Jump to content

Typical rental cost and what to expect?


Recommended Posts

Hi.  I did a Champcar races several years ago and have often had it in my mind to do more of them.  I am sure the rental fees range based on if a full fancy arrive and drive with front winning car to a car that probably won't last the entire enduro and be fairly slow.  What I'm curious about is what to expect pricing wise for a car that is relatively quick, a non "professional" team that is good but not having to overly cater to their drivers, with a safe and reliable car.

 

Any other advice or information on this topic would be appreciated as well.  Thank you.

Dave Gran

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a hard question to answer, but the range I think you could expect based on the type of team you're looking for will range from $1200-2000 for 2 full stints.  This would not include tracks like Indianapolis (where the entrance fee is much higher) or any other anomalies that might affect the cost of the race for the team.

The professionally operated, full arrive and drive experience type teams will often be well above $2k.

If someone has a different opinion, please chime in!

Edited by Slugworks Paul
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems dead on.  I never checked to see what the full catered, driver coached, arrive and drive teams charged but most others I checked were $1200-$1500 for two stints, not necessarily (2) 2hr drives.  In doing the math for my team that is about what it costs to run a race.  That excludes the high profile tracks like Indy and COTA and the 24hr races.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it can really vary based upon the type of team, the event (higher profile tracks will both have increased entry fees and desirability), and the driver (prior relationship to the team, experience in CCES). From my experience as a renter/rentee and market research since we started in 2017, a general rule of thumb, by type of team, is as below. This is based upon a full "stint", which will generally be 1hr45 (for something like a 7+7) or 2hr (for any even numbered race distance), at a popular event that's not IMS or COTA, and for a driver who has reasonable experience on track but not necessarily w2w or with endurance racing.

 

Team Type 1 - Car that will not necessarily be reliable or front-running, but caters to renters looking for w2w experience - $500-$700/stint

 

Team Type 2 - Car that will be safe and reliable, but not necessarily in contention for the overall win - $700-$900/stint

 

Team Type 3 - Car that will be fast and potentially top-5 but not necessarily top-tier reliability, who still need renters to help out and hustle - $800-$1k/stint

 

Team Type 4 - Car that is run by a team that offers "arrive-and-drive" packages that will be fast and reliable and have a full crew to take care of cars - $900-$1200/stint

 

Ultimately, for any renter, it's a question of asking yourself what you want from your race experience; do you want to be in with a shot of a top-5 finish with the understanding that the car may break and you get no track time, do you want to be more sure of getting your fully allotted time on track with the understanding you will probably not be winning any trophies, or do you want to just rock up and drive your scheduled stint and then chill in the a/c in the motorhome. The great thing about CCES is that all of these options will probably be on offer at any given event. 

Edited by Rapido
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What about team 3.5 that is reliable, can win, but doesn't provide anything for the driver except an explanation of how to hold the fire bottle during pit stops?  Your expected to help prep the car for the next day too...

 

I'm guessing like 600 to 900 per stint.

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's always a case of Team X.x, every team is different in how they run and budget for events and there are consequently many variables outside of just track/event/driver. Maybe the team owner is in trade and so their consumables cost is reduced. Maybe you bring in special race fuel in cunningly disguised drums of 93 RON. Maybe the team has an established build/car that has been running for a while and so they're putting less money into upgrades or development. And so on....

 

Most important thing is to identify what the renter is looking for, and to find a team that is aligned with their personality and goals. 

Edited by Rapido
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Rapido said:

I think it can really vary based upon the type of team, the event (higher profile tracks will both have increased entry fees and desirability), and the driver (prior relationship to the team, experience in CCES). From my experience as a renter/rentee and market research since we started in 2017, a general rule of thumb, by type of team, is as below. This is based upon a full "stint", which will generally be 1hr45 (for something like a 7+7) or 2hr (for any even numbered race distance), at a popular event that's not IMS or COTA, and for a driver who has reasonable experience on track but not necessarily w2w or with endurance racing.

 

Team Type 1 - Car that will not necessarily be reliable or front-running, but caters to renters looking for w2w experience - $500-$700/stint

 

Team Type 2 - Car that will be safe and reliable, but not necessarily in contention for the overall win - $700-$900/stint

 

Team Type 3 - Car that will be fast and potentially top-5 but not necessarily top-tier reliability, who still need renters to help out and hustle - $800-$1k/stint

 

Team Type 4 - Car that is run by a team that offers "arrive-and-drive" packages that will be fast and reliable and have a full crew to take care of cars - $900-$1200/stint

 

Ultimately, for any renter, it's a question of asking yourself what you want from your race experience; do you want to be in with a shot of a top-5 finish with the understanding that the car may break and you get no track time, do you want to be more sure of getting your fully allotted time on track with the understanding you will probably not be winning any trophies, or do you want to just rock up and drive your scheduled stint and then chill in the a/c in the motorhome. The great thing about CCES is that all of these options will probably be on offer at any given event. 

I have not been charging enough....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing against Rapido  we just came across different teams .

How's this Slug,  front running car $1000 -$1400.   $700 -$1200 24hr events top 10 finish.   Nothing contradictory here  just  real life experience of  what I have paid over 8 yrs.   I have contacted enough teams since 2012 that I know what teams charge.   Indy was offered on this site for $1500  not long ago.    But then again your the guy that thinks that you can't get a roll cage built for under $6K .    Perhaps you should get all the  facts before you make your own negative comments.   But being a newbie you should know that  anything can happen to any car anytime at any event so price doesn't always reflect where you may finish.   Hell if you didn't have such a poor attitude I could get you into a well prepared car for the  VIR 24hr for $1100.  

Maybe some day we'll meet at a race and you and I can go to the nearest Home Depot.  🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, DEE DEE said:

Nothing against Rapido  we just came across different teams .

How's this Slug,  front running car $1000 -$1400.   $700 -$1200 24hr events top 10 finish.   Nothing contradictory here  just  real life experience of  what I have paid over 8 yrs.   I have contacted enough teams since 2012 that I know what teams charge.   Indy was offered on this site for $1500  not long ago.    But then again your the guy that thinks that you can't get a roll cage built for under $6K .    Perhaps you should get all the  facts before you make your own negative comments.   But being a newbie you should know that  anything can happen to any car anytime at any event so price doesn't always reflect where you may finish.   Hell if you didn't have such a poor attitude I could get you into a well prepared car for the  VIR 24hr for $1100.  

Maybe some day we'll meet at a race and you and I can go to the nearest Home Depot.  🤣


My first champcar (then chumpcar) race was spring of 2010. I will say, prices have changed in the last decade for sure. $800 seats (2 stints) used to be more common. You could race with a very solid team for $1000 for the weekend. I think that is due to both entrance fee increases but mostly due to the increased level of prep on cars, we've long since departed from anything resembling a 'crapcan' in most of the field.

Thank you for your straw man argument - I did not in fact say anything nearing 'you can't get a roll cage built for under $6K'. That was a Phoenix performance cage, which is definitely a top notch professional level cage.

I won't argue that i'm not a newbie as compared to you, I just wish your experience tempered your opinions a bit more. I do not have a poor attitude, if I'm given a great deal on a seat I am thankful for the opportunity and try to contribute to the team to justify that deal.

Did you ever think that perhaps teams offer you a better deal due to your background in professional racing, and what YOU would bring to a team? Food for thought.

Edited by Slugworks Paul
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

I have not been charging enough....

It all depends upon what type of renter and the experience they will expect you to provide.  A friend owns a race shop and sometimes says he doesn't charge enough.  Then he sees some competitors who do charge more and the BS they encounter from some of their customers.

 

Related to this subject and again, know it varies, but how are damage costs typically handled?  Any typical agreements you've seen?  And what if damage is occurred due to equipment failure such as a hub failure, brakes, or ???  

Edited by granracing
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, granracing said:

It all depends upon what type of renter and the experience they will expect you to provide.  A friend owns a race shop and sometimes says he doesn't charge enough.  Then he sees some competitors who do charge more and the BS they encounter from some of their customers.

 

Related to this subject and again, know it varies, but how are damage costs typically handled?  Any typical agreements you've seen?  And what if damage is occurred due to equipment failure such as a hub failure, brakes, or ???  

We’ve had two incidents with damage while renter was driving. The first was a blown engine, could not find any fault from the driver through GoPro footage, engine just gave up the ghost and ate a valve. I paid the $2000 for that one, did not ask for anything. The other was a small collision that was driver fault, I asked for (and was paid without issue) enough money to cover the cost of replacing the damaged parts.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2020 at 1:24 PM, granracing said:

Related to this subject and again, know it varies, but how are damage costs typically handled?  Any typical agreements you've seen?  And what if damage is occurred due to equipment failure such as a hub failure, brakes, or ???  

 

renters really need to pay close attention to damage clauses  and factor them into pricing.    I consider my team 3 to 3.5 on the scale above for pricing and position but if you factor that we don't have a damage clause but instead have a handshake agreement with our drivers that they will help (undefined how they will help) on damage we all agree they caused outside of racing incidents.  Renters love us for this, and we only run with people we trust.   we've had a couple things come up over the years and we've turned away money and never felt shorted.  it's a respect thing that's hard to do with unknown / unproven drivers in the series or to us.

 

when I'm renting I'd take a more expensive team that isn't going to chase me for a new clutch because they reviewed footage after and felt I was hard on changes etc...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, theblue said:

 

renters really need to pay close attention to damage clauses  and factor them into pricing.    I consider my team 3 to 3.5 on the scale above for pricing and position but if you factor that we don't have a damage clause but instead have a handshake agreement with our drivers that they will help (undefined how they will help) on damage we all agree they caused outside of racing incidents.  Renters love us for this, and we only run with people we trust.   we've had a couple things come up over the years and we've turned away money and never felt shorted.  it's a respect thing that's hard to do with unknown / unproven drivers in the series or to us.

 

when I'm renting I'd take a more expensive team that isn't going to chase me for a new clutch because they reviewed footage after and felt I was hard on changes etc...

Yea!! I read a rental agreement damage clause a few years back that spelled out cost of every part and had charges for ‘damaging driving’ not resulting in an actual broken part. For instance, they had $$$ per instance of the tach reading above XXXX rpm.

Edited by enginerd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, enginerd said:

Yea!! I read a rental agreement damage clause a few years back that spelled out cost of every part and had charges for ‘damaging driving’ not resulting in an actual broken part. For instance, they had $$$ per instance of the tach reading above XXXX rpm.

I rented a spec ford race car out at msr Houston years ago and they had the same thing in it. Above shift light= x dollars. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...