Jump to content

Has a B class car ever finished top 5 over all


Steve Peterson
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Steve Peterson said:

Just like title says has a B class car ever won or finished in the top 5 when and where, what was the make and model 

 

I am just wondering if need to move up to C class to have a chance at top 5 over all 

There are generally few B class cars because 2.01 - 2.44 (or whatever it is) is a fairly narrow and uncommon engine size (larger than most 4 cylinder engines and smaller than most/all 6). They aren't any worse than A or C or D. B class is growing with all the ecotec swapped cars around, there will certainly be a B class win in 2020 at a well attended event.

Edited by enginerd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Steve Peterson said:

Just like title says has a B class car ever won or finished in the top 5 when and where, what was the make and model 

 

I am just wondering if need to move up to C class to have a chance at top 5 over all 

In 2015 we got 5th at the VIR 24hr in a 240sx with stock motor, and an Integra with a B20 placed higher.

But cars have gotten a lot faster in the last 5 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We came 3rd in a NC Miata at Harris hill.

 

Plenty of fast B cars, but a few years ago (or so) B class was for sure the slowest class.

 

I think biggest problem for B class cars is the fuel capacity, they typically have 13 gallons or so and about 150-170 rwhp. That's a stretch at COTA and similar tracks. Class C cars usually have 17 gallons.

 

NC miatas, turbo A cars, ecotec miatas, swapped Civics, etc....

Edited by turbogrill
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2nd gen rx7s have won lots of races.  Sahleens, GMS, Roto plookers, etc.  

 

Non turbo rx7 are b class.

 

I believe @Mopar 4 Life has a few wins.  If not, at least a ton of top 5s.  They are b class, or were, also. 1st gen neons.

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

2nd gen rx7s have won lots of races.  Sahleens, GMS, Roto plookers, etc.  

 

Non turbo rx7 are b class.

 

I believe @Mopar 4 Life has a few wins.  If not, at least a ton of top 5s.  They are b class, or were, also. 1st gen neons.


From when we started in 2010 our class B neon had 14 wins. We also had another 30 or so 2nd and 3rds. 
 

Numbers may be off 1 or 2. The trophies are not all in one place anymore. 
 

Class B cars will gain in popularity with the newer cars entering the fold. My team is currently building a new car and it is class B as well, but we don’t really worry what class were in. 
 

I am more worried about it not being a Chrysler product. I stay awake at night thinking about it, sometimes I cry in the corner of my room too.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/9/2020 at 9:13 AM, mindspin311 said:

A new B class car had it's 1st race at Road Atlanta yesterday and was Top 5 overall at one point.

 

Wow, seriously?  An early 2000s R53 CooperS has the same VPI as our normally aspirated 87 300zx. 

 

 

Has anyone ever successfully lowered their VPI through a petition?

 

Edited by Bremsen
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee

@Steve Peterson

The classes are not a measure of performance, but instead are just randomly drawn designations of engine size. A,B,C,D ......they don't make a bit of difference as far as ability to win or podium overall. 

If you are trying to get a class win, D or B is easiest because those simply have the least number of entries.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Bremsen said:

 

Wow, seriously?  An early 2000s R53 CooperS has the same VPI as our normally aspirated 87 300zx. 

 

 

Has anyone ever successfully lowered their VPI through a petition?

 

I would say rather than lowering points on old cars, points probably need to be higher on the new cars.    Just a thought. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/8/2020 at 1:32 AM, enginerd said:

There are generally few B class cars because 2.01 - 2.44 (or whatever it is) is a fairly narrow and uncommon engine size (larger than most 4 cylinder engines and smaller than most/all 6). They aren't any worse than A or C or D. B class is growing with all the ecotec swapped cars around, there will certainly be a B class win in 2020 at a well attended event.

 

For the sake of accuracy, Class B is 1.92 to 2.40 liters.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've always been in B Class with our 2.3L 1990 Audi 90 Quattro sedan.  We tend to place top 10 overall (highest was 6th overall) and have won a few B-Class trophies over the past few years. 

 

My advice when building a car is to find something your team knows how to make and keep reliable, as well as fix fast in a race.  We run the Audi because 3 of our team members know that car like the back of their hand.  We've had no DNF's in 10 years.  It's not the fastest on lap times but still faster than about half the cars at any race.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bremsen said:

 

Wow, seriously?  An early 2000s R53 CooperS has the same VPI as our normally aspirated 87 300zx. 

 

 

Has anyone ever successfully lowered their VPI through a petition?

 

 

Yes several have in recent years. Most happen through direct contact (however that happens I don't know) vs the written petition process we go through for new rules. I think some of the updated VPI lists have these updated vales marked in red. 

 

Trying to skirt around this, since it can cause political battles. There have historically been a few VPI adjustments that went with rule changes, often with the same chassis affected by both in the same year....

 

I would suggest a VPI reduction goes best with hard data (numbers) supporting how your car matches lower vpi cars on an equal technical basis, rather than a comparison of on track performance (known as the we haven't won in awhile excuse). I think the Z car and the mini would be the hardest comparison to make, but comparing to other less fuel starved rwd mid sized car might make a good case. 

Edited by Black Magic
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bremsen said:

 

 

 

1 hour ago, Black Magic said:

 

Yes several have in recent years. Most happen through direct contact (however that happens I don't know) vs the written petition process we go through for new rules. I think some of the updated VPI lists have these updated vales marked in red. 

 

Trying to skirt around this, since it can cause political battles. There have historically been a few VPI adjustments that went with rule changes, often with the same chassis affected by both in the same year....

 

I would suggest a VPI reduction goes best with hard data (numbers) supporting how your car matches lower vpi cars on an equal technical basis, rather than a comparison of on track performance (known as the we haven't won in awhile excuse). I think the Z car and the mini would be the hardest comparison to make, but comparing to other less fuel starved rwd mid sized car might make a good case. 

The Mini is definitely in the camp of fuel starved

Edited by mindspin311
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...