Watkins Glen - Experienced driver looking for a seat

Hi. I am looking to join a team at the May Watkins Glen event.  I have many years of racing and coaching experience beginning with an SCCA ITA FWD Honda Prelude and my current SCCA ITA Miata.  My last race at the SCCA July Sprints I won ITA class; last race of the year at Thompson set the ITA track record and won the race.  While I'm fairly quick, I will also be very respectful of your car as I totally understand how much work and money goes into it.

My goal with the event is to join a fun team, be in a safe and reliable car, get track time, and hopefully do fairly well even if we don't win.  Other aspects are more important to me than winning, although that would be a bonus of course.

Was told it might be helpful to add a video of a recent race.  Obviously no rush since it's still months away though.  :)

Here's Watkins Glen last year.  On grid in pole position it started pouring, we were sent back to the garages to put on wets.  A friend tried helping sway wheels and stripped a wheel stud.  Couldn't to grid on time so had to start in the pits and released after the field went green. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5hELV3FPF8

Edited by granracing

Appreciate the reply Tyler.

Most of my racing has been in about 1/2 - 3/4 hour races, multiple per day.  True, not much endurance racing.  I have been racing wheel-to-wheel since 2003, so I'm far from new to this hobby and understand how to manage equipment, patience, and situational awareness.  I also am fortunate enough to get some factory support from multiple companies.  (Only mentioning that because I need to have consistent quality results to do so.)

Honestly I don't want this to be a high pressure thing.  I've experienced enough of that and while an awesome opportunity, it became more like work.  I really just want to drive quickly, cleanly, bring it back to pits in good shape, get a good amount of quality seat time and most importantly have fun and make some new friends.  This off season I've been doing a fair amount of iRacing and getting some coaching.  Looking forward to see how that pays off.

I could provide references - who would that typically be from?  And in what form would that be in?  Sorry, that is new to me.

Welcome!

Even if you don't get any offers to drive  I would suggest showing up to the race to see what it's all about.  Getting to know a team goes a long way towards getting to be a regular driver.

Good luck!

Even if you don't get any offers to drive  I would suggest showing up to the race to see what it's all about.

I went to one several years ago and really enjoyed it.  I've wanted to do more of these but got sucked into my other racing efforts.  I need to get back to racing being about fun which drew me back here.  I'd love to be a part of a local team, working on the car and so forth but haven't found people who have the level of interest, time and commitment.  

Tim and the Boxster sound interesting and open to talking more.  

Btw, the Boxster cage looks really, really nice!

Edited by granracing