I want to enter the race tonight, but not sure on how and if we need to do a few things.  

I am part of the league so that seems good.  Just log on to iracing, find the league and click enter tonight? 

I loaded iracing beta ui for some reason and never used it so not sure on that. 

Do we have to pit for fuel and tires?  What buttons settings do we use to do that? 

When pitting do we have to take tires? If not how do we set it to not do that? 

How much fuel? How do we set that? 

To pit do we just go to the end to your pit guy and then hit buttons and when? What buttons settings and when? 

For the fast fix how do I set that up? 

Anything else I need to know? 

Thanks

Troy

Someone with more knowledge may correct me on this but:

- Use regular iRacing, not the UI for this, seems easier to me for league stuff

- go to league sessions, should show this event, enter and done

- fuel is a must, as we all start the race with a set short amount.  tires is an option for you, at this track I think most will choose to take tires

- the setting for fuel and tires are in the "black boxes" that you can display on screen to see relative, standings, etc.  play with it in practice

- in these black boxes you check or uncheck for tires...again, play with it in practice

- fuel quantity you take depends on when you pit and how much fuel you are burning in race (saving fuel by running behind someone?)  If I remember right, this track will probably require 4.2 gallons?

- You set the pit stop items prior to pitting (checking whether or not you are taking tires, how much fuel) and when you stop in your box it all happens.

- fast fix is a check/uncheck box in the fuel "black box" window.  leave it unchecked unless you have significant damage - as sometimes it can be used for very minor damage and you only have one.

sign up an run tonight early, a lot of your questions you can get out of the way in the practice.  especially if you have a mic set up.

Cheers,

Paul

• Thanks 1

Hi Troy, please see responses below, and hope this helps yourself and other interested parties. Paul covered most of it nicely, but adding a few additional points and pictures.

As long as you have already applied to the league using the link in the schedule post, you can access league sessions via the main website:

https://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/Home.do

Navigate to League Sessions:

image.png.ddacdca39b7781e5e42a916b619c8003.png

And you should see the pending league session scheduled on this page:

image.png.14473f786664cd9e225e1d849ad216bb.png

The blue box on the right (highlighted) will change to a green steering wheel icon after the page refreshes after 7pm ET tonight, click that and you will be able to register for the session. 

For the race specific questions:

A pit stop will be required for fuel as the car setup is fixed and everyone will start with a short fill on which it will not be able to finish the full race distance.

You do not have to take tires when taking fuel, these options can be set separately. New tires do give a bit of a pace boost, but the benefit should be weighed against any additional time it may take to change tires in addition to the fuel fill. 

Fuel and tire service occur simultaneously in the pits. You should use practice time to work out how much additional fuel will be needed in the race (work out an average race lap pace and fuel consumption/lap, and then work out how much will need to be added to the baseline amount in the setup). For reference, in this car tires take about the same amount of time as 3g of fuel takes to be added to the car. If you work out you will need less than 3g in the race, then taking tires might cost a bit of additional time. However, this can be worth the offset in pace advantage. Again, practice is the time to work out these variables.

Pressing F4 whilst in the car will bring up the fuel and repair options. Use this to set the amount of fuel to be added to the car the next time the car enters the pits (this must be done whilst on track and before you stop in the box). Also use this to set your fast repair option (an instant repair of all damage on the car) - you only get one so use it wisely.

Pressing F5 whilst in the car will bring up the tire change options - uncheck or check the respective boxes to select the tires to change the next time the car enters the pits. 

The amount of fuel you will need to add during the race will vary due to car, track, starting fill, and your own driving style. It is best to use practice to work out a strategy. For a baseline reference, the Mazda NC normally requires between 2 and 4 gallons additional fuel for an average ChampCar race.

To pit, set the options using the F4 and F5 on your in-lap, enter the pitlane (being aware of the speed limit), and you should see your guy waiting with a lollipop. Pull in to the box and service will begin automatically in reference to the options you have defined. 

I think that covers most things - only other thing of which to be aware is that the NC is on the latest tire model from iRacing, which models tire temperature more extremely and so they need to be looked after to warm up properly on an out lap and kept from overheating. This maybe different from previous memories of this car if you haven't driven it for a while.

• Like 2

Hey @MR2 Biohazard what is you current road license (ex. C 2.49)?  If it is less than D 2.0, you will not be able to race.  I only ask, because with all of your questions it seems like you have never run an iRacing race before and as such probably have a Rookie license.

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Hey @MR2 Biohazard what is you current road license (ex. C 2.49)?  If it is less than D 2.0, you will not be able to race.  I only ask, because with all of your questions it seems like you have never run an iRacing race before and as such probably have a Rookie license.

I do have a C iracing lic, but only did the Miata cup races so no pitting.  

That was fun.  I actually liked the miata nc as that was my first time driving it. Here are some thoughts.  

I should have given myself more than 45 min of practice ahead of time.  Duh. 

I should have tried the Miata nc prior to the race day. Another duh.  

I need to use less brakes. Yup.  I slow down way to much. 

I thought I was going to be faster, I was not. 

I got lapped.  It made me sad.  Next race my goal is to not get lapped. 

I spun on the first lap.  Tires were slippery and I was not calibrated.  Red mist.  

I started dead last after my spin and 20 seconds back in like 35-40th.  I had a decent race and was in the teens.  That did not feel bad.  

I got two more monitors for the sides so I will know better where people are.  Sorry if I ran over anyone as I tried to give room. 

In the race can I get my lap times up on the left like practice and qualifying?  Does it give you the time remaining? 

I spun on the 2nd to last lap.  How do I use the quick fix option?  I had it checked?  I had to sit there for like 2-1/2 minutes and then it was not fixed anyway.  

what is the best way to optimize tire wear abs usage? When are they they best for qualifying?  

Is qualifying is it like the boys club?  Do guys go out together to draft and bump to aide each other’s laps?  I just drove around by myself.  Is that bad? 

I need to figure out how much fuel.  I used the arrows on the side of the black box top and it made like a gallon change. Is there a way to use a specific number? 

I look forward to the next race.  

Hey Troy,
I'm gonna do my best to answer a few of your questions and give some advice here. Almost all of your questions relate to iRacing generally, and not specific rules or operations of the ChampCar iRacing Series. Dan Sosulski has a video series he's doing right now which is an introduction to iRacing and it may give you some tips to improve. 

11 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

In the race can I get my lap times up on the left like practice and qualifying?  Does it give you the time remaining? 

When you're in the car, the 'Tab' key cycles through the different timing options. Often you'll have the 'delta bar' enabled in Practice and Qualifying, but not in the race. You can enable it in the race if you want. I find the 2 most useful deltas are 'session best lap' and 'last lap'. Other options like 'all time best' might frustrate you as you try to keep up with a pace that's not possible in the current weather and track state.
You'll know that F1, F2, F3 keys etc give you different 'black boxes' with information, of course the F3 black box with the relative information is usually most useful in a race, you can briefly look at the F1 box and it will tell you how much time remains in a session. During a race, it will tell you how much time is left on the race clock.

I spun on the 2nd to last lap.  How do I use the quick fix option?  I had it checked?  I had to sit there for like 2-1/2 minutes and then it was not fixed anyway.  

Sounds like you know to have 'Fast Repair' checked in the F4 box of the pit options. I've looked at the replay and I'm not sure what happened with your repairs. What I did see that you used the tow truck after your spin. Even if you have a fast repair, towing the car back to pitlane in a race session will almost always be slower than driving back to pits unless you've blown the engine. The other thing to consider of course, driving a damaged car around the circuit may be difficult to control and keep safely out of the way of other racers. 

Is qualifying is it like the boys club?  Do guys go out together to draft and bump to aide each other’s laps?  I just drove around by myself.  Is that bad? 

If you've raised your iRacing Safety Rating high enough to be eligible for the championship rounds, you're already aware of incident points and that you want to avoid them. You'll also know that a qualifying lap with an incident isn't counted. Almost all of the time, bump drafting gives both drivers a 'contact (0x)' or worse, which would invalidate their qualifying laps. 
Some drivers might choose to leave the pitlane together in hopes of picking up a draft though. Down the back stretch at Road Atlanta this is probably more noticeable and effective than Sonoma and VIR South, the next 2 races on the calendar. 
Trying to 'pick up a tow' in qualifying only really matters once you've already registered a lap time equal to the best you can do unassisted. If you're unsure, I'd say your best option in qualifying is trying to find some empty track you so can focus on your best, smoothest, cleanest lap, without having to worrying too much about other drivers around.

I need to figure out how much fuel.  I used the arrows on the side of the black box top and it made like a gallon change. Is there a way to use a specific number? 

In iRacing, different cars have different pitstop fueling settings, these replicate the kind of crew and refuelling rigs which would be used with that kind of racecar. How specific you can be with your fuel request is covered by this, and as such for the NC Mazda MX-5 it's only possible to select in increments of 1 gallon. 
Can you imagine a ChampCar driver radioing the team and asking for 5 and 3/4 gallons? 😋

So in conclusion, I hope my little thoughts here make sense and help you be more comfortable and competitive next round. You were scored as completing the race, so you're one round closer to your name going in the hat to win a very valuable free ChampCar entry. 
Hope to see you for the race at Sonoma on Feb 12! (Check back soon here on the forum for details of the practice sessions in the weeks ahead)
David Haines

• Like 4

@MR2 Biohazard glad you had fun, sounds like you have caught the sim bug. As far as fuel calculations and lap time data, I use Joel Real Timing. https://joel-real-timing.com/index_en.html

Its basically a webserver that runs on your machine that pulls data from iRacing. I display the dashboard, there are probably 50 screens to choose from, on my cell phone and touch the fuel number and it sets the exact amount in iRacing and stops fueling the moment you have just enough to make it. You have the ability to choose one or five lap average on fuel burn for the calculations and can set it to add any number of additional laps of fuel, I use 0.5.

Crew Chief is a free alternative that can handle fueling in a very similar way but I only use it for the spotter functions and turn off the iRacing spotters. Let me know if you need more specific details.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  I will try to take all the tips and incorporate it into my iracing.  

not sure if I can do Sonoma as I am flying out on wed morning for the real race to tow the 20-24 hours there.  If Sonoma is a week before the real race then I should be good. I need to look at it, thr championship rounds have usually been a week before the real race and that makes sense to give people time to race. 

I guess I will not be going a lot of races.  Dang it.  Seems like the races are the same week as the real race.  Travel time for me on a bunch of them is leaving Wednesday’s.  

I thought in years past the races were a week before the real races.  Maybe that has changed. Dang, I was looking forward to the races.  

Here is a question then. In Champcar iracing do you have to be a champcar member then or can anyone enter? Are the people racing a lot and winning the guys I really race against? I am terrible with names and know people by their cars usually.  

10 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

I thought in years past the races were a week before the real races.  Maybe that has changed. Dang, I was looking forward to the races.  

Our first season (2018), the races were on the Thursday evenings before the real races. Last year we moved to Wednesday as it was clear that a lot of racers were packing up/starting to tow on Thursdays. Wednesday we see as a good compromise between relevancy and convenience. Unfortunately the sheer volume of CCES events (on tracks in the iRacing world and not) means that there may be some overlap.

11 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

In Champcar iracing do you have to be a champcar member then or can anyone enter? Are the people racing a lot and winning the guys I really race against? I am terrible with names and know people by their cars usually.

You do not have to be a CC member to run in the iRacing Series; the hope is that the prizes will offer the chance for new drivers/teams to get involved in CC, as well as building a community to get the wider iRacing community interested in learning more about our particular form of budget endurance racing. To that end, we had an interesting mix of drivers in Round 1. Taking a few examples; the winner DJ has never raced CCES but does race in GLTC. JD Allen has also never raced CCES, but is a very competitive Spec Miata racer. Alex Albert, and Alex Koffard are both members of HughJass, along with myself. Kevin Binkley campaigns a blue and white E46 in CCES.  Other honorable mentions to CCES racers @Gordo, @Jab31169, @flytime, @NigelStu, and @Jamie, all of whom were on the grid last Wednesday. I'm sure I missed a few as well, but this should give you an idea of the cross-section of membership and drivers we hope to attract to the series.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rapido said:

Our first season (2018), the races were on the Thursday evenings before the real races. Last year we moved to Wednesday as it was clear that a lot of racers were packing up/starting to tow on Thursdays. Wednesday we see as a good compromise between relevancy and convenience. Unfortunately the sheer volume of CCES events (on tracks in the iRacing world and not) means that there may be some overlap.

You do not have to be a CC member to run in the iRacing Series; the hope is that the prizes will offer the chance for new drivers/teams to get involved in CC, as well as building a community to get the wider iRacing community interested in learning more about our particular form of budget endurance racing. To that end, we had an interesting mix of drivers in Round 1. Taking a few examples; the winner DJ has never raced CCES but does race in GLTC. JD Allen has also never raced CCES, but is a very competitive Spec Miata racer. Alex Albert, and Alex Koffard are both members of HughJass, along with myself. Kevin Binkley campaigns a blue and white E46 in CCES.  Other honorable mentions to CCES racers @Gordo, @Jab31169, @flytime, @NigelStu, and @Jamie, all of whom were on the grid last Wednesday. I'm sure I missed a few as well, but this should give you an idea of the cross-section of membership and drivers we hope to attract to the series.

Interesting to know anyone can enter CC iracing and win free entries. I am glad my entry fees I am paying each race, 8-9 this year,  are going towards that, not. It should be only active members that can win the free entry, I know it will not be me as I do not have the skills, so it is not me complaining for myself, but to see some others come in and cherry pick the series to take it away from members just really sucks I think. 

On the Wednesday it can usually work, I will just have to miss a good 4 races or more due to traveling to races. I use iracing to get myself ready for the real races and keep my skills fresh. There is not substitute for the real G forces and feelings you get. 

On the same note the good news is that iWRL iracing is on Tuesday so I can got to all of those races.

BTW- I think the quick fix can be used, but you can not take fuel or change tires.  I figured out how to turn off fuel, but not sure on tires yet. What I read online makes me be a coder or something and go into some ini file and change settings, but then how do I add it back during race.  You would think it would be easier than that so I must be missing something I would think. Can anyone explain to me how to not take tires? Thanks for the help.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Interesting to know anyone can enter CC iracing and win free entries. I am glad my entry fees I am paying each race, 8-9 this year,  are going towards that, not. It should be only active members that can win the free entry, I know it will not be me as I do not have the skills, so it is not me complaining for myself, but to see some others come in and cherry pick the series to take it away from members just really sucks I think. 

You don't think the series should spend any money recruiting new drivers/teams?

If it was only for active members how would giving away a free entry benefit the series? 

7 hours ago, ABR-Glen said:

You don't think the series should spend any money recruiting new drivers/teams?

If it was only for active members how would giving away a free entry benefit the series? 

I think having the price money will attack people to the series. They can spend the $50 and join Champcar and then race with us. 

Has anyone done iracing and then went out and built a car or started a team and entered a race? I would bet money the answer is no, but I would love to be proved wrong.  Does anyone know of even a single team that raced iracing and go introduced to Champcar that way and has turned into another entry to the series?

If not then I as a member am paying entry fees at races to fund the winning person. If that winning person is a member of Champcar than I am happy to do it. If not I do not think they should get any.

Now on that note if the iracing league is self funded and has a sponsor that pays all the iracing fees, administrative fees, server fees, or whatever else is involved and will cover the cost of all of that plus the free give a ways and prizes I am 100% down for that. Do we have that?

37 minutes ago, Ray Franck said:

HUGH JASS ^^

And? 

Ray, what are you talking about? They sponsor it and pay for all the iracing bills and front the free entry cost? If so they are amazing and my hat is off to them for sure and a big thank you.

1 hour ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Has anyone done iracing and then went out and built a car or started a team and entered a race? I would bet money the answer is no, but I would love to be proved wrong.  Does anyone know of even a single team that raced iracing and go introduced to Champcar that way and has turned into another entry to the series?

On that note, I'd like to introduce you to the story of my very own team. We all met online, in an iRacing league, and started doing iRacing endurance events, the organisation of which is not dissimilar to a ChampCar event. From there we realised a shared hobby, finally started to meet in person, built a race car, and did our first ChampCar event in March 2017. Since then we've done quite a few events, placing well in most, and running reliably and cleanly. It is because of this history and experience than the CCES BoD reached out to me to start running the CCiS. You can read more about our history on our website.

BTW- I think the quick fix can be used, but you can not take fuel or change tires.  I figured out how to turn off fuel, but not sure on tires yet. What I read online makes me be a coder or something and go into some ini file and change settings, but then how do I add it back during race.  You would think it would be easier than that so I must be missing something I would think. Can anyone explain to me how to not take tires? Thanks for the help.

Your fast repair can be used concurrently with fuel or tires, the only stipulation is that the checkbox on the F4 box must be checked prior to arriving in your pit box. As explained above, tires can be selected/deselected using the F5 box. 

There is not substitute for the real G forces and feelings you get. 

I agree that the sim does lack some of the tactile feedback you experience on track, however we have seen some correlation between relative pace in the sim being reflected on the track. Max Verstappen and Lando Norris are very highly rated and fast iRacers, and they seem to do ok in real life. Same for William Byron and Ty Majeski in the NASCAR world. The majority of our HJ drivers had zero track experience before racing in a CCES event, but were at a decent baseline pace right from the start and able to race competitively purely down to iRacing experience. I'd be happy to do a stint in your MR2 at WGI and see how I compare.

Finally on that point, I am glad that there is not a CCES membership requirement to compete in the CCiS. The goal of the series is to introduce simracers, who may not have the exposure or opportunity to race in the real world, to the ChampCar community. It spreads awareness of the race series, and offers the chance for talented drivers to win a very exciting opportunity to bring their skills to our series. Hopefully they are sufficiently bitten by the racing bug that this inspires them to come back to future events, either with their own car or as a renting driver to help boost the entry of another team. Through maintaining this welcoming sense of community in the sim, we can continue to build support and attract members to the series. To that point, John D Allen, who just missed out on the prize last season, is still intending to rent a seat from us at an event this year (and therefore push us to pay a full entry fee for a race that we may not have done otherwise), just because he got to know the series and the community from competing in iRacing last year. This is an entry fee that CC may not have received were it not for offering a prize in the series the prior year, already breaking even on the prize that it did pay out. In this way we can continue to build the series in both virtual and real worlds.

Edited by Rapido
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

How much money? 😝

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

And? 

Ray, what are you talking about? They sponsor it and pay for all the iracing bills and front the free entry cost? If so they are amazing and my hat is off to them for sure and a big thank you.

Simply answering your question. 

If you think the ChampCar I Racing league if a wast of time and money I feel sorry for you.  Every searies had better start promoting racing wherever and however they can to encourage younger folks and peak there interests.  

My opinion is it is worth every penny and will pay off in years to come . YOMV.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Seriously?  You can't honestly believe this can you?  I hope you are just playing devils advocate...if not you are being incredibly obtuse.  

13 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

Seriously?  You can't honestly believe this can you?  I hope you are just playing devils advocate...if not you are being incredibly obtuse.  

I was more upset that it seems he doesn't think I'm going to win again this year. 🤪

• Haha 3

I was hoping that switching vehicles out every other race might make it interesting, but then I remembered you're prob still way faster than me in all of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1