Rapido

2020 ChampCar iRacing Series: Schedule

Happy New Year to everyone, and welcome to the 2020 ChampCar iRacing Series. We experienced another good year of growth in 2019, and entering our third year we are excited to continue serving the ChampCar community and attracting new membership to real life endurance racing. There have been a few changes made to the format of the series for 2020, all of which are detailed below. The most important change is the consolidation of the two previous divisions into one overall championship. There are still two grand prizes on offer (a race entry to a CCES round in 2021); one will be awarded to the overall championship winner, and the other to a competitor who has competed in the series throughout the year. This means that even if you're not running at the front every week, a consistent participation effort can still lead to a big prize! 

Season

There will be 16 rounds in the 2020 CCiS season, designed to match real world CCES calendar as closely as possible using tracks available on iRacing. Each round will consist of one practice round (for which no points are awarded) and one official round. Sessions will be 4 hours in length, starting at 7pm (Eastern) on Wednesday evenings. These will consist of 2 hours of open practice, 1 hour of open qualifying (starting at 9pm ET), and a one hour race (starting at 10pm ET). Championship rounds will have an License/Safety requirement of D/2.0. The calendar for the championship racess can be seen below, the practice races for each round will take place one week prior. Attached to this post is a one page printout with all relevant dates. All championship rounds will be broadcast live on YouTube by the HJBC (link at bottom).

image.png.bf660d8b7be84a93302a61d3e411504d.png

Cars

As you can see from the above schedule, we are expanding the 2020 schedule to include three different cars. There are 3 base-content vehicles within iRacing that match cars found on the current CCES VPI list; the Mazda Miata NC Cup, the Pontiac Solstice, and the Street Stock (analogous to a D class ChampCar like a Camaro or Mustang). Each round will feature one of these cars, on a track that might best suit their characteristics. They will use a fixed setup with limited fuel that will mean a pit stop will be necessary to complete the full race distance. All specific details will be confirmed in a forum post prior to each round.

Scoring and Prizes

The championship points format is unchanged from 2019, 50-46-42-39-36-34-32-31….. down to 1pt for 38th. There will be 4 drop weeks for the 2020 season, meaning that each drivers best 12 points scores will count towards their championship points total. To be eligible for points at each round, you must complete more than 50% of the total race distance (over half the total number of laps as completed by the round winner). There are no bonus points for pole position or fastest lap. 

The overall championship winner will receive CCES entry or driver credit up to $1500 in value, to be redeemed in the 2021 CCES season. Second and Third overall will receive coveted CCES trophies, similar to those received by podium finishers at a real event. A second prize of up to $1500 credit will be awarded to one driver who completes the series participation requirement. To meet this requirement, drivers must complete over 50% race distance in 12 or more rounds of the 2020 season. All drivers who have met this requirement at the end of the season will be placed in a pool and the winner of the prize will be randomly selected by the CCES BoD.

How to Enter

To enter the 2020 CCiS, you must have an active iRacing subscription, and apply to the league using the link below. Once accepted into the league, upcoming scheduled sessions will show up under the "League Sessions" tab of the iRacing homepage. Registration for each race session is on a first-come, first-served basis. Please also join the league Discord server (also linked below) for banter during race sessions and for easy communication to all league members.

Please let me know if there are any more questions regarding the season, and I look forward to seeing plenty of racers on the grid for Round 1.

Useful Links

ChampCar iRacing Series - League Application

Discord Server

2020 ChampCar iRacing Series schedule

Guide to iRacing and Hardware

How to create your own iRacing paints

iRacing Tips and Resources

2020CCiS.pdf

Edited by Rapido
  • Like 10

HA!  This is gonna be crazy!!  Kinda wish the first race was the slowtice.  The Street stock is gonna be entertaining for sure.  My wife is gonna kill me tho.

• Like 1

Explain to your family that it's a minimum of 22 hours commitment over one year for the chance to win $1500 of free racing. That's a great payoff!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Rapido said:

Explain to your family that it's a minimum of 22 hours commitment over one year for the chance to win $1500 of free racing. That's a great payoff!

She's still nagging me about where this trophy is I talked so much about.....Im looking at you @Doc

I'll be joining in this season (hopefully) if school and work doesn't get in the way. I'm going to have to miss 2-3 races this summer because of my Marine OCS though unfortunately. Looks like a fun season!

I can test and race in iracing now.  I want to try it out again this year with champcar, maybe.  I am not excited about the car choices though so that might make me not do it.  How can I test if the beta iu thing is going to work? What is the discord server? 

Edited by MR2 Biohazard

Car choices are free content and more varied than last season, and true to a ChampCar-esque experience. I recommend the McLaren GT3 car if you want to practice in a sketchy mid-engined sports car though.

Beta UI is launched from the homepage, but you shouldn't necessarily need to use it - league sessions will show up on the regular user page under "League Sessions". 

Discord link is in the post at the top, and in all pre-round posts. 

Edited by Rapido

9 hours ago, Rapido said:

Car choices are free content and more varied than last season, and true to a ChampCar-esque experience. I recommend the McLaren GT3 car if you want to practice in a sketchy mid-engined sports car though.

Beta UI is launched from the homepage, but you shouldn't necessarily need to use it - league sessions will show up on the regular user page under "League Sessions". 

Discord link is in the post at the top, and in all pre-round posts. 

What is discord ? 

Discord is a proprietary freeware VoIP application and digital distribution platform designed for video gaming communities, that specializes in text, image, video and audio communication between users in a chat channel. Discord runs on Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and in web browsers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discord_(software)

During races there are quite a few people in the voice channel so you can chat during the race. It's much better than the in Sim voice chat and offers a place for people to chat via voice or via the text chat. There are also post race interviews for the broadcast that happen in the voice chat if you finish on the podium.

@Hugh Jass Will ask on Discord too, but do you guys have a set up in mind for the street stock that you can post? Have never run this car on road courses.  Thanks!

• Like 1

I have a surround speaker setup I like.  Does anyone just us a headset mic for this that is hooked up to a button on the steering wheel? If yes can you recommend one please?

@Gordo - it's not confirmed yet, but I imagine it will be a slightly modified form of the current road baseline setup so that it's softer and more forgiving. It's a blast on road courses with bias-ply tires and V8 power.

@MR2 Biohazard - I use a HyperX headset with a Push-to-talk button on the steering wheel. You could also get a desk USB mic (like an AT2020) and map that to a PTT button as well.

1 hour ago, Rapido said:

@Gordo - it's not confirmed yet, but I imagine it will be a slightly modified form of the current road baseline setup so that it's softer and more forgiving. It's a blast on road courses with bias-ply tires and V8 power.

Yea, me and Roddy messed around at Daytona with the road setup...it liked to do what I call...Turtle a lot.  3.15 gears please!!!

• Haha 1