Mufflers...Please advise

Gkuhn41

With the decision to enforce the sound rule we will need to address our car. If @E. Tyler Pedersen popped over 100db I’m sure our car has to be close too his. We currently run two pass through “race” mufflers from Magnaflow and the car is probably over 96db.

Just looking to see if anyone’s found a quality mufflers that don’t blow out that they have had success with.

Currently looking into:

Flowmaster Super HP 2 https://www.holley.com/brands/flowmaster/products/exhaust/mufflers/laminar_flow_mufflers/super_hp-2_series/

Or the 50 series delta force https://www.holley.com/brands/flowmaster/products/exhaust/mufflers/race_mufflers/50_series_delta_force/

8 minutes ago, Gkuhn41 said:

With the decision to enforce the sound rule we will need to address our car. If @E. Tyler Pedersen popped over 100db I’m sure our car has to be close too his. We currently run two pass through “race” mufflers from Magnaflow and the car is probably over 96db.

Just looking to see if anyone’s found a quality mufflers that don’t blow out that they have had success with.

Borla XR-1s work for us, many different lengths and shapes(hint: get the longest one you can fit). They also have a stronger more$$ "rotary" versions with steelwool vs fiberglass packing.

Edited by morganf

1 hour ago, Gkuhn41 said:

Magnaflow and the car is probably over 96db.

If your running at RA I can bring a good meter and we can test it for you, or any other race we will be at.

It will only cost a couple beers :-)

Edited by 55mini
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gkuhn41 said:

Currently looking into:

Flowmaster Super HP 2 https://www.holley.com/brands/flowmaster/products/exhaust/mufflers/laminar_flow_mufflers/super_hp-2_series/

Or the 50 series delta force https://www.holley.com/brands/flowmaster/products/exhaust/mufflers/race_mufflers/50_series_delta_force/

We have used the HP2, we liked it a lot, it was quiet until the baffles disintegrated after 1 race season (8 race weekends).  We tried a second one and the same thing happened.  This was with our 4cylinder 2.5 and 3.0L.  

• Like 1

I have always used a "flowmaster" type muffler.  Used a stainless Spintech on the rotary.  Currently using an Amazon knockoff Autosaver88 single chamber muffler on the E30.  It is very quiet and this type muffler will last as there is no packing or filler

• Technical Advisory Committee
8 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I ran a borla exhaust on my rotary for 9 years.  Even ran lime rock with a 90dB limit with no problem.

If they can quiet a rotary.....

I run a Borla on my Hondog but when VTEC kicks in, its loud as hell. 

Borla-40085-XR-1-Stainless-Sportsman-Racing-Muffler-Round-3-034-Inlet-3-034-Outlet

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, IPF Racing said:

Also which direction does your exhaust point? If it points down that could be making it worse, you can always use a angle on the tip to point it the opposite direction of wherever the meter is going to be....

Right now ours goes straight out the back . I thought about that but they are not giving us any specifics to how they will be testing, just saying "muffle that pig".

Regardless of this sound enforcement we do need to quiet it down. Last year @ Road America test n tune the last session we were 1 of 2 cars on the track, you could clearly hear the car going through Canada all the way to the start finish, it was echoing all over.

On both our cars which were very loud and was more to do with frequency we moved to an off brand stainless turbo muffler and it has been a huge improvement. Guys can now

hear funny noises like a bearing failure or axle clunk and they think it is too quiet.

Two reasons, it changed the note to much lower so it does not bite and the flat muffler does a 180 inside and is glass packed. Best part is it was still cheap. As to brand and 

such I would need to go get that from the muffler shop. I don't do exhaust work myself but can get the numbers if someone wants them.

On 2/6/2020 at 10:16 AM, Huggy said:

This is in my amazon cart, any experience with these things?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000COP64Y/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_60cpEbMGSA4DG

Yes, works well on street cars. Have tried on one race car and so far so good. 

Few key items on mufflers....

Most of these straight thru mufflers work like a filter. Larger the case (width and length) the more it acts like a low pass. 

Longer case lengths and widths will give the best power for a particular sound limit. Other muffler designs do a better job when space limited, but the straight thru do best when power is your objective and you are willing to throw weight and size at it. 

As the exhaust cools along the length of the pipe, the size of pipe\effect of restriction is reduced. You also will find the muffler packing lives longer. Stick the muffler in the back, using one packed with quality steel, and it should do much better.

Edited by Black Magic
  • Thanks 3

On 2/7/2020 at 10:50 AM, Black Magic said:

Stick the muffler in the back, using one packed with quality steel, and it should do much better.

At least for some I think a big factor in the sound level is that the exhaust doesn't make it to the rear, it's dumping out the side and limiting how much muffler you can physically fit on the car before the exit.

• Administrators

I have had really good luck with Dynomax UltraFlow on the v6 MR2 and the Opel GT (not at Sebring, we were mufflerless)

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 10.05.32 AM.png

https://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/ultra-flo-welded-mufflers

I use this muffler 
https://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/ultra-flo-welded-mufflers/ultra-flotm-welded-offset-offset-649.html

This muffler lasted us 15 race weekends before I replaced it. After the first one, I just replaced each winter (10-12 race weekends) and always had a backup exhaust system in the trailer.

• Like 1