2020 ChampCar iRacing Series: Round 1, Road Atlanta - 1/15/2020, 1/22/2020

Rapido

Hello everyone, and welcome to the first round of the 2020 ChampCar iRacing Series. As with the real world CCES, we are kicking off the year in Georgia at Road Atlanta, racing the faithful Miata NC that we used throughout the 2019 season. The weather will be generated in accordance with the January calendar, so I would expect the track to be cool/grippy, but it could get a bit dark towards the end of the race. A pit stop will be required to finish the race, and, as ever, we hope to see clean and close racing throughout the field.

Session Details

• Practice Round: Wednesday, 15-January-2020
  • Championship Round: Wednesday, 22-January-2020
  • Practice Start: 7:00pm ET
  • Qualifying Start: 9:00pm ET
  • Race Start: 10:00pm ET
  • Cars: Maxda MX-5 Cup - 2015
  • Track: Road Atlanta - Fuill Course
  • In-Sim Session Date: Wednesday, 22-January-2020
  • In-Sim Session Start Time: 2:00pm
  • In-Sim Time Multiplier: 1x
  • Weather: Auto-Generated
  • Setup: Fixed, iRacing Baseline with 4.2g Fuel
  • Fast Repairs: 1
  • License Requirements: Practice Rounds (None), Championship Round (>D2.0)

Useful Links

ChampCar iRacing Series - League Application

Discord Server

2020 ChampCar iRacing Series schedule

Guide to iRacing and Hardware

How to create your own iRacing paints

iRacing Tips and Resources

• Like 3

A reminder that there is an iRacing license/safety rating requirement of D/2.0 for the race on Wednesday. Seen some recent league entries from keen newcomers who don't meet this requirement yet, and wanted to reiterate this in case of any disappointment on the day. Acquiring the D license requires 10 races in the Rookie MX-5 series, in order to acquaint new drivers with the order of operations in iRacing races, and to iron out any issues with hardware or setup. Any questions, please let me know, and good luck!

I would like to add that if you rack up too many incidents in these early races it will take you more than 10 races to get your D license. Concentrate on running clean races and you will be fine. Look forward to seeing everyone again on Wednesday. 

• Like 2

Hello racers!
As in previous seasons, Team Hugh Jass will be producing live coverage of championship races. These are great to share with friends, post to team social media, and also watch back after the race. 

Our coverage begins before the race at 9.50PM ET. Below you can find the YouTube link for the upcoming broadcast. 

Edited by David Haines
I missed a world lol
  • Like 3

Congratulations to DJ Alessandrini, off to the perfect start in ChampCar iRacing Series 2020! 🏁
Pole, most laps lead, and the win puts him closer to a free entry in a ChampCar Endurance Series race.

🥇 DJ Alessandrini
🥈 John D Allen
🥉 Alex Albert

Additionally, 31 drivers completed atleast 50% race distance and are on their way to being in the draw for the 2nd free entry up for grabs!
Remember, you need to complete at least 12 of the 16 rounds to go in the draw, so it's not too late to drag your teammates in and increase the chances of getting your team a free entry for next year. 

photo_n00753_s1 125 [smooth=1.0] 1920x1080.png

• Thanks 1

What I found odd, was that taking 4.2g of fuel was enough to get through a 1hr solo test session. During the race I ran out of fuel on the last lap. I figured that with the help of some drafting, 4.2g would've been plenty. Fortunately, it only cost me 2 spots.

It's possible that the weather could have affected the test consumption vs race session consumption. As our race was at dusk, a cooler/grippier track can translate to being on the throttle for longer and therefore greater fuel consumption. I recommend a 3rd party program like Crew Chief or Joel Real Timing that can provide real-time fuel consumption and predict the amount to be added to make the end of the race. Even with those though, I like to build in 1 lap of buffer.

@cowboys647 - I don't have plans to introduce an incident limit at this point, however, if a competitor can be seen to be gaining a persistent advantage by abusing the track limits then this can be brought up to me for review/penalty in particularly egregious cases. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1