The Roebling Road Race Report

Guest ChumpCar

Guest ChumpCar

Greetings, Chumps!

Welcome to the first ChumpCar race of the 2011 season... Roebling Road's January Junkfest!

Today is an open practice day at the track. B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l weather today... 62 degrees, 100% sunshine (not a cloud in the sky) and a warm breeze blowing from the west. Seventeen (17) cars practiced today and everyone is reporting that the track is in great shape.

Two mechanical issues during practice... a Ford Probe lost a piston (well, they found it... in the bottom of the oil pan) --- and a Chevy Malibu lost a clutch (currently in repair). Other than that, no issues. With the loss of the Probe, we're looking to start 36 cars tomorrow.

The field is a great mix: three (3) Miatas; four (4) Z-cars; three (3) Camaro/Trans-Ams; a couple of Fieros... and, Blitzen Benz is here.

More team reports tomorrow, once the race starts. This is just a warm-up for my fingers after having 2 months off!

Mike Chisek, ChumpCar's Eastern Regional Director, is calling the race this weekend and his entire team is working together perfectly to ensure a great event. Derrick (on Timing & Scoring) has the system up and operating already; Don (Tech & Safety) is busy teching cars; and, Disa is handling Registration like a pro. Even Ms. Diva (Cathy McCause) is helping out at gear check! Great crew! Great track! It's going to be a great event!

It's 4:30pm right now and the sun is starting to dip a little in the West. T-shirts are starting to give-way to sweat-shirts. The checker flag just came out, ending today's practice session... so the beer and wine will be flowing soon.

Okay! Here we go! It's 2011 and it's ChumpCar!

John

Guest Taylorcraftbc65

Greetings, Chumps!

Welcome to the first ChumpCar race of the 2011 season... Roebling Road's January Junkfest!

Today is an open practice day at the track. B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l weather today... 62 degrees, 100% sunshine (not a cloud in the sky) and a warm breeze blowing from the west. Seventeen (17) cars practiced today and everyone is reporting that the track is in great shape.

Two mechanical issues during practice... a Ford Probe lost a piston (well, they found it... in the bottom of the oil pan) --- and a Chevy Malibu lost a clutch (currently in repair). Other than that, no issues. With the loss of the Probe, we're looking to start 36 cars tomorrow.

The field is a great mix: three (3) Miatas; four (4) Z-cars; three (3) Camaro/Trans-Ams; a couple of Fieros... and, Blitzen Benz is here.

More team reports tomorrow, once the race starts. This is just a warm-up for my fingers after having 2 months off!

Mike Chisek, ChumpCar's Eastern Regional Director, is calling the race this weekend and his entire team is working together perfectly to ensure a great event. Derrick (on Timing & Scoring) has the system up and operating already; Don (Tech & Safety) is busy teching cars; and, Disa is handling Registration like a pro. Even Ms. Diva (Cathy McCause) is helping out at gear check! Great crew! Great track! It's going to be a great event!

It's 4:30pm right now and the sun is starting to dip a little in the West. T-shirts are starting to give-way to sweat-shirts. The checker flag just came out, ending today's practice session... so the beer and wine will be flowing soon.

Okay! Here we go! It's 2011 and it's ChumpCar!

John

THANKS for reporting on the events for those of us that can't be there.

Guest Taylorcraftbc65

At the noon lunch break... with all bonus and penalty laps included...

* #8 GFY Motorsports (*) - 89 laps

* #81 Turn 1 Trailer Trash (Miata) - 88 laps (Yes, that is my old Miata #31!)

* #30 Kentucky Spirits (Nissan Z) - 88 laps

* #41 MealTime Racing (Honda Civic) - 87 laps

* #2 Blitzen Benz (Mercedes) - 86 laps

* #32 Mid-Life Crisis (*) - 86 laps

* #17 Gotham City Racing (Fiero) - 84 laps

* #40 Flying Tigers (Miata) - 84 laps

* #31 Organ Donors/Protech (VW Rabbit) - 84 laps

* #71 One Piece at a Time (Chevy Impala) - 82 laps

* #1 Sharks (Miata) - 82 laps

* #52 Amorephobe Racing - 80 laps

* #28 Rust Riders (260Z) - 79 laps

* #11 Rusty Bucket Racing (*) - 79 laps

* #7 Thunder Chicken Racing (*) - 78 laps

* #74 ChumpChange (*) - 77 laps

* #44 Turbo Sloth (Mazda MX) - 74 laps

* #37 Intervention Motorsports (*) - 71 laps

* #55 Team Super Sentra (Nissan) - 71 laps

* #171 Organ Donor 2 (VW Rabbit) - 69 laps

* #21 Shockers Racing (*) - 67 laps

* #77 RamRod Racing (Camaro) - 62 laps

* #90 Swede Lil Pigs (Saab) - 59 laps

* #67 Team Saab Story (Nissan) - 58 laps

* #43 Killer Penguins (*) - 51 laps

* #5 Catch Me If You Can (Integra) - 40 laps

... and there are a few others but I've gotta get back to Pit Lane.

More to follow.

John

A CHEVY IMPALLA CURRENTLY RUNNING TENTH!?!?!?!? Now I feel MUCH better about building up my

"Tank" of a Jeep XJ!!! Brie

Guest Taylorcraftbc65

Is there anywhere, anyway that I can see a photo of the "one piece at a time" Impala? I would post it on my toolbox for the times when I remember someone telling me that the XJ doesn't stand a chance. Having a great time running a "middle of the pack" car is absolutely FINE with me. I hope that one of the team members sees this post. Brie

Guest Taylorcraftbc65

At 2:30pm (5 hours into the 7-hour enduro), here's your top 10 teams:

#8 @ 188 laps

#41 @ 184 laps

#81 @ 179 laps

#30 @ 176 laps

#2 @ 174 laps

#40 @ 172 laps

#71 @ 171 laps

#28 @ 171 laps

#7 @ 170 laps

#17 @ 168 laps

AND THE "LEAD SLED" IMPALA IS MOVING UP!! This is outragous, I love it. The guys in the Miatas, Z's, and Hondas BEHIND THEM must be SOOOO ashamed. When I FINALLY get my XJ built, I can see who I'm going to be gunning for. Brie

Wish I could be there at Roebling Road, but I will be partying this evening with Tubby Butterman and other Minnesota Chumps.

Also picking up my "new" car, my Dream Car. Yes, it's a Saab. No, it won't become a crap can racer. Details and photos soon.

Have fun in Georgia!

• Like 1

Guest Taylorcraftbc65

Hey, Cheesey! My mistake... it's an 1985 Chevy Malibu... not that it matters. It's still an amazing team and car that's doing very, very well. This car disintegrated its clutch yesterday during practice. The team took it home and replaced the clutch last night. Great group of Chumps. That you're aiming for them is a lofty goal, my dear! These Chumps know their stuff! I'd suggest you start by aiming to keep up with the #11 1983 Yugo. :D

John

Hey John, are there any photos of the malibu on the site? As for the cars that I will be gunning for, if the limiting factor is truly the XJ platform, then it's just something that I will have to live with, I am building a 14,000 square foot hangerhome with Tee, plus maintaining two Real" airplanes, two experimentals, and four ultralights. There would not BE a chumpcar in my life if I didn't already HAVE this one and a Ford Bronco to choose from.

As for my driving skills, back in the seventies, I used to run the fastest 1/3 mile dirt track in the world in a Sportsman, I won't know how much I have forgotten, till I slip behind the wheel at Hallett this year, but I think that I will be able to hold my own.

THE HEAD CHEESE at "Team Cheesey" (HEY, You named us), Brie

Attrition (due to mechanical issues) has been within the "norm" -- that being 20%-30% -- and most of those have been repairable, with the cars returning to the course. .... the 240Sx #48 (ventilated block)....Not bad for the first race of the season. I expected a lot worse.

Crap... the SER was my old street car. How long did it last?

One of the three (3) Pontiac Fiero's in the race just left 7.291 quarts of oil from the entry into T9 down the front straight and on the pit lane entry. Yuuuuuck! We debated on a red flag to clean it up; however, the Chumps know that it's there and they're all staying clear of it. Also, the flag team out out an oil/debris flag for two laps. With only 45 minutes left in the race, I'd hate to put a red out right now... it's just un-American! (Or, un-Canadian! eh?)

what you dont want to be like nascar and put out a black flag so you can have an "exciting" green/white/checkered dash to the finish? :lol:

(thank you)