Jump to content

Clear up the Automatic trans point deduction


Steve Peterson
 Share

Recommended Posts

So it is minus 75 point for an automatic 

 

My question is that to be the automatic out of that different make or model plus

25 points

 

Then the new driveshaft cut to length another 10 points

 

Then your gonna have to have a better then stock trans cooler for 20 points 

 

So am I missing something or switching to an Automatic is only gonna get me minus 20 points 

 

Can this me correct ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
23 minutes ago, Steve Peterson said:

So it is minus 75 point for an automatic 

 

My question is that to be the automatic out of that different make or model plus

25 points

 

Then the new driveshaft cut to length another 10 points

 

Then your gonna have to have a better then stock trans cooler for 20 points 

 

So am I missing something or switching to an Automatic is only gonna get me minus 20 points 

 

Can this me correct ?


Only cars that have a manual trans option get the deduction for an auto, an example would be the Infinity J30 IIRC. 
 

@Team Infiniti can probably confirm. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, red0 said:


Only cars that have a manual trans option get the deduction for an auto, an example would be the Infinity J30 IIRC. 
 

@Team Infiniti can probably confirm. 

That is not how its written

 

Not quoting but it goes like this: run a racecar with a torque convertor based auto and get -75 pts

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Steve Peterson said:

So it is minus 75 point for an automatic 

 

My question is that to be the automatic out of that different make or model plus

25 points

 

Then the new driveshaft cut to length another 10 points

 

Then your gonna have to have a better then stock trans cooler for 20 points 

 

So am I missing something or switching to an Automatic is only gonna get me minus 20 points 

 

Can this me correct ?

That would be for swapping in a non-OE automatic. You could also use the OE automatic and take 75 pts off the VPI compared to the manual version. On the e30, the auto version comes with a cooler and correct driveshaft. E30 for 375 pts... mmmmm

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, red0 said:


Only cars that have a manual trans option get the deduction for an auto, an example would be the Infinity J30 IIRC. 
 

@Team Infiniti can probably confirm. 

This was a Condren rule... I asked Mike after JC left and he said that ChampCar is not going to go through figuring out what cars had manual options and which did not. The VPI in the table assumes that the car has a manual trans in it. If you are using an auto, take 75 pts off (and add 25 back if the auto you are using is swapped from some other car). If the car has auto as the only stock option, you can put a manual in (from any other car on the list) for 25 pts over the listed VPI. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, chbright said:

 

Meh not enough fuel or power to justify the auto. There is at least 2 models on the vpi that are very interesting if taking the auto and then a swap........

Power can be improved...  fuel, well...  Maybe someday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, ablesnead said:

boxster with tiptronic , push button shift , factory cooler  ,75 points for the stuff round three got fussed at about

Im hoping racing slushboxes within kraut cars remains heresy, something quickly dealt with in ones friend circle :ph34r:

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have seen posts about it but don't remember seeing a solid answer.  Has there ever been clarification on whether a dual clutch gearbox gets the 75 point deduction?  A GTI with a dsg would be an interesting way to get less experienced drivers (not confident with a stick) into the series.  Also, younger people might not have any exposure to a stick shift car these days.  Lando Norris couldn't get a stick shift car going at Autobahn last summer and gave up on trying.  It was some sort of vintage open wheel car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Clueless Racing said:

I have seen posts about it but don't remember seeing a solid answer.  Has there ever been clarification on whether a dual clutch gearbox gets the 75 point deduction?  A GTI with a dsg would be an interesting way to get less experienced drivers (not confident with a stick) into the series.  Also, younger people might not have any exposure to a stick shift car these days.  Lando Norris couldn't get a stick shift car going at Autobahn last summer and gave up on trying.  It was some sort of vintage open wheel car.

Yes, clarified, to get the auto trans deduction it must have a torque convertor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Clueless Racing said:

 

Thanks for the info!  I must have missed the torque converter detail.  I still think a dsg gti would be a great car for an intro to racing type situation if the trans could be kept alive.  

 

If the trans would/could be made to survive, the DSG golf GTI/R would make a great track toy.  I don't know if they carry enough fuel to be competitive.  It's really only a matter of time before someone finds out.

Edited by SonsOfIrony
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Drvolks knows this answer, ask him

Here I am, VW calls there DSG a automatic it dos have a valve body and and a slipper kind of clutch most torque converters have a clutch lockup . But I have asked Mike and his team got big NO.  yes we run a DSG in the TT with a TDI CR2L we love it they need to be tuned that is free, makes the car so much easier to drive. I now do VW and Audi tuning and DSG too. Will be at WGI with it ( just has a latter slip out from under me fracked  my wrist and elbow)been a bad winter 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DRVOLKS said:

Here I am, VW calls there DSG a automatic it dos have a valve body and and a slipper kind of clutch most torque converters have a clutch lockup . But I have asked Mike and his team got big NO.  yes we run a DSG in the TT with a TDI CR2L we love it they need to be tuned that is free, makes the car so much easier to drive. I now do VW and Audi tuning and DSG too. Will be at WGI with it ( just has a latter slip out from under me fracked  my wrist and elbow)been a bad winter 

This was one of the cars we looked at building. If ChampCar allowed a DSG to be classified an automatic, the Audi TT 3.2 with DSG would be the overdog du jour. 245 HP, AWD, 6 speed, dual clutch fast shifts for 540 - 75 = 465 points.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DRVOLKS said:

Here I am, VW calls there DSG a automatic it dos have a valve body and and a slipper kind of clutch most torque converters have a clutch lockup . But I have asked Mike and his team got big NO.  yes we run a DSG in the TT with a TDI CR2L we love it they need to be tuned that is free, makes the car so much easier to drive. I now do VW and Audi tuning and DSG too. Will be at WGI with it ( just has a latter slip out from under me fracked  my wrist and elbow)been a bad winter 

Hi,

i was thinking about a A3,  DSG, 2T. But i am concerned about fuel consumtion . What do you think ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a bummer for the VAG community. The DSG is a game changer in speed of shifting, but it also has its disadvantages over a standard gearbox. Fluid heat creep is a killer for a tracked dual clutch. The -55 points (adding a trans cooler) definitely do not outweigh the benefits of having a rock solid manual transmission. No where in the 40+ pages of the BCCR does it state anything about the VPI deduction of an automatic transmission, only on the VPI chart...

 

"Note #1 - Deduct 75 points from the value listed if the car is raced with an automatic transmission."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...