Hard-mount radio options

steronz

I'm currently running Midlands GXT1000 radios, I like them well enough but the walkie-talkie in the car leaves something to be desired -- we end up leaving it in the charger running to an adapter and held in place with about 20 zip-ties.  I was looking at using the MXT115 for in-car, I can hardwire it and it has a nice mount and external antenna, but the only input seems to be some RJ plug for a conventional PTT handset.  Is there an adapter on the market for the 2-prong plug that the GXT1000s use?  Is this a case of match the pins and splice your own?  Is there some other product I should be looking at?  Surely someone else has solved this problem.  Thanks in advance.

I’m looking forward to trying this system on my car, literally ordered yesterday. I have raced with Shawn in a previous life. His systems are very competitively priced and work as advertised. He helped us years ago with our diy radio system even though I only bought an small adapter wire from him. This time I’m done trying to match what he sells. I know it will work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2020 at 10:42 PM, Shawn Sampson said:

This might work for your needs. It's already to plug into your current system.

https://www.sampsonracing.com/product-p/src-mini-8900.htm

This piece at say Road Atlanta as a base station in the car is good enough for full track coverage? Our current system works quite well until about Turn 5 and we lose person until black flag. This is our worst track for radio performance. We would love to get full coverage.

Another vote here for anything Shawn and SRC have worked up.  I just called last week to upgrade my DIY helmet kit from Nascar to IMSA which was as always an absolutely painless experience.  

Shawn,  both teams I race with have made the switch to digital handhelds, I think that rules out the 8900 but I just saw the 9600 for the first time (https://www.sampsonracing.com/Digital-DMR-Dual-band-Racing-Radio-p/src-md-9600.htm).  Would this be our logical next step to stay digital for everything?

• Like 2

All of the SRC digital system will give you 100% coverage from car to crew and crew to car at any track in the US as long as the in-car antenna system is set up correct and the crew is using it in a open area. That being said, even at Laguna Seca crews can talk to the drivers around the track and that from inside the garages with the car in T6 behind a massive hill.

5 hours ago, Shawn Sampson said:

All of the SRC digital system will give you 100% coverage from car to crew and crew to car at any track in the US as long as the in-car antenna system is set up correct and the crew is using it in a open area. That being said, even at Laguna Seca crews can talk to the drivers around the track and that from inside the garages with the car in T6 behind a massive hill.

Awesome. We want to upgrade to a unit in the car so sounds like the Mini 25W would do us well.

• Like 2