I am getting close to being ready to get the cage and have it installed in my E46 build. I plan on using the Roll Cage Components kit with Nascar bars. Curious to what you guys would consider the appropriate cost I can expect to pay a welder to weld the kit together in the car. It's a 2 door car if it matters. I had a guy weld in my E30 cage 6 years ago and he charged me $900. I felt it was high but since it held up in a big crash at Sebring I won't complain. That guy is no longer available, so I have to find another welder. Keep in mind I'm in South GA, not Atlanta. Thanks

I pay my guy $500 to custom bend and weld it into our car but ive worked with him for 15 years so that may have something to do with the price.

2 hours ago, Gkuhn41 said:

I pay my guy $500 to custom bend and weld it into our car but ive worked with him for 15 years so that may have something to do with the price.

Your guy is subsidizing your race car habit. Be very nice to him.

Going rates are 3x that and up from what I have seen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CBraden said:

Your guy is subsidizing your race car habit. Be very nice to him.

Going rates are 3x that and up from what I have seen.

I lied its actually 500 and case of diet dew.....i may have to increase that to two cases!

18 minutes ago, TimS said:

Yep, $2000 for a simple cage is what I found.

Just for welding a pre bent cage into the stripped car?  Holy he'll!

I paid 400$ for my cage install and all I did was pay for the raw materials.

Cheap, I know, but 2k for welding up the cage seems Cray Cray to me!

• Like 1

3 or 4 shops same price.  Not a pre bent kit install but a simple 6 point cage.  Plus raw materials. $400-500 for labor sounds like a great deal.

• Like 1

I would not build a 6 point cage for less than 2000.00 if i was bending everything up. 1000.00 to install a pre-bent cage depending on how much prep was done.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TimS said:

3 or 4 shops same price.  Not a pre bent kit install but a simple 6 point cage.  Plus raw materials. $400-500 for labor sounds like a great deal.

The person asking was talking about a pre bent cage 

3 hours ago, Lethal Cliff said:

I would not build a 6 point cage for less than 2000.00 if i was bending everything up. 1000.00 to install a pre-bent cage depending on how much prep was done.

This seems normal.

The pre bent cage is a great time saver and is very cost effective. This is what is in my car as well, done by previous owner. The only part I don't like is it doesn't fit as tight to the body shell as it could have been.  I have no idea who the kit came from either.  I'm sure during the installation it could have been pushed out to the body shell  This is the trade off in buying a built race car.  Being a tall and fat old guy I need every extra mm.  Best to find a welder who doesn't mind you watching and checking how it all fits together.  And having an experienced cage builder is by far the best way to go.

• Like 1

Andy, I never tried him, but Russell Brown said he would do a cage for me one time back, you just need to take him the rules.

20 hours ago, Justin9 said:

Andy, I never tried him, but Russell Brown said he would do a cage for me one time back, you just need to take him the rules.

Thanks Justin, I found a guy from Brooks Welding that will do it. He has caged a couple of round track cars in the past. We just haven't settled on a price.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BigMoneyWasters said:

Thanks Justin, I found a guy from Brooks Welding that will do it. He has caged a couple of round track cars in the past. We just haven't settled on a price.

Don't haggle too much.  Welding in a cage involves lots of fabricators yoga.  Keep your welder happy.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2020 at 5:56 PM, BigMoneyWasters said:

Try really hard to see some of his work.  Once it’s done it’s done, and there are so many nuances to it being right.  360 welds in tough spots?  Good heat and penetration?  If things go sour you can’t always just fix everything... then you’re left with a ruined kit and starting all over again.  

My lesson learned and a little venting- 

I had a miatacage kit installed here in Texas by a well known and respected racer and prep shop.  He’s put many cages in and had spec miatas everywhere....can’t go wrong.  Went to pick it up and was greeted by welds that didn’t even belong in a sweaty small town muffler shop. 360 welds?  NOPE.  Wire sticking out of welds?  YEP.  Porosity everywhere?  YEP.  Horrified.  Slag everywhere.  Literally looked like it was a kids first try with a 110v flux core wire welder running on a weak generator and 100ft of extension cord.  On a windy day.  Fortunately 5 minutes was spent to get placement right, eh?  I guess the prep shop ain’t what it used to be. 

I spoke with the guy, expressed my concerns...he sorta bowed up....”na it’s fine, I’m an SCCA inspector myself”.  Yeah, didn’t get anywhere there.  Browsing around the grounds a bit more and looking at his other very seasoned cars... they didn’t look that great either. Darn, missed that red flag.  In short, he wasn’t concerned of my concern, I got what I got, don’t worry bout it...”It’ll pass tech”.  With that kinda response, you won’t find a solution to the issue there and just need to move on.  I’ll share the identity if messaged. 

Fortunately skilled and knowledgeable hands righted the ship, but it was nearly a total loss.  Also cost me way more than to just have the more expensive shops do it right the first time. 

Point is, a lot of people can “do it”.  Even a recommended racer or shop can at best waste your money, and at worst provide a product that does not protect you. It needs to be right. Take no chances. 

• Like 1