Bill Strong

Official 2020 - Duel at COTA - Circuit of the Americas Double-8-Hour

added to the webpage and 1st post here to clarify the temp membership fee.

Weekend ChampCar Membership - For people in your crew that are not ChampCar Endurance Series members, we offer a temporary weekend membership for $20. Sign the waivers, hand them to security at the front gate. You will get a wristband that gets you through the gate. Your team captain will pay for your $20 Weekend Membership when he or she picks up the team registration folder. He will then give you the ChampCar event wristband.

Safety will do hot pulls.
But if your engine is blown, or your car needs to be towed on a flatbed the following will happen. Drivers of disabled cars will be transported via medical car, to comply with Covid-19 restrictions.

This means that for disabled vehicles that the AMBULANCE will be dispatched. You will take a nice ride in the ambulance to the pit lane if there are no health issues. 
If you are injured, you will be taken to the medical center.
Just be advised, that normally you would ride with the tow truck person, but under the tracks COVID-19 rules, you will have to ride in the medical vehicle. 
And be aware that the medical vehicle will be dispatched a lot more than regularly. So don't be alarmed.
There will be no additional charges for that service.

• Like 1

"Drivers will still need to report to Black Flag at pit in for on-track driving infractions. A ChampCar staff member will write out the infraction and place it on your windshield for you to read."

Really?!

Will the drivers be provided pen/paper to voice our reply/opinion and ask for clarification?  Should that be held up to the inside of the windshield for official review, or passed through the window net?  Maybe we could text it in?

Also, should we wear our N95 mask inside or outside of the bellaclava? 

3 minutes ago, Luckyontheducky said:

"Drivers will still need to report to Black Flag at pit in for on-track driving infractions. A ChampCar staff member will write out the infraction and place it on your windshield for you to read."

Really?!

Will the drivers be provided pen/paper to voice our reply/opinion and ask for clarification?  Should that be held up to the inside of the windshield for official review, or passed through the window net?  Maybe we could text it in?

Have you ever been in black flag and argued your point as to why you shoved the guy off the track? and then the official said, oh... ok... on your way then! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Luckyontheducky said:

Really?!

“Yes sir (or ma’am)” is the only acceptable response for a driver when in black flag station. I think you can convey that with a head nod and a thumbs up. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 2

Also, on the subject of black flags... it seems that PUY are so infrequently called in compared to the actual rate of PUY (obviously depends on the track), that when a PUY call is made, it’s legit. I now trust the officials over my drivers before looking at film. 

Edited by enginerd

Thats not always the case. We got passed once under yellow and they called us in. We had video to back it up. Even though we still served the black flag we were able to start the discussion and get it resolved quicker than otherwise would have been able to. 

Nobody is perfect including station workers and officials. Thats why you have the avenue for dialog. Or at least you should if you care anything about fair play. 

25 minutes ago, enginerd said:

“Yes sir (or ma’am)” is the only acceptable response for a driver when in black flag station. I think you can convey that with a head nod and a thumbs up. 

MY VOICE WILL BE HEARD!

lol

2 minutes ago, Burningham said:

Thats not always the case. We got passed once under yellow and they called us in. We had video to back it up. Even though we still served the black flag we were able to start the discussion and get it resolved quicker than otherwise would have been able to. 

Nobody is perfect including station workers and officials. Thats why you have the avenue for dialog. Or at least you should if you care anything about fair play. 

2 minutes ago, Luckyontheducky said:

MY VOICE WILL BE HEARD!

lol

57 minutes ago, Luckyontheducky said:

No one is allowed in race control.  If you have issues during the races, you will contact a pitlane marshall with your concerns. If they are busy, or not available, TEXT 812.431.7716
Be certain to include your team name, car number, pit lane stall with your question. We will get back to you as soon as we can. Be aware that race control can be a very busy place at times. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Burningham said:

Absolutely, just saying that I trust the corner worker instead of my driver until I can review the video.

• Like 1