Jump to content

Want to help @ Road America 4/18-4/19


Recommended Posts

I’m looking to potentially build a car and team to race in 2021, and I (and possibly my brother) would like to help out a team for the Road America race April 18-19. I was a mechanic in the army, and currently work in a body shop. I’m willing to help with whatever in exchange for being able to pick your brains a little bit when time allows. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you don't have luck hooking up to help a team, consider volunteering as a pit marshal.  Our team will be doing it for like the 5th or 6th time at this event.  It gives you the chance to observe every team and see little things teams in the pits that separate the top from the bottom, plus you can either get $$ or race credits.

 

If you end up as a volunteer hit us up!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, hotchkis23 said:

If you don't have luck hooking up to help a team, consider volunteering as a pit marshal.  Our team will be doing it for like the 5th or 6th time at this event.  It gives you the chance to observe every team and see little things teams in the pits that separate the top from the bottom, plus you can either get $$ or race credits.

 

If you end up as a volunteer hit us up!

 
Good to know, thanks! When is cutoff for signing up to volunteer?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Levi said:

 
Good to know, thanks! When is cutoff for signing up to volunteer?

After the event is done Sunday haha.  I say that because teams have broken on Saturday and volunteered on Sunday.  It is a long pit lane so the more the merrier!  Seriously, just send an email off to Mike Morisson, I believe he is the event director for this one and his email is on the main Champ site. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Levi said:

Live in Chippewa Falls, WI (west central). Not dead set on running it, but I have a 93 VW Corrado VR6. Should be decent power to weight, but I’m not sure if they’re known for their reliability?

There is a Masaratti team and Camaro team up there.  What happens at the track is important, but not nearly as important as what happens before getting to the track.

 

What are your goals?  Learn to drive?  Have fun?  Win?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

There is a Masaratti team and Camaro team up there.  What happens at the track is important, but not nearly as important as what happens before getting to the track.

 

What are your goals?  Learn to drive?  Have fun?  Win?


Any idea of any names on either of those two teams?

 

We’re mainly looking to have fun, challenge ourselves, and spend some time with like minded individuals. Being competitive would be great, but we accept that it is probably not realistic for a beginner team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Levi said:


Any idea of any names on either of those two teams?

 

We’re mainly looking to have fun, challenge ourselves, and spend some time with like minded individuals. Being competitive would be great, but we accept that it is probably not realistic for a beginner team.

C&S is the Camaro team.  Not sure on the Masaratti but I'll check.  If it's for fun, I'd say volunteer for CCES and talk to as many teams as you can while your there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2020 at 11:04 PM, LuckyKid said:

C&S is the Camaro team.  Not sure on the Masaratti but I'll check.  If it's for fun, I'd say volunteer for CCES and talk to as many teams as you can while your there.


Dead pedal racing:
https://www.facebook.com/deadpedalracing/

Team captain is Eric Peterson

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2020 at 5:52 PM, Levi said:

Haha... well alright then! In your experience, what would lead to better insight; helping out a team or working as a pit marshal?

It depends what you are looking for.  Experiencing the entire event and being able to see everyone and everything, or having an intimate experience with one team and picking their brains.  I personally feel volunteering is the best way to understand the operations side during an event, while helping a team can give you an idea of what it will be like for your team at one event.  The nice thing volunteer wise though is most teams seem to be way more open to talking to you if you have the orange vest on and ask them questions as opposed to the random guy in normal clothes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

We are Clueless Racing and racing an Acura Integra.  We are pretty well covered with crew but feel free to hang out and ask any questions you want.  If you catch my dad, assume all the answers are lies, if you catch me (the only guy on our team under 50) I will give you the straight story.  We have very different philosophies on information exchange.  Also, we tend to have a lot of water, monster, and for some odd reason diet dr. pepper cherry.  So if you get thirsty, there's always that.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Feel free to stop by Two Brothers pits as well, or make the road trip to my house near Green Bay and witness the mess I’ve created in my garage!

 

I would suggest doing both on separate weekends honestly.

 

Marshaling is an awesome way to understand how Champcar runs its races and how they interact with competitors. Also allows you the opportunity to see what you want to do in the pits, what you like about setting up a pit box, strategy and what not.

 

Helping out a team is a great way to see the prep work, communication (or in our case a lack of), internal challenges Stuff like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...