Rd Atlanta Man versus Weather

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ours was like "hell no you stay out, we ain't letting those guys take 3rd without a race" and as soon as I quit keying the mic I said I sure am glad it's huggy out there and not me.

Since I usually skip over lengthy posts (ain't got no time for that) I will try to stick to my own rule and go with a bulleted list for our report.   I had a bad problem at work Wednesday n

What an insane weekend, start to finish.   First of all, Hats off to the Cone Crushers guys.  100% made my weekend, went over and above out of their way to help us out.   The Burni

Posted Images

I thought Fall Road America 2018 was bad, this looked much worse, didn’t look fun at all. Great decisions on CCES to keep the competitors as safe as possible.

Congrats to Parts Badger and the others in top five. Heck congrats if you kept it on the pavement!

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Ray Franck said:

stories

Kind of tired right now on the way home but here it is.

First time for everything I suppose.

Got on the car @ 5:30, for my first and only stint, Spun out/stalled entering t1 while exiting the pits 😔 woah, had to be going a whole 45mph but was not yet on line.

After readjusting the shorts I proceeded with a new respect for the next 1.5 hrs of wet, at some point thought  I could go faster then a (red) neon into t1, possibly could have, if traffic didn’t have me wide on entry,  this time I was very thankful to meet the gravel for the first time in 7? Races.

Unfortunately the car would not refire, got towed back, found a blown fuse, when my head came up to get the next driver ready, fog had formed seemingly from nowhere, just then Mike announced “8 pm end”, after discussion, we called it and loaded...

Edited by Team Infiniti

Do you want to build a snowman? 

We (Propaganda #22) had a great time even though lap count was low. We built a snow man, sled down the cold pit Hill, snowball fought, and raced a little. Even got the Sportsmanship award for this race. :)

Our first driver got a nice bump in the rear bumper from someone at the top of the hill between 10 and 12, hopefully someone here has some input or video. 

The e30 was running strong (managed a 1:50 fastest in the morning dry session), but between the random pole position generator, and so few laps, we just kinda stayed in th same position for the day. Our car isn't overly fast, so we count on it's reliability and pit strategy to hopefully finish in the top 15-ish. 

I got in the car late, so it was a full course caution, and only got about half a track of green before the race was called. Wow, it was hard to see in that fog at night!

To give those of you who weren't there here is a brief look...one of my 3 only green laps during my only stint before the checker. The last restart. Many drivers could not even see the next flag station and where hesitant to go. Crazy conditions that would have closed some ski resorts. Snow, wet track, freezing fog, dropping temps and 200 yard visibility.

Edited by AtlJimK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The Lee Container Pontiac Firebird by Speedway Creations is starting to take shape.

This is our third race with this new platform to us and we have really started to work out the bugs and get it dialed in.  Coming from a car that ran like 1:55 lap at Road Atlanta to one that ran a 1:46 was quite the thrill.  I'm excited to see what the future holds for us as we get more comfortable with the car.  

I feel bad for my teammates, they all got the bad weather to deal with.  I think we started around 40th something and I had made my way to the top 10 when the white stuff started, wasn't bad at first, but then the track started to go ahead and I wasn't enjoying my American muscle anymore.  You see, I think I have driven in snow flurries once in my life.  Racing in a full on snow storm, well, now I'm not sure hold I would have prepared for that, and it shows, because we fell way back.  We were also joined by Ed from Team Infinti and it was a pleasure having you as always Ed.  Those pit roads are treacherous man, you'll get it next time.

Champcar staff, great job as always, I know those are tough decisions.  .

Looking forward to Daytona and maybe some high bank drafting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, AtlJimK said:

To give those of you who weren't there here is a brief look...one of my 3 only green laps during my only stint before the checker. The last restart. Many drivers could not even see the next flag station and where hesitant to go. Crazy conditions that would have closed some ski resorts. Snow, wet track, freezing fog, dropping temps and 200 yard visibility.

The "rain light" on the black Civic is bull cookies and they should have been black flagged. That is NOT the way a rain light is supposed to work and they literally blinded everybody behind them with a bright strobing light mounted at eye level.

A stunning lack of consideration for fellow drivers and I think it is what contributed to the clusterf$ck restart near the end of the race. Many drivers thought that was the pace car because all they saw was the light. 

• Like 9

I drove stint from 530-715.  Track was wet but manageable, off track slushymud.  Fog started rolling in right before 7 by 715ish couldn't see turn 1 from pits.  Thanks to all the wrecker and safety crews, they did a lot more hot pulls than we expected and we got more laps because of it.  Tough weekend for Mike and the crew to decide what to do but that's part of this game.   Thanks to Jay for keeping the tech lines moving at a snails pace HA...apologies to anyone we might have bumped...At least we can all say we have driven in the snow now.....Al McPeters #594

IMG_1014.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, WOT-Tech said:

Do you want to build a snowman? 

We (Propaganda #22) had a great time even though lap count was low. We built a snow man, sled down the cold pit Hill, snowball fought, and raced a little. Even got the Sportsmanship award for this race. :)

Our first driver got a nice bump in the rear bumper from someone at the top of the hill between 10 and 12, hopefully someone here has some input or video. 

The e30 was running strong (managed a 1:50 fastest in the morning dry session), but between the random pole position generator, and so few laps, we just kinda stayed in th same position for the day. Our car isn't overly fast, so we count on it's reliability and pit strategy to hopefully finish in the top 15-ish. 

I got in the car late, so it was a full course caution, and only got about half a track of green before the race was called. Wow, it was hard to see in that fog at night!

download_20200208_130904.jpg

• Like 1

Team loose Change had quite a weekend. 

We were on our roof in practice because someone decided to enter the pits late. Unfortunate incident due to driver inexperience, but nobody was hurt.

Huge effort to get it back together for the race. Really proud of the team for getting it fixed.  Then we forgot the transponder in the morning so we gave up 13 laps for free before getting it in.

Had a couple incidents in 12 and electrical issues, but we finished!

The most terrifying 15 minutes I have ever driven.

Crowd Control Mustang and I had one super fun battle though.  Very well driven on their part.  Clean racing through a terrible situation.  Not having any gear but 4th gear really hurt the Lexus when stuck behind traffic (that winged Miata probably made the difference, but all those other cars too) and momentum was lost.  

No idea why there were 99 cars on the short straight and back straight under green flag. That was an accident waiting to happen.

https://youtu.be/U4cUbAjYlpY?t=17131

• Like 6
55 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Crowd Control Mustang and I had one super fun battle though.  Very well driven on their part.  Clean racing through a terrible situation.  Not having any gear but 4th gear really hurt the Lexus when stuck behind traffic (that winged Miata probably made the difference, but all those other cars too) and momentum was lost.  

No idea why there were 99 cars on the short straight and back straight under green flag. That was an accident waiting to happen.

Holy crap, my mouth with open the whole time watching that.

Good work

56 minutes ago, Huggy said:

I was right behind you coming up into that gaggle on the back straight. I used far more colorful language to describe the situation to my team on the radio. 

9 hours ago, Snorman said:

The "rain light" on the black Civic is bull cookies and they should have been black flagged. That is NOT the way a rain light is supposed to work and they literally blinded everybody behind them with a bright strobing light mounted at eye level.

A stunning lack of consideration for fellow drivers and I think it is what contributed to the clusterf$ck restart near the end of the race. Many drivers thought that was the pace car because all they saw was the light. 

Thank you Snorman for you comment on our "bull cookies" rain light. We were just trying to follow the rules and be safe out on track.

In the ChampCar rulebook, it stats:

9.9.4.1. Rear Rain Lights: A rear rain-light is recommended but not required. Placement is to be in the center rear area in the place that the license plate would normally be mounted. It is only to be flashing during rain/wet/ fog/snow weather. It is permitted to turn on with the brakes. It is permitted to be on solid at night if it has a dim setting and is not operating at 100% power. The Lifeline rain-light in “flash mode” alternates between 60% and 100% power. At any other setting, it operates at 100% power, so we recommend that the light be “switched” and only used during foul weather events.

It was our interpretation of this rule that this event at Road Atlanta this weekend fell under the "foul weather events." We found it very important due to the lack of visibility of the race, that having a well visible car was very important for the safety of our drivers, and the other drivers around us. I'm sorry if our flashing LifeLine rain light was causing your drivers the "clusterf$ck" on restarts. I hope at the next "foul weather event", they can tell the difference between a flashing Red light that is a rain light, and a flashing Yellow/Orange light that is on the pace car. 

I do admit, our light was mounted a little high in our chassis, and can be mounted a little lower. I will make sure to change that for the next event. But the flashing FIA spec LifeLine Rain Light will remain on our cars, and will be used for "foul weather events" again in the future.

I thank you for the constructive criticism on our car, and please me us know if you have any other comments or tips on our cars for the next event.

Cheers

Trevor Hill

www.twothautosport.com

9 minutes ago, Luckyontheducky said:

What was the drive home like?

Well, for the northern 1/2 of Money Pit Racing, they live in Atlanta so they had to deal with the freezing fog.  As for the southern 1/2 of the team and the car, we arrived in Central Florida this afternoon to sunny and 75 degrees.  Just the way a cold winter's day should be.

• Like 2

I would like to thank the ChampCar provided VW Touareg and Continental tires for the amazing time I had on Road Atlanta. It had been a few years since I have driven on the best course in North America. Even though I could not go at the extreme limit of like I would in my MR2, it was fun getting sideways in the VW. Being part of the crew that helped to prep the track for the racers was an absolute blast. 

I would like to request that we have snow at Daytona, COTA, and Indy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Huggy said:

what a photo!  Epic race for buying a photo package!

People missed out :)

23 minutes ago, Luckyontheducky said:

I know how Atlanta can be in winter weather.  What was the drive home like?

Drove 15min to some tacos. Then home. No issue to local area.

Since I usually skip over lengthy posts (ain't got no time for that) I will try to stick to my own rule and go with a bulleted list for our report.

• I had a bad problem at work Wednesday night, told the guys looks like I am out if they wanna race, come get the car.  They do.
  • Car is good in practice, they put the new tires on to scrub them, next text I get "engine spun a rod bearing".
  • I say well, now I don't have to drive to Atl, next text says we found a motor!  We are gonna take the car to Rich's shop (Cone Crushers) and put this $300 baby in.
  • I get work issues sorta laid out, head to Athens that night.  I get there at 2am, the engine is just about ready to fire up.  A few wrap up items then we set timing, take it for a test spin, load 'er up.  See a coolant leak at back of motor when in trailer tieing it down, say to heck with it fix in the morning.
  • Get back to track a little before 4am, back up at 6am, roll car out, fix the coolant leak.
  • Good start by Casey, back in the pack a bit, he calls in says can't shift have to stay in 4th or never get back in gear until less than 2000 rpm.
  • It starts snowing.  Some time later,  Huggy calls in says overheating.  Found front grill plugged with snow.  Removed wire screen, ok after.
  • Since track is wet and multiple cautions bunching the cars back up we stay in the hunt in spite of 4th gear only.  Turn 7 and turn 10 are the only ones hurting us due to clutch/trans issue.  Good momentum practice for all the guys that drove.
  • More snow, red flag, the track does awesome job getting it ready to go after the snow stopped.  I didn't think there was any way they do that, so hats off.
  • Put @Hurljohn in the car after red flag for short stint to get us to fuel window.  Good stint.
  • Preston in next, does good momentum driving and gets us into top 5 then turns it over to Huggy for what ends up being the last stint. 
  • Fog rolls in.
  • See Huggy's video linked above, totally insane.  Brings it home in 4th place after a great battle for 3rd the last 15 min with @Snorman in that insanity.

Good call by Champcar to halt the race when they did.  Somebody was going to get a damaged car or worse yet a damaged body.  The timing was right, it needed to happen.

I know none of them will likely see this, but thanks to the corner workers for staying out in that mess.  Thanks to the staff for another great event in spite of it being cut short.  On to Sonoma this weekend.

Edited by Burningham
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1