Proper rain light installation.

Snorman

This isn't it. ***Credit to Money PIt Racing for the in-car video...it is not their car with the rain light, but they have great video***

This isn't a rain light. This was a blind and disorient your fellow competitor light. It's improperly mounted, and I'm pretty certain it directly contributed to a total mess of a restart on the back straight. Half the field seemingly thought it was the pace car and they were not going back to green. Not sure that Tech would approve of this install, so would guess that they simply didn't know about it. 

But it was freaking dangerous at night. I was blinded in the lower esses and between T5-T6. 

DSYZ2C.jpg

APRioz.jpg

Edited by Snorman

13 minutes ago, DEE DEE said:

I don't think brake / tail  lites  should be mounted in any place other than the stock location also.

That would mean a lot of cars need some changes including mine.

What the reasoning for that?

Stock tail lights are pretty vulnerable in a lot of stock locations.

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

I 100% agree with your statement about that flashing rain light on the hatchback.  What a fustercluck!

FYI, the rain light was turned on on your 626 car at night and it was so bright I couldn't see past your car because of the glare off of the windshield.  I think it might have been on by mistake as I saw it turned off in the video above.    Rain lights at night are no good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, dinanm3atl said:

It's additional safety/awareness things. Needed? No... helpful? Yes.

Not helpful at the current brightness if it is blinding everyone behind them, almost looks like an emergency vehicle going by

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Huggy said:

I 100% agree with your statement about that flashing rain light on the hatchback.  What a fustercluck!

FYI, the rain light was turned on on your 626 car at night and it was so bright I couldn't see past your car because of the glare off of the windshield.  I think it might have been on by mistake as I saw it turned off in the video above.    Rain lights at night are no good.

I know when I was in the Cobra that we radioed out to the Mazda to turn off the rain light. Thanks for the feedback, we'll make sure we aren't running these at night. 

BUT, our light is mounted in the proper location and it's not flashing ALL the time like this light was. It's also set on the low setting and only flashes under braking. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Snorman said:

I know when I was in the Cobra that we radioed out to the Mazda to turn off the rain light. Thanks for the feedback, we'll make sure we aren't running these at night. 

BUT, our light is mounted in the proper location and it's not flashing ALL the time like this light was. It's also set on the low setting and only flashes under braking. 

Maybe they could slow the flash down to more of a slow strobe...   a pulse if you will I guess...   watching huggy's video it was really bad when he got up behind him

9 minutes ago, Justin9 said:

Maybe they could slow the flash down to more of a slow strobe...   a pulse if you will I guess...   watching huggy's video it was really bad when he got up behind him

That Honda was really bad for anybody who was behind them. It was a constant strobe at eye level. 

That's not where or how a rain light should be installed. 

The installation of this light is high and not ideal, but I think the real issue is its use at night.  The rain light is meant for daytime. Tail lights suffice at night. 

After some crazy down pours this year I am considering installing a FIA rain light, but it'll be on a separate switch for day time low visibility scenarios. Not night. Personally I'd like to see rain lights on all cars. Closing in on a slow car without a light in the rain is scary. One race I passed guys stopped and pulled over. Had I not been off their line it would have been bad. A light would have been nice...

Perhaps the rule book should be updated to day time use only. 

Edited by veris
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Huggy said:

yeah it was left on by mistake and once i noticed it flashing going into T1, we called the driver and had it shut off.  Sorry go the guys who were behind him for those laps.

• Like 1

If they allow rain lights they need to spell out clearly how they want them to function. Flash all the time, only when braking, dim when on and flash when brake whatever they decide.

Second Champcar needs to be the ones who say when they get turned on and off.

Just my opinion.

• Like 4

I noticed that rain light in some of the love stream and I though Holy Crap is that dangerous.

Rain lights are meant to be mounted low so they're visible a great distance, but not blinding at close range.  Someone needs to have a talk with that team.  Hopefully it wasn't intentional.

52 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

I noticed that rain light in some of the love stream and I though Holy Crap is that dangerous.

Rain lights are meant to be mounted low so they're visible a great distance, but not blinding at close range.  Someone needs to have a talk with that team.  Hopefully it wasn't intentional.

It's everybody else's fault because we (and our drivers) should all have known that their "LifeLine rain light" that was not mounted per the BCCR provision and flashing 100% of the time was a rain light and not an EV light. 

As several people have mentioned, this light was mounted too high. We (Lifeline) do offer the brightest solution on the market and are very proud of that vs the price paid for the added insurance and compared to other FIA rain lights on the market that barely meet the standard, and ours can actually be seen in the heaviest of downpours due to the intensity and being on the upper threshold of the maximum allowed "brightness". Also, as others have mentioned, the light should be mounted low for this reason. Ideally, no higher than the stock brake/tail lights for most cars, down to the bottom most point of the bumper. This prevents a direct line of sight to most drivers(which, as noted is blinding) and our light is still visible at lower angles, as opposed to many other brands on the market.

And on that note, we do get a lot of feedback about the light being too bright (specifically during a 24 Hour Champcar Race out west last year, no rain, completely dry, being used at night). In reality, this is a RAIN light, not a "bright light", or "additional brake light". While it can be wired in and used as a brake light, it's not meant to be. It's designed and meant to run during rain/downpours when visibility is limited. Running it as a brake light at night in a dry race doesn't offer any added benefit and will partially blind your competitors.

Edited by Brandon Marshall
Adding info
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brandon Marshall said:

As several people have mentioned, this light was mounted too high. We (Lifeline) do offer the brightest solution on the market and are very proud of that vs the price paid for the added insurance and compared to other FIA rain lights on the market that barely meet the standard, and ours can actually be seen in the heaviest of downpours due to the intensity and being on the upper threshold of the maximum allowed "brightness". Also, as others have mentioned, the light should be mounted low for this reason. Ideally, no higher than the stock brake/tail lights for most cars, down to the bottom most point of the bumper. This prevents a direct line of sight to most drivers(which, as noted is blinding) and our light is still visible at lower angles, as opposed to many other brands on the market.

Is there a way to wire your light to reduce brightness? Do you sell an adhesive “tinting film“ which can be put over the light to reduce brightness?

18 minutes ago, Brandon Marshall said:

And on that note, we do get a lot of feedback about the light being too bright (specifically during a 24 Hour Champcar Race out west last year, no rain, completely dry, being used at night). In reality, this is a RAIN light, not a "bright light", or "additional brake light". While it can be wired in and used as a brake light, it's not meant to be. It's designed and meant to run during rain/downpours when visibility is limited. Running it as a brake light at night in a dry race doesn't offer any added benefit and will partially blind your competitors.

Brandon,

Thanks for the info. We have been running the LifeLine rain lights on our cars since 2018 (we purchased one at VIR and another a few weeks later). Our lights are lit on the "low" setting during normal driving and flash only on braking. But they are still pretty bright, so we are trying to be careful and not run these at night even in the rain. 

a0y8UW.jpg