I'm wondering when hood vents became points and whom determined this, was there a petition that the board voted on?  Do hood vents really warrant 2.5 points?  If I was to build  another car to the BCCR were does one find all these extra FPV that are being discussed?  Do we now need to build cars to the BCCR & knowledge base?  

2 hours ago, scottyk said:

I'm wondering when hood vents became points and whom determined this, was there a petition that the board voted on?  Do hood vents really warrant 2.5 points?  If I was to build  another car to the BCCR were does one find all these extra FPV that are being discussed?  Do we now need to build cars to the BCCR & knowledge base?  

If it's an off the shelf product that claims to or does increase cooling and/or downforce, then it should absolutely cost points.

If you hack up your stock hood to create louvers using no extra or only repurposed material, then it's free and has been.

Even though there have been steps away from it, this is still a builders series.

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...

Hey Bill, I was wondering if you found an answer to the hood vent question.  When we went through tech earlier this year it was suggested by Jay that we vent the hood (just cut slits in it) since it cost zero points so I'm confused.  Thank you!

• Technical Advisory Committee
2 hours ago, Bogey Goff said:

Hey Bill, I was wondering if you found an answer to the hood vent question.  When we went through tech earlier this year it was suggested by Jay that we vent the hood (just cut slits in it) since it cost zero points so I'm confused.  Thank you!

Hood vents are in the BCCR as 2.5 points each for aftermarket ones.

Cutting OE metal would not be additional points.  

27 minutes ago, Chris Huggins said:

Hood vents are in the BCCR as 2.5 points each for aftermarket ones.

Cutting OE metal would not be additional points.  

I'll assume something beyond riveted vents would be material points.

spacer.png

Edited by Bandit
  • Technical Advisory Committee
22 minutes ago, the5 said:

An Angle Grinder is Free! Spend enough time and they will look great!

142532781_4084970741522803_1319667659126357040_o.jpg

Close up pictures please 

1 hour ago, turbogrill said:

Ducting is free right? So those sides in the vent should be fin

Dunno. I'll be claiming about 100 points for aluminum sheet so that should cover the hood duct of someone really wants to measure it all.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, mhr650 said:

As I remember it, any ducting in front of the coolers is free, any ducting behind the coolers is points. not sure if that is still the case or even if I remember it right.

I can't find it in the BCCR, it just to say something about brake ducts as well. Hmm...either I am blind or it got removed.

4 hours ago, turbogrill said:

I can't find it in the BCCR, it just to say something about brake ducts as well. Hmm...either I am blind or it got removed.

I don't think this ever made it into the rule book, but I remember that is how tech was valuing ductwork. Then again I have been away for a while so things may have changed. 

On 2/18/2021 at 11:29 AM, the5 said:

An Angle Grinder is Free! Spend enough time and they will look great!

A lot of measuring, a couple of pieces of wood, very thin cut off wheel and a few hours and this is the result. Hint practice on scrap metal.

20190917_210022[1].jpg

• Like 10
  • 1 month later...
On 2/20/2021 at 12:07 AM, gundy said:

A lot of measuring, a couple of pieces of wood, very thin cut off wheel and a few hours and this is the result. Hint practice on scrap metal.

20190917_210022[1].jpg

Gundy, nice fabrication work! That is exactly what I was aiming to do. Can you share how you did that?

• Like 1

Or is it by louver - Gundy's car could be as many as 8x2.5!

I've been having these same thoughts since I wanted to add some to my car.  If I buy a couple of panels, then attach them to each other, does two then become one?

So you can spend about $1500 on a louver press and dies get the vents for free or guy buy a cheap ventilated panel but pay points.