Bill Strong

BCCR 9.14.1 Noise Limit

2 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Today they sound all muffled. It's weird

Oh Bill if I try to explain this your in trouble, it's called high frequency damage to your ears from all the loud stuff and race cars :-)

Started to say loud sh... but then changed it to be clean.

Edited by 55mini
spelling

5 minutes ago, 55mini said:

Oh Bill if I try to explain this your in trouble, it's called high frequency damage to your ears from all the loud stuff and race cars ūüôā

Started to say loud sh... but then changed it to be clean.

Like that time I lit up the Westfield ln the trailer with open headers cuz I knew it’d sound cool?   Huh whats that?   It did sound cool by the way 

• Like 1

Is the measurement going to be in place for the Sonoma Championships on the Friday test?

Not from an enforcement perspective, but from a: This is a new(ly enforced)¬†thing; can we get measurements during the Friday test to determine whether or not we need to add more muffler for the race weekend.¬† (Ideally in this scenario, it would also not be two strikes and you're out on the Friday when we're trying to make sure we're compliant ūüôā

Thanks!

So what ya'll are saying is when you start or run your car you cannot tell if its loud . Well try this muffle that pig until you think its quiet . See there fixed it for you EZ , and  you are welcome.

Sonoma has it built in at the track. I forget where the mics are.  

A quick Google say...

Omnidirectional microphone on a stand at the end of the drag strip. You can see it if you look across pit lane from the track entrance next to the winner's circle. It basically picks up sound from both the exit of turn 10 and turn 12 on the front straight, coincidently 2 places you would rather not lift....

29 minutes ago, Ray Franck said:

So what ya'll are saying is when you start or run your car you cannot tell if its loud . Well try this muffle that pig until you think its quiet . See there fixed it for you EZ , and  you are welcome.

You're aware this is racing right?

We will push to the limits of everything.

Your comment is exactly 0% helpful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just muffle it, kid! And pull yer pants up!

E Z P Z!

In all seriousness. Mufflers are heavy. Heavy is bad on a racecar. This series is becoming very competitive so people will start to worry about a couple of lbs here and there. This is why people want clarification.

So yes, I all of the sudden want a testing procedure because you all of the sudden want to start enforcing this rule. 

As written there are too many variables that would make the same car pass on on one day, on one track and fail the next on another with the same exhaust. 

My brain hurts from this. I don't know how to more clearly convey the issue so I will leave it as is.

Edited by KoneKillah
  • Like 2

So, as I read the rule, it just says noise limit.....

Is there a certain frequency range the series is targeting?  Why do you ask, because our intake at 8-10khz is a lot louder than our exhaust at certain rpms.....

Also, overall dba vs. direct dba can be skewed by other elements, wind, reflectivity, absorption,  track design, and lastly people that think they know it all.....

Also, when you measure cars, will you make sure that they are only measured at times when they are separate from other cars?

Will you make sure they are at areas where cars are under hard/full acceleration?

Are you at least using a meter that is respected in the industry such as: NTI?

Yes, I also do this for a living.....

• Like 3

You guys are really smart..

Lol

What it says in ten rule book is what we are doing. Man, you guys are pulling the same shit i used to do all the time to condren.  It's awesome...

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Lol

What it says in ten rule book is what we are doing. Man, you guys are pulling the same poop i used to do all the time to condren.  It's awesome...

Serious question.  Can you at least tell us what scale you are intending to use with the champcar provided equipment?  Or, can you give us a model number of the equipment?

When I worked with the safety department we had good equipment for this sort of thing.  However, the scale used made a big difference in the recorded value.

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Lol

What it says in ten rule book is what we are doing. Man, you guys are pulling the same poop i used to do all the time to condren.  It's awesome...

I really enjoyed those days, i got a lot of laughs out of your posts back then!

5 hours ago, Ray Franck said:

Come on dude, you're on the technical committee, this is not helpful.  We're trying to work with you here, sideways comments like this are a waste of everyones' time, I'd rather you just didn't reply to me at all.

It's pretty simple really: We have a Laguna muffler and our regular exhaust.

We ran the regular exhaust at the 2017 Sonoma ChumpCar event (and it also ran on a previous car) and had no problems.  But because ChumpCar has not been consistent, we know only that we had no problems on that day, whether the 96db limit or the track 102db limit was used, who knows.  (This is not a complaint, just explaining we have no idea where we are.)

The Laguna muffler is quiet to the point you literally cannot hear the car on the rev limiter in a Stilo helmet (built-in ear cups).  But at this extreme it's coming at the cost of flow restriction.  We'd also rather save the exhaust's useful sound deadening hours for Laguna events since we're local to the track.

We just need to know whether the muffler that has been used many times before is in spec or not.  A spec that has not been meaningfully published or defined.  All I'm looking for is a simple answer: Will the sound readings be published on Friday so that we can figure out whether we need to swap or not?  Better, will you be meatballing teams that fail on Friday so they can avoid race-day swaps?

Edited by pjt

7 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Serious question.  Can you at least tell us what scale you are intending to use with the champcar provided equipment?  Or, can you give us a model number of the equipment?

When I worked with the safety department we had good equipment for this sort of thing.  However, the scale used made a big difference in the recorded value.

Thanks!

No clue what you are talking about. I put a link to the unit I am using in another post earlier.  I press a button, and it gives me a number. That's it.  Easy peasy.

45 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

No clue

I wonder if there are any club members that could help out with some education and training.    Learning is good.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

I wonder if there are any club members that could help out with some education and training.    Learning is good.  

Go for it, dude. They don't seem willing to learn. 

9 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

What it says in ten rule book is what we are doing. 

What we're trying to say is this isn't clear enough. 

Edited by KoneKillah

3 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

No clue what you are talking about. I put a link to the unit I am using in another post earlier.  I press a button, and it gives me a number. That's it.  Easy peasy.

Oh cool.  I missed the link.  Thanks!

It's dBA. +/- 1.5 dB.

It's only 20$.  If that is what champcar is using, should be affordable enough to get one to test.

Just rip up and down the street or driveway (or do a burnout) with the meter nearby.  Haha.

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 3

This is a rule I see them enforcing much the same way AMP and NCM enforce it for the most part. If you go over the limit, you will have to fix on your next pit stop. If it’s better, but still not low enough then you will get one more shot to fix it before you’re parked.

Also, I know at AMP the last few years they have taken their time to make sure that they make sure that a car is tested numerous times before they call it on black flag. I see the same happening at the rest of our races. Do we have a sound enforcement official that will be standing with his/her meter at the same spot for the entire race? No. Hell our Decal Enforcement Official even slacks on the job. 

You guys are taking this way too serious. If you think your car is too loud, fix it and I’d recommend each team have the silencers ready to throw in for your sized exhaust at the ready.

• Like 4

Pssshhh. Our Miata is ready to echo a pleasing note through the COTA grandstands like 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Oh cool.  I missed the link.  Thanks!

It's dBA. +/- 1.5 dB.

It's only 20$.  If that is what champcar is using, should be affordable enough to get one to test.

Just rip up and down the street or driveway (or do a burnout) with the meter nearby.  Haha.

I can't wait for DB drag racing on pit bikes after practice :)

Bring it with you to WGI, I want to test the Subaru too, but I think it's going to be off the scale.

Edited by bbaker480
braap

On 1/22/2020 at 9:19 AM, jakks said:

Do we have a sound enforcement official that will be standing with his/her meter at the same spot for the entire race? No. Hell our Decal Enforcement Official even slacks on the job. 

Laser focus.

On you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tommytipover said:

LOL @jakks is going to have 869 sound readings at the next event...

That’s fine. We are under the limit, but are still taking the car to exhaust shop to get quieter. Something about HEARING ON THE RADIO!!!!

Edit: the sound official might actually be Jackie(wife) at pit out.... no telling how many times she’ll bring us in....

Edited by jakks
  • Haha 2

On 1/22/2020 at 1:17 PM, bbaker480 said:

I can't wait for DB drag racing on pit bikes after practice :)

Bring it with you to WGI, I want to test the Subaru too, but I think it's going to be off the scale.

This comment reminded me of the guy lapping the WGI paddock on his clapped out golf cart last year. That was the loudest vehicle I heard at any event I attended last year.  

I am not expecting enforcement for paddock carts but if the dude from WGI with the PoS tan colored golf cart is reading this, it would be super cool if you added muffler for this year.