Sign in to follow this  
Steve Peterson

Automatic transmission in endurance racing

The good

The bad

Let’s talk

I feel that there are fluids that will hold to a weekend of racing with the right cooling in place 

If programmed correctly or manual valve body could get the shift point where they need to be 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated 

Steve you need to direct this to Ed with the Sharkfin Infinity out of FLA as he has years of running with an auto and done very well.

I'm sure he can chime in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We ran a th350 behind a sbc 350 for years in this type of racing.  I changed the fluid about every 4 or 5 races (usually because I was pulling the engine...).

Had a small parts store cooler in front of the radiator and that's about it.  

We did have a manual valve body on it.  

Never had a single issue.

The only downside we noticed is that if the engine died, it was more difficult to restart than a manual.  Meaning if it had issues idling, your day was done.  Manual equipped cars it doesn't really matter, because they aren't ever at idle speed once on track.  An automatic equipped car goes to lower rpms a lot on track.

I’ll be here watching and answering but right now in line at DMV

I’ll start with fluid

Synthetic mandatory, we’ve had tremendous success with amilie  universal transmission fluid, it gets changed when color changes, that could be 8+ race weekend, other times if it turns color suddenly or too quickly the unit gets pulled to find out why.

Monitoring temperature also mandatory but hasn’t lead to catching a failure, it just lets us know if the cooler is working well.

We ran our 1st 3 races with a 700r4 trans. We used a race valve body, used the AC condenser as the cooler and had zero problems, the problem is it isn't geared for road racing...the gears are too far apart. Even if you Malayan shift the drop off between 3 and 4 makes the car lazy. 

18 hours ago, Steve Peterson said:

The good

The bad

Let’s talk

I feel that there are fluids that will hold to a weekend of racing with the right cooling in place 

If programmed correctly or manual valve body could get the shift point where they need to be 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated 

What transmission are you talking about?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scottyk said:

What transmission are you talking about?

The stock solstice 5l40 (also behind early Gm 3.6 ) and programming the shifts to only shift up or down at a certain mph so will stay rev’ed up even when off the throttle basically locking in each gear till reaches down shift mph or up shift mph

I know this part works as have played with in the past on 4l60’s just not sure on the longevity part 

I am ok with changing fluid as often as after every weekend isn’t a problem just don’t want to be replacing or rebuilding after every weekend 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

We ran our 1st 3 races with a 700r4 trans. We used a race valve body, used the AC condenser as the cooler and had zero problems, the problem is it isn't geared for road racing...the gears are too far apart. Even if you Malayan shift the drop off between 3 and 4 makes the car lazy. 

5l40 

2nd gear 2.21

3rd gear is 1.60

4th gear 1.0

5th gear .75

very similar to the manual 

I would never consider any of theChrysler 62TE related units. Mind you derivatives of that unit are used in dodge and vw as well lol. Ed is your man, go find his in car videos lol.

4 minutes ago, Steve Peterson said:

The stock solstice 5l40 (also behind early Gm 3.6 ) and programming the shifts to only shift up or down at a certain mph so will stay rev’ed up even when off the throttle basically locking in each gear till reaches down shift mph or up shift mph

I know this part works as have played with in the past on 4l60’s just not sure on the longevity part 

I am ok with changing fluid as often as after every weekend isn’t a problem just don’t want to be replacing or rebuilding after every weekend 

I know zero about that trans

12 hours ago, Steve Peterson said:

5l40 

2nd gear 2.21

3rd gear is 1.60

4th gear 1.0

5th gear .75

very similar to the manual 

after swapping out to a T5 I can say it is not anything like a manual. 

Edited by TiredBirds

3 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

after swapping out to a T% I can say it is not anything like a manual. 

He's saying the ratios in the 5L40 are similar to the manual.

The 700R4 on the other hand was barely functional as a street trans, and ruined the driveability of all of GMs 80s "sports" cars that should have been at least a little exciting to drive had it not been for that most slushy of slushboxes.

We have been bench racing the idea of running a automatic trans in a 350z.  I think it can be done but, the development time will involve some failures more than likely.  I'm hoping to find someone else who can give us a blueprint to follow.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

The 700R4 on the other hand was barely functional as a street trans, and ruined the driveability of all of GMs 80s "sports" cars that should have been at least a little exciting to drive had it not been for that most slushy of slushboxes.

I’d argue it ruined everything it was stuck in.  Even my truck isn’t happy with it, though a set of 3.73s helped.

53 minutes ago, Lethal Cliff said:

We have been bench racing the idea of running a automatic trans in a 350z.  I think it can be done but, the development time will involve some failures more than likely.  I'm hoping to find someone else who can give us a blueprint to follow.

One ran at Charlotte and a few races in the SE. 

10 hours ago, Lethal Cliff said:

Now that’s a transmission I know well

12 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

well it did have a MVB but like I said it seemed like the car was always in the wrong gear. No idea what the 5L40 is. I'm a Mopar guy...lol 

1 hour ago, scottyk said:

Now that’s a transmission I know well

Email the motorsports manager at Nissan and he can help get you this info.

Carl Phillips

Nissan North America, Inc.

Motorsports Manager

carl.phillips@nissan-usa.com

11 hours ago, Lethal Cliff said:

Carl Phillips

Motorsports Manager

• Like 1

I am building an MR2 Spyder with the 2014 Avalon 3.5liter v6 and 6-Speed auto. After talking to the Toyota factory team that ran the same setup in the earlier Avalon at AMP, it looks like we have to use a really large oil cooler. Like F350 radiator size. lol. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Carl Phillips

Motorsports Manager

Carl Phillips

Motorsports Manager

I was being serious Bill. I do know that transmission 

What (if anything) does a slush box do to brake usage?  I imagine the drivetrain braking is less.

22 minutes ago, mcewena said:

What (if anything) does a slush box do to brake usage?  I imagine the drivetrain braking is less.non existent

Destroys, we have twin 3.5 brake ducts centered behind just to keep it near "normal"

ST43 Ha, *melts*

ST47 Nope

10 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

I would be interested in hearing more

Pm me with info your looking for.

On 1/24/2020 at 8:33 AM, Bill Strong said:

I am building an MR2 Spyder with the 2014 Avalon 3.5liter v6 and 6-Speed auto. After talking to the Toyota factory team that ran the same setup in the earlier Avalon at AMP, it looks like we have to use a really large oil cooler. Like F350 radiator size. lol. 

How's the swap points work on that?