MARC RUTHERFORD

Flat rotors or slotted?

You will get better results with "blanks" or flat rotors than with any fancy drilled/slotted/waved.  As a double benefit, they are almost always cheaper, even for good quality ones.

• Like 6

*shiver*  Just regular blanks, please!

The other ones have all sorts of stress risers and failure points!

Plus, they aren't needed.  Newer race pads don't outgas like the old pads.  That was the reason for the holes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ross2004 said:

Most all "real race cars" with an iron rotor have some sort of slot/scallop- to keep the glaze off the pad?

AP-RACING-MAIN-ACG-AUTOMOTIVE.jpg

Gives a place for the pad material to go if you have large\fast consumption, and breaks up the gas layer at the surface. 

Once you are doing specific rotor castings like that, the cost isn't really higher to do slots or not (compared to the overall rotor cost). 

Back to normal income level brakes, spend the money on quality iron solid rotors (vs a lower quality slotted). I would spend more on pads at our level if I had the means to afford a good rotor casting with slots.....

1 hour ago, ross2004 said:

Most all "real race cars" with an iron rotor have some sort of slot/scallop- to keep the glaze off the pad?

Good choice in pics :)

There are performance advantages to slots, especially at the pro level.  The staggered and curved slots on those rotors (and those of other pro suppliers) are designed and placed to evenly heat up the disc face and prevent cold spots as the disc cycles.  Its pretty clear when a disc is cycling where the slots build heat first.  They do help with pad glazing and initial bite as well.  The flip side is that pad wear matters a lot less when you fit 30+mm thick brake pads into the calipers and can feed multiple 4" hoses to the disc.

For our type of racing, the problems (increased heat/stress risers) created by cheap straight slots, poor cooling options and thin OE pads outweigh any advantage even a good slotted disc could provide.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MARC RUTHERFORD said:

Looking for some information for front brake rotors. Anyone have a good or bad experience using anything other than good quality flat rotors? 

From what I read and was told a standard flat rotor is best.

9 hours ago, ross2004 said:

That looks more expensive than our entire build. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

That looks more expensive than our entire build. 

Yep.  Same.  However, some champcar are selling for multiple dozens of thousands of dollars.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Yep.  Same.  However, some champcar are selling for multiple dozens of thousands of dollars.  

I thought we really went uptown when we went with the C6 kit...lol 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

You did.  Haha.  I'm still running 1987 brakes.

yeah we got a good deal from bigbrakeupgrade.com they work GREAT. I'm guessing our car is a tad heavier than yours and we carry a little more speed into the corners. We still run the stock discs on the rear.