Jump to content

Lighting - 9.9.2 will be enforced


Bill Strong
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Administrators

9.9.2.
For Night-time Events: All cars must be equipped with suitable headlights. Headlights may be OEM or aftermarket. Cars having more than four (4) light sources mounted on the car, whether working or wired for use, will be required to COMPLETELY REMOVE all lights above the count of four (4).

 

For 2019 we saw cars at night races with more than 4 lighting devices installed. 
Even if the excess lighting were unplugged, that would be an unfair advantage. So that's why the lamps/reflectors have to be physically removed. 
Marker/parking lamps will most likely not count, unless your orange lamp has 2 million candle power. 
Example, you mounted 4 LED lamps on your bumper or hood, but you kept the stock headlights in place. Low beam and high beams. thats an additional 4 lamps. those must be removed.

If you have the high beam, and low beam in place, adding cornering lamps will be over the 9.9.2. limit of 4 light sources. 

We started black flagging teams at the 2019 races, and yes it affected the outcome of the races.
 

Just a warning since we have a bunch of night races coming up, and tech, and race officials will be watching. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I know this is not the place to ask, but I will anyway...

 

Do LED bars count as one light even though they are multiple elements which create multiple "light sources"?

 

Personally, you can put as many OE lights on the car and still not create the glare issues that a single poorly mounted/aimed LED bar creates.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MMiskoe said:

So I know this is not the place to ask, but I will anyway...

 

Do LED bars count as one light even though they are multiple elements which create multiple "light sources"?

 

Personally, you can put as many OE lights on the car and still not create the glare issues that a single poorly mounted/aimed LED bar creates.

 

 

This definitely needs clarification!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
1 hour ago, LuckyKid said:

Colored LED strips for identification do not count as a light source, correct?

 

 

as long as they are on the side, and are not the same color as emergency vehicle lighting, and do not flash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, MMiskoe said:

So I know this is not the place to ask, but I will anyway...

 

Do LED bars count as one light even though they are multiple elements which create multiple "light sources"?

 

Personally, you can put as many OE lights on the car and still not create the glare issues that a single poorly mounted/aimed LED bar creates.

To the best of my knowledge if we are sticking to the rules the Diode Dynamics bars are the only ones that fit within the lumen limits CCES has stated in the rule book.  The China light bars all inflate their numbers even though I believe in most cases they put out LESS light and are nowhere near as focused and useful.  I worked Nelson Ledges last year and I stood and looked directly at several cars that did NOT cause issues, and a few that did.  Those were all cars that had Chineseium lights bolted to the hood.  

 

HID still trumps LED bars, but they are hard to package on most of our cars, and expensive.  If you can retrofit a quality projector into your existing lights I suggest that route, but DD bars are a close second.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To that point, will the subsections of 9.9.2 regarding max Lumens per light source/type also be being more rigorously enforced? I remember turning up to our first race with lights in compliance to the rule book and quickly discovering they were a) inadequate and b) vastly outshone by every other car.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rapido said:

To that point, will the subsections of 9.9.2 regarding max Lumens per light source/type also be being more rigorously enforced? I remember turning up to our first race with lights in compliance to the rule book and quickly discovering they were a) inadequate and b) vastly outshone by every other car.

 

My guess is that you were using light bars?

 

My understanding is that max lumens are measured close to the light source.  HID and LED projectors/drive lamps do a much better job of projecting the light to much further distances than LED light bars.  Light bars are more designed for offroading at relatively low speeds to ours and for blinding people while you tailgate them in your bro-dozer.

Look at the light output plots on Hella's website to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.  http://www.myhellalights.com/

The FF200's are expensive but are the best lights I've driven used in a night race.  They are also the same lights used on the Corvette C7.R...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Scribe said:

 

My guess is that you were using light bars?

 

My understanding is that max lumens are measured close to the light source.  HID and LED projectors/drive lamps do a much better job of projecting the light to much further distances than LED light bars.  Light bars are more designed for offroading at relatively low speeds to ours and for blinding people while you tailgate them in your bro-dozer.

Look at the light output plots on Hella's website to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.  http://www.myhellalights.com/

The FF200's are expensive but are the best lights I've driven used in a night race.  They are also the same lights used on the Corvette C7.R...

That's what I have.  They were awesome at Nelson in 2018 even with all the fog rolling in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2020 at 7:15 AM, Rapido said:

To that point, will the subsections of 9.9.2 regarding max Lumens per light source/type also be being more rigorously enforced? I remember turning up to our first race with lights in compliance to the rule book and quickly discovering they were a) inadequate and b) vastly outshone by every other car.

 

Never has and its too hard to enforce. I think you would have to be on the extreme side of things to get called out for it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...