in impound each night :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bbaker480 said:

Save it for Indy?  I think I'm flying in for that race instead of driving but I think I can figure out how to sneak a few trades into Tyler's trailer.  I'll just have to plan to finish anything I get in return in impound each night :)

Tsk. You know you can't 'save' craft beer. Now that other stuff....maybe (does that stuff even have a shelf life?), but I mean, who would notice? 

I will not be at Indy this year, regrettably. :(

see original post. I am on the road right now and will update images later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got an email that this event had been rescheduled, but there was a comment about teams being limited to two people.  Is that Two people TOTAL, or drivers plus two crew?

3 people per team was in my email.  75 cars max.  Also from email.  Going to be different but should be memorable   

Rebooked hotel and sorting out spares and pit gear. Getting ready to go racing. 

It seems my team captain didn't get the email with updates.  Can someone post it here so we know what was sent out?

35 minutes ago, CoachMK21 said:

It seems my team captain didn't get the email with updates.  Can someone post it here so we know what was sent out?

I hate to suggest this... but did he check his spam folder? It happens. DAMHIK. 🤦‍♀️

• Haha 1

Just an update. 
I have the general event ChampCar Short Term Operating Procedures. 
We are just awaiting answers from Watkins Glen pertaining to some questions we had. 
Just know that there is a limit of 3 Drivers/Crew for this event.
Once we get the answers I will post up the updated Supps that will give you guys a better idea of what to expect when you arrive at the Watkins Glen International.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1