Question regarding location of kill switch(es)

ProjectMayhem

Rules state switch mounted in the center of the dash

3.14.1. All cars must have a racing-type master electrical kill switch mounted in the center of the dash area of the car (roll cage dash bar) or center console area of the cockpit, accessible to and by the driver while he/she is secured in the driving seat by all seat belts and harnesses. The control or key for this switch should be red and the OFF position should be clearly indicated. Both the main battery circuit and the ignition circuit must be interrupted by the kill switch. All electrical cut-off switches shall be identified by the international lightning bolt symbol. Decals available at ChampCar Tech Inspection.

Would I be able to get away with having 2 switches in series, one mounted at either end of the dash panel? Idea being the switch mounted on the left end of the dashboard would be the main switch typically operated by the driver. In the event of an accident, safety crews would have a switch on either side of the car they could use to kill the car. Being at the end of the dash on either side, it would not require a lot of your body to go in to the car versus having to reach for a centrally mounted switch.

I am considering doing the same with the T-handle for the fire bottle. Just have a switch and a handle next to each other on either side of the car.

Thoughts?

Edited by ProjectMayhem

36 minutes ago, ProjectMayhem said:

Rules state switch mounted in the center of the dash

Would I be able to get away with having 2 switches in series, one mounted at either end of the dash panel? Idea being the switch mounted on the left end of the dashboard would be the main switch typically operated by the driver. In the event of an accident, safety crews would have a switch on either side of the car they could use to kill the car. Being at the end of the dash on either side, it would not require a lot of your body to go in to the car versus having to reach for a centrally mounted switch.

I am considering doing the same with the T-handle for the fire bottle. Just have a switch and a handle next to each other on either side of the car.

Thoughts?

Have as many as you want, as long as one is mounted center console, and all behave to kill the engine @ 3000rpm

The reason being is corner worker staff has already been briefed on our rules and know to reach for car center to kill power.

Edited by Team Infiniti