Fender Flare Point Cost

Philip944

What's the going rate for cheapo ebay fender flares these days?   Last time we had some at tech they used a 'hey ______ what do you think those are worth?', 'I don't know, what do you think?' approach.   Is there a reliable point value established?  Will I just need to try to  calculate  the  Sq/ft and plead my case?  I'd like to just  pull out the fenders to the extreme by pulling the inner folded lip outwards and flaring it, but that will just look stupid cut anyone's tire that questions it's integrity.  Thanks for any input.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Philip944 said:

What's the going rate for cheapo ebay fender flares these days?   Last time we had some at tech they used a 'hey ______ what do you think those are worth?', 'I don't know, what do you think?' approach.   Is there a reliable point value established?  Will I just need to try to  calculate  the  Sq/ft and plead my case?  I'd like to just  pull out the fenders to the extreme by pulling the inner folded lip outwards and flaring it, but that will just look stupid cut anyone's tire that questions it's integrity.  Thanks for any input.

We cut our wheel lips back then rolled them up.  We also kicked the fronts out at the bottom.  I'm guess the points would go by materials used.  

it's quite a can of worms because it's not really about flares, its about the ability to run more tire.  if flares are cheap, then how much are overfenders or whole aftermarket parts.  those will look even better but won't add performance beyond big flares.

sooner or later this series is going to need to consider limiting tire size over stock if we keep going down this road.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RandomTask said:

Anyone have any clue what it will be for a c4 corvette? Apparently fiberglass doesnt take well to bending so I found some cheap plastic ebay flares. ($20)

Which brings up the second point, if some cheap plastic flares get us compliant, is this rule even worth anything?

I don't think so.  It was explained that the intent of the rule was for metal or some other form of flares that won't deform easily and allow wheel to wheel contact.  

Do I have that explanation handy....  nope!

13 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I don't think so.  It was explained that the intent of the rule was for metal or some other form of flares that won't deform easily and allow wheel to wheel contact.  

Do I have that explanation handy....  nope!

See Ray's post, third from the last on page 2.

44 minutes ago, mender said:

See Ray's post, third from the last on page 2.

That's the most non-explaining explanation ever.... haha. I'm an engineer and that is (to me) an unacceptable requirement definition. 

Define "flimsy"... I can smack my flares with my hand and they don't move much. In fact, my fiberglass fenders flex more. 

Flares material needs to be defined (hopefully with an exception/consideration to fiberglass cars) or anything that meets the rules by current definition should be allowed. 

On 2/5/2020 at 8:47 AM, Jer said:

I pay 5 points for mine on the Miata, through measuring material in them. Rear only.

Quoting myself, but I might cut strips out of my bumper and save the points.  Dumbest rule ever, but I was the only dissenter on the Board last April.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jer said:

Quoting myself, but I might cut strips out of my bumper and save the points.  Dumbest rule ever, but I was the only dissenter on the Board last April.  

Yup, has done nothing for safety of cars touching tires. Made the cars look hideous with winglets and sharp edges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jakks said:

Yup, has done nothing for safety of cars touching tires. Made the cars look hideous with winglets and sharp edges.

Ahem... hideous...

Now I will give you nothing for safety but the reality most chose the more direct route. Cut fender. Bend it out. However it looks... it looks.

49513831682_80c9568d52_b.jpg_HP_5251 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

24 minutes ago, mindspin311 said:

The Mini got hit with 10pts for all 4 corners.

Yah and I made them out of fiberglass for 18 cents.

On 2/4/2020 at 11:25 AM, theblue said:

it's quite a can of worms because it's not really about flares, its about the ability to run more tire.  if flares are cheap, then how much are overfenders or whole aftermarket parts.  those will look even better but won't add performance beyond big flares.

sooner or later this series is going to need to consider limiting tire size over stock if we keep going down this road.

Quoted because it bears repeating.  Return to stock wheel openings, limit wheel width, stop (nearly) giving away bearings for "safety", control the arms race....

• Like 1

Last year mine were 8 points.  This year, they were 9 points.  Same fenders.  Only reason I needed them was for the rear but I have decided to fix the wheel issue that's creates the need for the rear spacers I have so I'll get those back.

9 hours ago, RandomTask said:

how much more tire do you want to run? We run sawblades on our 88 TransAm they are plenty wide (17x9.5) 

11 minutes ago, MMiskoe said:

So if you cut out the package shelf that creates the bulkhead between the driver & the fuel you use that material for your flares.  Then because a bulkhead is mandatory safety equipment you fab up a nice one out of materials you purchase at no points.  Right?

Asked and answered: no.

Not that long ago it would have been Bill Strong coming up with these "creative interpretions". ;)

Edited by mender
  • Haha 2